News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings III

Started by Syt, October 19, 2019, 04:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

It seems like a bit of a high fantasy version of medieval times but whatevs,

garbon

Personally, I feel like they never really got sorted out what was the difference between culture and language, so feels a little odd to be layering in language explicitly as another factor.

Traditions also look a bit odd as I think the two bits in bold contradict one another.

QuoteTraditions are the meat of the cultural overhaul, and provide that extra layer of variety and immersion that can have a significant impact on gameplay. An important aspect of traditions is that they give us a clear means of visualizing and explaining existing mechanics that previously just "was a thing" and never explained. Take Anglo-Saxon as an example. They have access to the Saxon Elective succession for no apparent reason other than "they do". Instead, they now have a tradition that grants them the succession law, making it clear as to why they have it. Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, traditions serve as the perfect means of giving a culture additional flavour or gameplay bonuses that add a greater degree of variety across the map.

Not all traditions will be available everywhere. We have both regional traditions, as well as traditions that are available depending on your heritage. The vast majority of them can be established regardless of circumstances, but might require certain conditions, such as 'Hill Dwellers' having the requirement that your culture must be present in a county with hills.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on June 15, 2021, 10:26:57 AM
Personally, I feel like they never really got sorted out what was the difference between culture and language, so feels a little odd to be layering in language explicitly as another factor.

Traditions also look a bit odd as I think the two bits in bold contradict one another.

QuoteTraditions are the meat of the cultural overhaul, and provide that extra layer of variety and immersion that can have a significant impact on gameplay. An important aspect of traditions is that they give us a clear means of visualizing and explaining existing mechanics that previously just "was a thing" and never explained. Take Anglo-Saxon as an example. They have access to the Saxon Elective succession for no apparent reason other than "they do". Instead, they now have a tradition that grants them the succession law, making it clear as to why they have it. Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, traditions serve as the perfect means of giving a culture additional flavour or gameplay bonuses that add a greater degree of variety across the map.

Not all traditions will be available everywhere. We have both regional traditions, as well as traditions that are available depending on your heritage. The vast majority of them can be established regardless of circumstances, but might require certain conditions, such as 'Hill Dwellers' having the requirement that your culture must be present in a county with hills.

It's a silly idea overall just giving the players another RPG-ish mechanic to clickety click on.

Syt

Tamas, why don't you go and create your own historical strategy games? Few in the market seem to satisfy you these days. Or maybe it's time to let the hobby go. Not meaning to sound snippish, I've been there with certain games and other media myself.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Syt

It just feels like you're constantly moaning how shit (Paradox) games are these days.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Habbaku

That's not fair. He also constantly moans about how shit TV, movies, books, and politics are.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on June 15, 2021, 10:40:00 AM
Tamas, why don't you go and create your own historical strategy games?

I mean did he not do exactly this professionally for several years :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on May 21, 2021, 01:32:55 PM
I don't know man. CK2 does it for me just right I am very hesitant to move on to the sequel, especially all my sunk costs :P

CK3 needs a little more than Throne Room simulators to get me interested.
The 3D portraits are much better at getting you invested in your character and family then the old 2D portraits.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on June 15, 2021, 10:43:48 AM
It just feels like you're constantly moaning how shit (Paradox) games are these days.

Ok now that I have calmed down a bit. How am I doing that?

Just in the Vicky 3 thread I was writing I am hopeful and considering applying for beta test if they are still doing those. I play CK3 regularly, albeit modded.  I was just raving about a non-Paradox game in the other thread just two days ago. I was even positive about Imperator for Christ's sake.

Yeah I don't like what they have disclosed about the culture system because so far it is transparently strengthens the "RPG-like" mechanics instead of the historical aspect of the game. It's going to be great for migration-era mods but the direction I don't agree with.

And what else, because we were discussing that the EU4 updates recently were a disaster? They were.

And Habbaku, I am sorry, but Archer just sucks.

ulmont

Syt

The thing is, CK3 is a game. Paradox has been pretty clear that they put game over historicity for a while now. I find I enjoy their games better if I don't expect reasonably historically realistic gameplay.
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

Quote from: Syt on June 18, 2021, 08:54:40 AM
The thing is, CK3 is a game. Paradox has been pretty clear that they put game over historicity for a while now. I find I enjoy their games better if I don't expect reasonably historically realistic gameplay.

I'd rather play CIV then if I want something that gives up all  but the merest trappings of history.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.