News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

We're going into another not-quite-lockdown starting tomorrow. At least they've stopped calling it an intelligent lockdown. :bleeding:

celedhring

The Catalan government is shutting down all bars and restaurants. The outbreak had been more or less kept under control since august, with Rº hovering around 1 for weeks, but it's now exploding again all of a sudden.

viper37

Some more regions in Quebec are entering lockdowns.  Schools&business remain open, but restaurants, bars, theaters must shut down.  So far, my own region is exempt from this, but for how long?  It might be good for me if everything shuts down, it would save me some money :P

I miss my family though.  I haven't seen my new (March) niece yet :(  I haven't seen my out of town family since February :(  One cousin drove by with her kids this spring, but that's about it, I haven't seen the others.  With inter-regional travel not recommended, I guess I'll have to wait a few more months.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

Incidentally, back in June the Catalan government unveiled a "risk level" indicator that went from 0 ("no risk of outbreak") to 100 ("high risk of outbreak"), which combined several indicators (infections/100k people, hospitalizations, ICU occupancy, etc...) in one. The thing quickly passed 100 in July, so they had to come up with new - even more alarming sounding - monikers for the new scale ("very high risk" at 200, "extreme risk" at 300). The fucker is now approaching 400 and I think they've stopped bothering.  :lol: :(

Syt

Austria introduced a "traffic lights" system per district a while ago: green, yellow, orange, red. In Austrian fashion, the panel deciding colors is a mix of experts and politicians who can override experts, so there's little public trust in the assignment of colors. When it was first revealed and some areas threatened to go from yellow to orange there was an outcry by the local politicians in question; however, the colors don't mean anything. People expected that e.g. if you switch from green to yellow, or yellow to orange, there might be some additional measures taking effect in those areas ... that's not the case. It was originally planned to recommend measures based on alert level, but this met with resistance, so the colors now only indicate risk/severity of outbreak, and people are expected to actaccordingly (spoiler: they don't).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

I know such a case must be rare etc. but I read today two Hungarian swimming athletes who got pretty wrecked by the virus.

I remember infection swept through the sport there a month or two ago.  The much more sever case of them, a 24 years old water polo player, got such a sever pneumonia from it that very soon after he decided to visit the hospital because of his pain, he had to be put on oxygen because he had intense pain at each breath and in fact was not able to keep breathing on his own. He spent 1.5 weeks on the machine, 2 more weeks in hospital, but it took 5 weeks from his hospital admission before his test turned negative.

The other one was a world champion swimmer he broke Phelps' record on 200m butterfly last year. He never had to go to hospital but had pretty high fever for a while and overall was bedridden for 10 days, lost a lot of muscle and his year in terms of training and preparation is pretty much ruined.

So don't take pointless risk guys, odds are you'll be fine if you catch it but also quite clearly there is no guarantee it won't  mess you up.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Tamas

alfred russel

This comes back to Trump being totally out of control of the federal government.

The Braves have a chance to go to the World Series (felt better about this before tonight), and if they go I don't want to miss it. For bizarre reasons they are playing the games in Texas. I was looking into road tripping it over there and touring the Vicksburg battlefield, which is a national park. So I check on the battlefield and due to covid the visitor's center is closed.

And maybe it should be. But here even tattoo parlors were opened last April and the state parks never closed. For Mr. "Liberate Michigan" to still have his national parks closed is insane. It is as though his authority doesn't extend beyond his Twitter account (which itself is subject to censorship by Twitter  :lol:).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Tamas

The indignities continue to befall Dorsey, now he will have to walk a park and later attend a game without being able to enter the visitor's centre :(

Richard Hakluyt

New zoomable map of UK cases now available :

https://coronavirus-staging.data.gov.uk/details/interactive-map

They have finally used a geometric increase for the colours but should have left room for at least one category above 400+

I really like the map  :Embarrass:

Admiral Yi

Nick Saban, Alabama football head coach, tested positive.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 15, 2020, 01:42:12 AM
New zoomable map of UK cases now available :

https://coronavirus-staging.data.gov.uk/details/interactive-map

They have finally used a geometric increase for the colours but should have left room for at least one category above 400+

I really like the map  :Embarrass:

I went for a walk to Wallsend the other day and it struck me how normal everything seemed. The pubs were full and masks were rare.
Really made me wonder whether we are seeing massive under-reporting in poorer areas with a large number of people not bothering to check in for testing unless it gets really serious. My dad had a scare for instance but didn't get tested, said he'd leave it a few days (being careful with mask et al) and if it didn't go away then he would.
Looking at this map I do note a lot of wealthier areas seem to be reporting far more cases than many  poor white areas.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on October 15, 2020, 04:25:58 AM
I went for a walk to Wallsend the other day and it struck me how normal everything seemed. The pubs were full and masks were rare.
Really made me wonder whether we are seeing massive under-reporting in poorer areas with a large number of people not bothering to check in for testing unless it gets really serious. My dad had a scare for instance but didn't get tested, said he'd leave it a few days (being careful with mask et al) and if it didn't go away then he would.
Looking at this map I do note a lot of wealthier areas seem to be reporting far more cases than many  poor white areas.
I think there was that ONS survey data a week ago or so which showed that infection rates were being driven by the least deprived quintiles and the testing for that survey is randomised etc. But it is weird. I zoomed right in on that very good map (:blush:) and most of Peckham and surrounding area is suppressed. Which is good :hmm:

As in France the largest source of outbreaks that have been identified are offices. Which no-one could have possibly predicted <_<

Edit: Also looking at the map I was not aware how bad things were in Northern Ireland.
Let's bomb Russia!