News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The high price of stale grievance

Started by viper37, February 01, 2019, 05:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 04, 2019, 02:42:43 PM
The answers to both grievance being under handed laughter is that the dominant group thinks that the oppression of the dominated group has ended.
What happens when the dominant group thinks the dominated group isn't activist enough, so they need to take matters in their own hands?

Isn't that a form of racism too?  "You're so dumb, you don't even realize you are being victimized" ?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on February 04, 2019, 02:52:20 PM
Wouldn't the same be even *more* true for Blacks in America, though?  :hmm:
No one* is asking Canadians or Americans to stop eating poutine.  No one is asking Canadians or Americans to stop using French words in their vocabulary because it is offensive.  No one is asking Canadians or Americans to hire French speakers in theaters, movies or tv shows to speak one French line.  No one staged massive, sometimes violent protests because Jean-Luc Picard was played by an English actor.

The point of the article is not to say racism does not exists.  Read it again, it is worth a second reading.  :)

* Except a few looney bins quickly silenced by more reasonable voices.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 04, 2019, 03:17:59 PM
If African-Americans face discrimination or barriers to entry in show business, but face even greater barriers to entry in other fields, then you would expect to see relatively high levels of African-American participation in show business, notwithstanding the disadvantages.
I don't think they suffer discrimination or barriers to entry in show business, and I don't think they face greater barriers to entry in other fields compared to poor whites.
I don't think someone facing difficulties to express themselves correctly, in proper english, can even dream of having a successful tv/movie carreer.

Same goes for ugly people.  We don't face the same opportunities as the beautiful ones. Even outside of show business, being overweight is a drag on your career for most.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Malthus on February 04, 2019, 02:54:48 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 04, 2019, 02:42:43 PM
The answers to both grievance being under handed laughter is that the dominant group thinks that the oppression of the dominated group has ended.

Though Blacks in America have a better claim to remaining "dominated" to this day than francophones in Quebec, by any objective measure.

Yes, our situation is not the same. But that doesn't mean that both cannot be true. Blacks & Canada's francophones are not oppressed by the same dominant group.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.