Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on February 09, 2022, 12:16:26 PM
Pandemic will be over in England in less than two weeks.
So it'll be over in Scotland in three weeks :lol:

It seems to be happening across Europe now. I think a couple of countries with vaccine passes have announced they're probably going to wind them down over the next month or two. Countries seem to be changing their pre-flight/travel testing requirements too.

I think the only remaining requirement is the legal obligation to self-isolate which is going to be lifted a month earlier than planned. From what I've read SAGE didn't recommend it, but it seems that SAGE members aren't particularly worried/pushing agianst it - one journalist quoted one of them saying "it has to happen at some point".

I think it does make sense - at least in heavily vaccinated Western Europe - given omicron. But again, as with schools and kids, it's an interesting divergence between North America and Europe on this.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Yes, Portugal announced on February 6 that PCR and antigenic tests were no longer required, as long as you have had your 3 vaccine shots. Greece followed, the very next day.

crazy canuck

Hmmm, Portuguese vacation is sounding better and better.

The Larch

Spain is doing away with masks outdoors this week. It never had much of a point in the first place.

They'll still be required indoors and in public transport.

Sheilbh

And on the legal requirement to self isolate - about half the British public think that should always be law :lol: :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Covidiots were planning several car/truck convoys into Vienna for tomorrow afternoon. While unclear how many participants those might bring, the police have banned them, because there's strong indications it would not just be a convoy but that participants would seek to block various key points. And since Friday afternoon is when loads of people try to get out of the city ...
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 09, 2022, 05:48:18 PM
And on the legal requirement to self isolate - about half the British public think that should always be law :lol: :bleeding:

48%. :hmm:

I mean. I guess it's good the cursed numbers have flipped but...
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Why is it so bad?

We should extend legal requirements to isolate to other infectious disease.

Showingupism is such a plague.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

Sheilbh

Sure but there's a difference between that and having the requirement to self-isolate in criminal law that the police can fine you for and that you can be checked on.

We made loads of public health measures crimes if you breached - I think that's justifiable and proportionate in response to a public health emergency, but once that emergency goes it's neither. It's the standard thing - give the state/police/intelligence agencies emergency powers and they're very difficult to get rid of.

Edit: I see Finland today are also ending state contact tracing, testing and isolating.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: Syt on February 10, 2022, 09:45:27 AM
Covidiots were planning several car/truck convoys into Vienna for tomorrow afternoon. While unclear how many participants those might bring, the police have banned them, because there's strong indications it would not just be a convoy but that participants would seek to block various key points. And since Friday afternoon is when loads of people try to get out of the city ...

So obviously the covidiots are trying it anyways. Their leader has a video where she basically says they will protest anyways. Except they will just join normal traffic and keep driving around the Ring.

Police are currently pulling out lots of trucks and but also non-Vienna license plates on regular cars on Ringstraße. Helps, of course, that some of these "protesters" try to block traffic, ignore signs and traffic lights etc. A few are whining that the police took their license plates and cars after refusing to abide by traffic laws.

Oh yeah, one of the original plans was to drive around Ringstraße all through the nights with blaring horns to rob the politicians of their sleep and wake up the citizens into resistance (insert "Everyone disliked that." meme).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

So far police seem to be shutting things down hard as much as they can. Banning clear participants in the protest from the area, and if they're seen again: off to the police station. Police seem to finally run out of patience with these protests (many of them have hardly had a free weekend in the last months due to the protests). And at this point many "casual" protesters have washed out of the movements, and "true believers" form the majority.

Meanwhile: vaccination mandate. Technically it's in effect, but implementation remains a bit, I want to say: "Open to interpretation"? Also the heads of some Austrian (all of them were in favor, originally) are now starting to backpedal, because they realize it might cost them 10-15% come next elections. :bleeding:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Person: "Sorry, but all that honking is not allowed, right?"
Policeman: "  <_< We're already writing up as many as we can."
—Stephen Jay Gould