Lawyers and drunks, to me! DWI in New York....ASKING FOR A FRIEND!

Started by Berkut, February 25, 2019, 12:18:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: Malthus on February 25, 2019, 08:59:58 AM
DEFINITELY get counsel. Even if only to inform your friend of the implications. 

Depending on the jurisdiction, a DUI can have serious effects: for example, you can be turned back at the Canadian border.

What I advise is hiring a lawyer to advise your friend about what his options are, and possibly to take the matter through the courts. I would not, under any circumstances, do so without advice.

Yup
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

dps

Quote from: Berkut on February 25, 2019, 02:04:00 PM

90 day license suspension instead fo 180, and you can get a hardship conditional license.

I thought that you said the law was harsh in NY.  In WV, a DUI first offense was an automatic 1-year suspension, or at least it used to be.

Maladict

Quote from: Habbaku on February 25, 2019, 12:19:04 PM
Lawyering up and using money to influence the justice system is a time-honored tradition in the USA. They should use every legal means at their disposal to reduce whatever punishment might be forthcoming.

Yeah, definitely sounds like cultural differences. I've never heard of anyone lawyering up for something like this. You just pay up and deal with it.

Syt

Btw, I'm very disappointed that the thread isn't called, "Lawyers, Drunks, and Money."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on February 28, 2019, 05:27:29 AM
Lawyering up and using money to influence the justice system is a time-honored tradition in the USA. They should use every legal means at their disposal to reduce whatever punishment might be forthcoming.

Yeah, definitely sounds like cultural differences. I've never heard of anyone lawyering up for something like this. You just pay up and deal with it.

Yes it's the European way. :hug:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on February 28, 2019, 05:41:23 AM
Btw, I'm very disappointed that the thread isn't called, "Lawyers, Drunks, and Money."

Because that would be the same thing as calling it ""Lawyers, Lawyers, and Lawyers."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Depending on the jurisdiction, a DUI can have serious effects: for example, you can be turned back at the Canadian border.
as we all know, it is every American's dream to visit Canada and freeze his butt by -30  :P
I'm thinking there are worst effects than this one :P
- increase in insurance costs- problems driving to work (could be mitigade if they allow restricted driver's license)- problems driving outside of work- difficulty landing some jobs
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: derspiess on February 25, 2019, 12:07:18 PM
I'm going to mongers for all my legal advice from now on!
Trump should retain him instead of Cohen  :showoff:

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Habbaku on February 25, 2019, 02:54:56 PM
Quote from: Berkut on February 25, 2019, 02:04:00 PM
No mandated breathalyzer in your car bullshit (which is mandated by law in NY for an actual DWI conviction - that adds another $1000 for the install, and $100/month for the "rental" - what a fucking scam that is).

:hmm: Doesn't seem like much of a scam to me. Just buy your own breathalyzer for your car and stop renting it!
I don't know about NY, but in Quebec, you can only rent it and it has to be calibrated every 3-6 months depending on the model.

viper37

Quote from: Maladict on February 28, 2019, 05:27:29 AM

I think most people here do lawyer up too in cases of DUI.  Always depend on what.  .09 at 1:00am, they'll fight.  .44 at 11:00am, they'll just wait for the eventual liver failure.

PDH

Apropos of nothing.

Laramie, Wyoming a few years ago decided to save money by not calibrating their breathalyzers frequently enough.  When this became known in court many of their DUI's had to be ...vacated? (whatever the legal term is)...because the police had been too cheap to make sure people were blowing the legal limit.

I learned this because a Fedex driver who blew a .05 (he had his hazmat license so the limit was half of normal drivers) got his case thrown out of the court.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on February 28, 2019, 07:53:57 PM
as we all know, it is every American's dream to visit Canada and freeze his butt by -30  :P
I'm thinking there are worst effects than this one :P
- increase in insurance costs- problems driving to work (could be mitigade if they allow restricted driver's license)- problems driving outside of work- difficulty landing some jobs

Heh, that's just an example that I knew applied.  :P

Every jurisdiction is different in terms of the effects. I have no idea of the situation in New York.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius