US-Iran War Has Begun! Iran launches dozens of ballistic missiles!

Started by jimmy olsen, January 02, 2020, 07:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

I bet we will never hear any details on the supposed imminent attack that was thwarted by this assassination. 

Hamilcar

Quote from: Zanza on January 04, 2020, 04:39:29 PM
I bet we will never hear any details on the supposed imminent attack that was thwarted by this assassination.

What do you mean? Those details will be released ASAP, with Trump's tax returns, as soon as the audit is over.

OttoVonBismarck

The idea that there was an imminent attack makes literally no sense at all. He's a General, that sort of operational activity didn't require his direct involvement. Is it likely that he worked at a higher level, approving such attacks, and probably helping plan the more important ones? Sure. But the mission plan, the operatives, that would all have been commanded by lower level officers, who if the attack was imminent, would have already been given their orders and detailed mission plans that they'd be able to execute without any input from higher up other than the "go" order.

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 04, 2020, 04:08:31 PM
We'll see. In part it probably depends on how actually important Suleimani was to their network. But I did see lots of Iran experts saying not to expect anything immediately (maybe because there'll be a power-struggle now there's a big gap).

I think he was important 20 years ago when he got into his position, Iran was and is faced with a few stark realities. It is weak in terms of its conventional military, a conventional war even against a peer country would be disastrous (as the long 1980s war with Iraq was.) Iran also wants to influence the rest of the Middle East in various ways. Given its limitations as a conventional power, it saw value in developing a force able and capable of basically creating "leverage." You have elite soldiers who are good at training irregulars, and seed them around the middle east and then funnel money through these guys to irregular forces. They had been doing this for ages in Lebanon, and it spread to Iraq after Saddam's fall, and it spread to Syria after the Arab Spring, and it's been in Gaza for a long time as well (Hamas.)

From all accounts, Suleiman was really good at architecting and setting up the Quds Force, and other elements of the Iranian defense state towards getting this stuff done. But in terms of 2020, him being alive or dead is probably no longer that important. The important work he did was building out the structure of his organization and the mechanisms of action, and it's possible if he had been killed a couple decades ago he may have been irreplaceable to a degree, in that another man may have done a worse job. But he's been grooming successors and building out a trained group of underlings for ages. He wasn't running a terrorist cell like al-Qaeda, he was a General in a State actor's military force. Now, he certainly ordered and helped orchestrate what we would call terrorist actions, and was a piece of shit, but in the same way that in any other military, if a leader makes a lot of structural improvements and designs, those tend to live on after him. He wasn't out there conducting this stuff with his bare hands.

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on January 04, 2020, 03:43:01 PM
Will be interesting to see  what the Iranian response will be.

Since so far it has been nothing, I think it will be... nothing. Denting the side of an oil tanker would just make them look weaker than doing nothing and it's not like they can afford anything bigger.
We'll see. In part it probably depends on how actually important Suleimani was to their network. But I did see lots of Iran experts saying not to expect anything immediately (maybe because there'll be a power-struggle now there's a big gap).

Obviously they'll be doing everything they can to ramp up their nuclear program - looking at North Korea it's clear that from their perspective making a deal with the international community was a mistake. And now their vulnerability to conventional attacks is clear.

But you're right and it sort of links to Camerus' point. It's weird and difficult to predict because both sides will want to escalate/respond, but neither actually wants an out and out conflict. Given that I wouldn't be surprised if there was a lot of free-lancing in the response because that's more deniable.

I think this is different.  They didn't kill some nobodies out in the desert, they killed senior leadership in the government.  Trump just sent a message to the leaders of the country that their lives are at stake.  The US can and will kill them.  They also know that if they do what the US wants the US could still kill them, like Qadafi.  They know that any deal with the US is useless.  The Iranian leadership needs to strike back to scare Trump.  Obvious answer: attack an embassy.  They removed one US president and forced his replacement into submission, and there is reason to think they could do so again.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on January 04, 2020, 06:43:37 PM
Quote from: Tamas on January 04, 2020, 03:43:01 PM
Will be interesting to see  what the Iranian response will be.

Since so far it has been nothing, I think it will be... nothing. Denting the side of an oil tanker would just make them look weaker than doing nothing and it's not like they can afford anything bigger.

Obviously they'll be doing everything they can to ramp up their nuclear program - looking at North Korea it's clear that from their perspective making a deal with the international community was a mistake. And now their vulnerability to conventional attacks is clear.

But you're right and it sort of links to Camerus' point. It's weird and difficult to predict because both sides will want to escalate/respond, but neither actually wants an out and out conflict. Given that I wouldn't be surprised if there was a lot of free-lancing in the response because that's more deniable.

I think this is different.  They didn't kill some nobodies out in the desert, they killed senior leadership in the government. Trump just sent a message to the leaders of the country that their lives are at stake.  The US can and will kill them.  They also know that if they do what the US wants the US could still kill them, like Qadafi.  They know that any deal with the US is useless.  The Iranian leadership needs to strike back to scare Trump.  Obvious answer: attack an embassy.  They removed one US president and forced his replacement into submission, and there is reason to think they could do so again.

It is different.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

OttoVonBismarck

I mean if I was an advisor to the Iranians I would say they absolutely do not need to scare Trump. Trump made a decision that was very likely very poorly thought out, and like I said unless we are really advancing a coherent strategy it's a bad decision. But, Iran retaliating is also an unequivocal bad decision.

Zanza

Trump now openly threatens to bomb cultural (!) sites in Iran. 

Admiral Yi

One site for each of the 52 embassy hostages.  That's some twisted shit.  Like Vlad the impaler or Mexican narco lord twisted.

Syt

Full twitter thread:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1213593965838163968?s=20

QuoteDonald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
·
7h
Iran is talking very boldly about targeting certain USA assets as revenge for our ridding the world of their terrorist leader who had just killed an American, & badly wounded many others, not to mention all of the people he had killed over his lifetime, including recently....

....hundreds of Iranian protesters. He was already attacking our Embassy, and preparing for additional hits in other locations. Iran has been nothing but problems for many years. Let this serve as a WARNING that if Iran strikes any Americans, or American assets, we have.....

....targeted 52 Iranian sites (representing the 52 American hostages taken by Iran many years ago), some at a very high level & important to Iran &  the Iranian culture, and those targets, and Iran itself, WILL BE HIT VERY FAST AND VERY HARD. The USA wants no more threats!

:wacko:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 05, 2020, 01:28:41 AM
One site for each of the 52 embassy hostages.  That's some twisted shit.  Like Vlad the impaler or Mexican narco lord twisted.

He should do one a week.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Solmyr

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on January 04, 2020, 05:01:19 PM
The idea that there was an imminent attack makes literally no sense at all. He's a General, that sort of operational activity didn't require his direct involvement. Is it likely that he worked at a higher level, approving such attacks, and probably helping plan the more important ones? Sure. But the mission plan, the operatives, that would all have been commanded by lower level officers, who if the attack was imminent, would have already been given their orders and detailed mission plans that they'd be able to execute without any input from higher up other than the "go" order.

I think he was important 20 years ago when he got into his position, Iran was and is faced with a few stark realities. It is weak in terms of its conventional military, a conventional war even against a peer country would be disastrous (as the long 1980s war with Iraq was.) Iran also wants to influence the rest of the Middle East in various ways. Given its limitations as a conventional power, it saw value in developing a force able and capable of basically creating "leverage." You have elite soldiers who are good at training irregulars, and seed them around the middle east and then funnel money through these guys to irregular forces. They had been doing this for ages in Lebanon, and it spread to Iraq after Saddam's fall, and it spread to Syria after the Arab Spring, and it's been in Gaza for a long time as well (Hamas.)

From all accounts, Suleiman was really good at architecting and setting up the Quds Force, and other elements of the Iranian defense state towards getting this stuff done. But in terms of 2020, him being alive or dead is probably no longer that important. The important work he did was building out the structure of his organization and the mechanisms of action, and it's possible if he had been killed a couple decades ago he may have been irreplaceable to a degree, in that another man may have done a worse job. But he's been grooming successors and building out a trained group of underlings for ages. He wasn't running a terrorist cell like al-Qaeda, he was a General in a State actor's military force. Now, he certainly ordered and helped orchestrate what we would call terrorist actions, and was a piece of shit, but in the same way that in any other military, if a leader makes a lot of structural improvements and designs, those tend to live on after him. He wasn't out there conducting this stuff with his bare hands.

That feeling when Iran has more robust institutions than the US.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Berkut on January 04, 2020, 03:29:45 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on January 04, 2020, 02:39:34 PM
So what do we think the actual odds are that Trump had never heard of Soleimani prior to deciding to have him killed?

I actually would not at all be surprised to find out that there was a standing order to take him out if given the chance, possibly dating back to the Obama admin.

Lets not kid ourselves here. It's not like this guy was some kind of legit military representative of Iran on some kind of actual and acknowledged mission to Iraq.

I've read that he never traveled in secret and Bush and Obama both contemplated doing and decided not to due to the repercussions.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Maladict

Quote from: Zanza on January 05, 2020, 12:48:41 AM

That is some IS level shit.

Hamilcar

Quote from: Maladict on January 05, 2020, 03:36:01 AM

Let's not forget the Taliban, pioneers of the "blow up giant Buddhas" genre.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Maladict on January 05, 2020, 03:36:01 AM

]

It's a war crime under international law.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson