News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elon Musk: Always A Douche

Started by garbon, July 15, 2018, 07:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

An American app by an American company does not feel like part of the American internet?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

For your "enjoyment", this appears to have been yesterday's Twitter Thread of the Day - why Churchill, not Hitler, was the greatest villain of WWII.  This is by a podcaster, Darryl Cooper, who was recently on Tucker Carlson's podcast on a very similar theme (aka Nazi apologia).

https://twitter.com/martyrmade/status/1831069714296258844

Its quite the pastiche of complaints, but boils down to A: UK's hard treatment of Germany after WWI drove Hitler to do it, B: Hitler made several offers of peace which Churchill ignored, and C: the real evil was communism anyways.

The thread has 14k likes and 3200 re-tweets.  It of course attracted a ton of criticism, but also a ton of support.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

The UK allowed Germany to annex Austria and the Sudeten Land. Germany never paid any of their war reparations. Germany was able to re-arm.

I guess I am missing the harsh treatment that compelled Germany to invade the Czech lands and Poland.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on September 04, 2024, 10:38:30 AMThe UK allowed Germany to annex Austria and the Sudeten Land. Germany never paid any of their war reparations. Germany was able to re-arm.

I guess I am missing the harsh treatment that compelled Germany to invade the Czech lands and Poland.

I'm sure you'll be surprised to learn that Anschluss is not mentioned, as is invasion of Czechoslovakia (or the Munich agreement in general).

The "harsh treatment" was the allied blockade of Germany during and after WWI which led to starvation, thus making Hitler realize Germany needed to secure it's own resources on the continent to prevent that from happening again.

As for Poland, here's the real kick in the ass of this ridiculous thread:

QuoteHitler tried again, going on the radio to broadcast a call for peace directly to the British people. He would give back the parts of Poland that were not majority German, and would work with the other powers to reach an acceptable solution to the Jewish problem. He was ignored.

and two posts later

QuoteMy contention is not that the Third Reich was peaceful, or that Germany did not kill Jews. Germany dishonored itself by its conduct on the Eastern Front. My contention is that the war was not inevitable, that, in fact, almost no one but Churchill's faction wanted it, and that the atrocities could not have happened in the absence of a world war. This, I think, is not only supportable, but as close to provable as historical counterfactuals can get. Let's continue.

So, you know, yes some Jews were killed and it's conduct was "dishonourable" - but really if the allies had just given Hitler what he wanted then he wouldn't have been able to murder quite so many jews - and instead deal with the "jewish question" in some other manner.

Valmy

I guess if we just ignore every other piece of evidence and context and just accept Nazi Germany's version of events at face value then I can see why one would consider the UK the real villain.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on September 04, 2024, 11:10:24 AMI guess if we just ignore every other piece of evidence and context and just accept Nazi Germany's version of events at face value then I can see why one would consider the UK the real villain.

Oh no - Cooper admits that "Germany dishonoured itself", so he's not a Nazi apologist - just a straight shooter telling some uncomfortable truths!

Jacob

Barrister

The thing is that they're trying to present this notion that WWII is some sacred cow that can't be questioned, when the actions of the allies have been picked over so many times over the decades.  Churchill also.

Yet despite all of the second guessing, you almost never see people claiming Hitler was secretly a peacemaker...

Valmy

That is always the far-right playback. Say nonsense and lies presented as brave truth telling.

The Nazis themselves were very good at that.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on September 04, 2024, 12:02:54 PMThat is always the far-right playback. Say nonsense and lies presented as brave truth telling.

The Nazis themselves were very good at that.

The atomic bombing of Japan has been endlessly debated.  As was the allied bombing of Germany.  Churchill, while generally viewed positively, has been deeply questioned over his dedication to maintaining the Empire and the Bengall famine in particular.

Of course the other way the allies have been deeply criticized is for not stopping Hitler sooner.  Curious that didn't come up in this tweet-storm...

Syt

It's a bullshit grenade. Throw garbage arguments into the room, and let the "normals" waste their time debunking every argument. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

The joint Soviet-UK occupation of Iran also caused a famine. Churchill had issues with not starving people.

But he didn't become PM until seven months after the war started. Clearly the real villain is that vicious warmonger Neville Chamberlain.

Barrister

More Twitter silliness:

https://twitter.com/bennyjohnson/status/1831345408607736091

QuoteREAKING: The *entire* family of Kamala Harris running mate Tim Walz just endorsed TRUMP. This is the greatest troll of the 2024 election

Together with a picture of a bunch of people wearing "Walz for Trump" t-shirts.

The truth:

https://www.newsweek.com/tim-walz-family-support-donald-trump-2024-election-1948797

QuoteAccording to Herbster, the family members in the photo are related to Vice Presidential candidate Walz through his grandfather's side.

So - second cousins?

The Newsweek article does comment that Tim Walz's brother Jeff does not share his brother's politics - but that it doesn't look like he's endorsed Trump, and the brothers haven't spoken in years.

So yeah - I think the fact that Trump's sister, and nephew, have endorsed Harris, or that all of the Kennedy's have refused to support RFK Jr, is a bigger deal than Tim Walz's second cousins endorsing Trump.

Valmy

Or that virtually Trump's entire cabinet from his first term now denounce him.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on September 04, 2024, 12:14:15 PMIt's a bullshit grenade. Throw garbage arguments into the room, and let the "normals" waste their time debunking every argument. :P

Yeah trash say trash on a trash platform. :zzz
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.