News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Personal finances and you

Started by Threviel, February 09, 2019, 03:40:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

My approach to personal finances is pretty simple: I take a certain amount of money off of every paycheque, from the top, and put that in savings. Then I live on what is left over.

In effect, I just decide to live below my means. But I don't specifically track what I blow money on, beyond the big stuff.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Threviel

How do you decide the amount to shave off? Set percentage or monthly gut feeling?

The Brain

I do a set amount every month. Increase as income increases. Money that piles up beyond this gets shuffled into savings as required.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

I do a set amount and force myself to live on the remainder. As income rises, I plan on increasing my lifestyle to a modest degree and savings for the remainder. As major loans are paid off (car, student), I plan on folding those into savings as well.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Malthus

Yeah, this is an approach that works for me, and doesn't require anything like effort.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Habbaku

Quote from: Malthus on February 25, 2019, 02:10:50 PM
Yeah, this is an approach that works for me, and doesn't require anything like effort.  :lol:

No kidding. The "effort" I put into this is making sure my APR is the best possible and then structuring various auto-pays through my credit union, and auto-deposits at work.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Monoriu

Wife and I have a joint account.  Most of the credit card expenses are set to be 100% deducted from the account automatically every month.  Each month I do an excel spreadsheet to see how much each of us have spent, and we each contribute to the account.