News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Neil Peart Dies

Started by Josephus, January 10, 2020, 04:10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Damn,  an irreplaceable genius gone.   :(

That band were the soundtrack to my teenage years.

Haven't found a good obituary yet, just this item on the metro:

https://metro.co.uk/2020/01/10/neil-peart-legendary-rush-drummer-dies-aged-67-three-year-brain-cancer-battle-12039423/

But knowing the BBC obituary chap, I think he'll have a good one posted to the BBC News website in a while or by the weekend's end.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josephus

Apparently he died on Tuesday, but they didn't announce it until today.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

PRC

Sad to hear, love me some Rush, especially 2112!

mongers

BBC Obituary here:

Neil Peart: Rush drummer dies aged 67 after cancer battle
1 hour ago

Neil Peart, drummer and lyricist for Canadian rock band Rush, has died aged 67 after suffering from brain cancer.

The musician, considered one of rock's greatest ever drummers, died on Tuesday in Santa Monica, California.

Full item here:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51072190

Beeb had the decency to put it as one of the top three arts/entertainment news items.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

MadImmortalMan

Petition for a monument at Lakeside Park.

I guess if Rocky gets a statue in Philadelphia this makes sense.  :)
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Josephus