Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Quote from: Barrister on March 11, 2020, 03:26:33 PM
Quote from: Zanza on March 11, 2020, 03:08:43 PM
I have a runny nose and a sore throat...  :ph34r:

I travelled internationally yesterday and went to work today...  :hmm:

My understanding is a runny nose is inconsistent with Covid-19.

Symptoms are cough, fever, tiredness/lethargy.
Yeah, my suspicion is that I have the common cold.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Maladict on March 11, 2020, 03:34:11 PM
Home with the flu, looks like the regular one. Looking into wedding insurance, unsurprisingly all insurance companies have quickly changed their terms to exclude Covid. I'm fucked.

The changes don't effect the policy you already have.

dps

What the heck is wedding insurance?  A policy designed to protect you from the danger of getting hitched?

Zanza

A lot of insurance here has a force majeure clause, which applies to pandemics.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: dps on March 11, 2020, 03:42:56 PM
What the heck is wedding insurance?  A policy designed to protect you from the danger of getting hitched?

Must be like travel cancelation insurance.

crazy canuck

Quote from: dps on March 11, 2020, 03:42:56 PM

Cancellation insurance can be bought for just about anything these days.  Particularly useful for weddings - although normally invoked when someone gets cold feet.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 11, 2020, 02:28:49 PM

I was comparing to Spain...  The US has other extraneous factors not present in either Spain or Canada that are also unrelated to whether employees receive sick benefits.
Canada does not have government paid sick days.Employers can choose to pay employees sick days.Some provinces may require employers to pay some sick days to employees (2 days for Quebec).

What we have is unemployement insurance, which can cover sickness for a short time, with a doctor's written justification.

The Federal govt may also announce some supplemental measures.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zanza on March 11, 2020, 03:45:47 PM
A lot of insurance here has a force majeure clause, which applies to pandemics.

We are looking at a lot of those clauses now - in jurisdictions where the local health authorities have ordered closures they can be useful in jurisdiction like ours where the local health authorities are saying risk of transmission is low, not so much.

Fate

You can have upper respiratory tract symptoms like a runny nose or sore throat with Covid-19 (like 10-15% of cases do). It's just not as common as fever/cough/flu-like symptoms.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 11, 2020, 03:38:49 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 11, 2020, 03:26:39 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 11, 2020, 08:29:43 AM
I have no disagreement with that.  But the under reporting is due to the fact that 80% of those infected  have mild symptoms.  Languish needs to dial back the panic.
mild symptoms = severe flu.  Strong fever, cough, etc.Not "I have a runny nose and go to work anyway".

:huh:

mild symptoms = not really noticing at all
read earlier in the thread about what China reported as mild symptoms.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

schaksen

Quote from: Liep on March 11, 2020, 03:05:44 PM
514 infected and from today basically all of public sector Denmark will be shut down for two weeks, cultural events, schools, churches will close, non-healthcare workers sent home. The government also hope all bars will close for the two weeks and that all events with over 100 in attendance be cancelled.

Kinda feels like we're too late like in Italy though.
Likely, closing schools should be somewhat effective so perhaps it can curb the effect, even if we are to late to stop the snowball.
Formerly known as Gumby, this was/is my pdx nick

Camerus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 11, 2020, 03:29:30 PM
On the bright side, nobody is getting the squirts.  :)

Imagine the run on TP were that the case.   :hmm:

viper37

8th confirmed case in Quebec.  Someone who came back from a foreign country.  Still no transmission in Quebec.

The government has suspended all foreign travel for its employees.  Cruises are highly discouraged and employees travelling on their own time are advised to follow the guidelines of Health Canada.

The public health director has said that it's not a matter of "if" but "when" we get it and the goal (has stated elsewhere, in multiple places) is to flatten the curve so our healthcare network can cope with it.

Liep

Quote from: schaksen on March 11, 2020, 03:55:41 PM
Quote from: Liep on March 11, 2020, 03:05:44 PM
514 infected and from today basically all of public sector Denmark will be shut down for two weeks, cultural events, schools, churches will close, non-healthcare workers sent home. The government also hope all bars will close for the two weeks and that all events with over 100 in attendance be cancelled.

Kinda feels like we're too late like in Italy though.
Likely, closing schools should be somewhat effective so perhaps it can curb the effect, even if we are to late to stop the snowball.

Have you seen the pictures from Netto 30 minutes after the announcement? :lol:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

alfred russel

Quote from: Fate on March 11, 2020, 03:49:13 PM

You can have upper respiratory tract symptoms like a runny nose or sore throat with Covid-19 (like 10-15% of cases do). It's just not as common as fever/cough/flu-like symptoms.

Fate!

Did you return just to witness our demise?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014