News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings III

Started by Syt, October 19, 2019, 04:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on June 18, 2021, 08:54:40 AM
The thing is, CK3 is a game. Paradox has been pretty clear that they put game over historicity for a while now. I find I enjoy their games better if I don't expect reasonably historically realistic gameplay.

That's for sure is a good approach (I think I mentioned the reason I prefer Kaiserreich over vanilla HOI4 is that it's a silly ahistorical premise from the word go, so I am not annoyed by what I am seeing unfold having nothing to do with WW2).

But for there has to remain a degree of plausability. In general I think CK3 is pretty good and mods will turn it into awesome. But I wish they spent efforts on things like unique Byzantine/Muslim/Hindu mechanics instead of allowing a 100%-sandboxy and unrealistic ability to tweak cultures.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on June 18, 2021, 08:54:40 AM
The thing is, CK3 is a game. Paradox has been pretty clear that they put game over historicity for a while now. I find I enjoy their games better if I don't expect reasonably historically realistic gameplay.

I mean they still make historicity big deals though. It is not like EU or EU2 were historically superior to their later games, especially outside of Europe. So I don't think they have been clear they don't prioritize history. For every silly magic thing they put in CK2 they put in a ton of things that made it more accurate as a history game. The special nomad rules were amazing, for example.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

I like that Paradox caught they shouldn't let the AI hybridize hybrid cultures (though you can turn on a game rule if you like):

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

I am assuming there'll be still events for seeing the historical melting pot cultures so we get to see "English" instead of "Gaelic-Anglo-Saxon-Nordic-French" on the map.

garbon

If you look at the diary, yes they do highlight that, although I couldn't see if they answered question about how their test run showed English being dominant by year 900 in England.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

My last Anglo-Saxon Reconquista game in CK2, I became King within like 50 years of the conquest, but one county had already flipped by then and it literally took me until just before the end of the game to stamp out the English because it kept spreading.

Many of my vassals were Norman or English. So I provoked rebellions to replace them with Anglo-Saxons and I tried to educate their heirs as much as possible. Even with all of that, it was still very difficult to ensure that there were no English provinces by game end.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

I broke down and purchased CK3 as it was half off on wingame store. So far feels like much the same but sort of on easy mode but then also requires my brain to learn new menu layouts. I guess the RPG elements break up the waiting between wars?

One thing I haven't been able to figure out, is it possible to look at a dynasty tree from the point of view of a selected character? In CK2 when I wanted to see how I was connected to a member of my dynasty, I could click on dynasty screen from their character sheet and it would be centred on them. With CK3, I've been memorising their name (given dynasty tree takes up full screen) and then hunting for them in dynasty tree given it always centres automatically on my character. Any shortcut that I'm missing?

jimmy olsen

My Karling restorations CK3 game has gotten off to a strong start. Year is 1090 and my starting count has conquered the county of Clermont and Valois (from my brother in law, but it was his father's fault. He fabricated a claim on the county of Vermandios, so it was only proper to retaliate.) That brother in law died of some internal injuries (don't know how this happened), so my wife inherited Amiens. I made my sister in law Cecelia Normandie the Duchess of Flanders with the help of her brother. So, if she has a child in the next 10 years, that will go to a Karling.

I have three sons, but my heir will inherit one county from me and one from my wife, so it's not too bad.

Lol. Just checked out my grandkids by my heir. Fucking worthless

Just arranged a marriage between my grandson and neice. How likely is that to end up with mutants? I've got the first Dynasty achievement for the Blood.

Drunk as hell, just like a CK player should be
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 30, 2021, 06:35:40 AM
Just arranged a marriage between my grandson and neice. How likely is that to end up with mutants? I've got the first Dynasty achievement for the Blood.
I haven't played in a bit but in my last playthrough as Castile I did a lot of cousin marriages and it never caused any offspring to have health issues.  I did the same in an earlier games as Toulouse and did those plus a few uncle/niece and aunt/nephew marriages, and again, no problems.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

I'm now Duke of Valois and have made one cousin King of Jerusalem, and the other cousin Queen of England (was the Duchess of Flanders, but had a claim through her mother's line).

Edit: She's since been overthrown and I'm assisting her in a tyranny war againdt the restored queen

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

I have since consolidated control over the Duchy of Valois and have control of 4 counties including Isle de France. I've already overthrown one King who tried to get it back.

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

The latest duke came to the throne at age 13 and is off to a strong start. Has alliances with Tuscany and Pitou.

He was 3rd in a recent Iberian crusade and made a distant cousin Duke of Galicia. He's conquered the county of Orleans and is currently warring for a second county in that duchy which is owned by the Duke of Champagne.

He also helped the King beat of a claim by his great aunt the duchess of Flanders on the Duchy of Valois.

I just noticed that the Duke of York is a Karling. Not sure how that happened. Probably a descendent of the Duchess of Flanders, who's ancient now.

1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Timmay, could you move your AAR to an AAR thread, please?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Seconded... please make an AAR thread.

jimmy olsen

No. :)

The restoration is well on it's way. Since this point I have reconquered the breakaway Gascogne counties, that fish heraldry county and one of Touluse's counties. I have also vassalized the Duchy of Bar and conquered the Duchy of Barcelona.

1 Karma Chameleon point