And we're back!

Main Menu

Mayweather versus McGregor: The Megathread

Started by alfred russel, August 25, 2017, 12:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on August 25, 2017, 05:14:30 PM
Quote from: HVC on August 25, 2017, 12:57:42 PM
don't really care. only thing that would make it exciting is if McGregor gets pissed and breaks Mayweather's arm or something.

I actually expect something along those lines--McGregor gets in trouble and reverts to doing some MMA shit and loses by DQ.

He wouldn't even get that far. Mayweather's corner would jump the ropes and icepick that goof like it was yard time at NYDOC Five Points.

11B4V

Maywether will win. McGregor doesn't have the skills
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

alfred russel

Quote from: Jacob on August 25, 2017, 05:30:53 PM
Yeah that's the thing I don't get... if they play by boxing rules, surely the experienced boxer will win. Sure he can punch, but if his way of winning relies on all kinds of kicks (which it seems to do) to support his punching strategy the Irish fellow is competing in a whole different ball-game... erh... hitting-people-game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyZJ55PZ50E

Here is a championship fight that McGregor won in 13 seconds. He took the guy out landing a punch.

He hits with power, so he has a punchers chance. They will be using 8 ounce gloves rather than the 4 ounces he uses in MMA, so there is some question as to whether the ability to take someone out with a single punch transfers to boxing. The much bigger question is whether he will be able to land a square punch on Mayweather (that has happened very rarely in Mayweather's career against top professional boxers).

The best theory I heard to give McGregor a chance is that he won't play by the boxing rules. He will headbutt, hit late, go to the top/back of the head etc and force the referee to stop him. Presumably the referee is not going to be prone to disqualifying McGregor since this is such a big fight and McGregor won't care about points deductions because he has no chance of winning on points.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

11B4V

Nope McGregor is not a dirty type fighter.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Jacob

Quote from: alfred russel on August 25, 2017, 06:08:24 PM
Yeah that's the thing I don't get... if they play by boxing rules, surely the experienced boxer will win. Sure he can punch, but if his way of winning relies on all kinds of kicks (which it seems to do) to support his punching strategy the Irish fellow is competing in a whole different ball-game... erh... hitting-people-game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyZJ55PZ50E

Here is a championship fight that McGregor won in 13 seconds. He took the guy out landing a punch.

He hits with power, so he has a punchers chance. They will be using 8 ounce gloves rather than the 4 ounces he uses in MMA, so there is some question as to whether the ability to take someone out with a single punch transfers to boxing. The much bigger question is whether he will be able to land a square punch on Mayweather (that has happened very rarely in Mayweather's career against top professional boxers).

The best theory I heard to give McGregor a chance is that he won't play by the boxing rules. He will headbutt, hit late, go to the top/back of the head etc and force the referee to stop him. Presumably the referee is not going to be prone to disqualifying McGregor since this is such a big fight and McGregor won't care about points deductions because he has no chance of winning on points.

I read and watched the Primer on this and I thought it did a good job of analyzing the factors: https://www.fightprimer.com/blog/2017/8/21/the-primer-floyd-mayweather-vs-conor-mcgregor

Seems to me that McGregor's punch excels in MMA because the whole suite of tools he brings to the fight. He uses those tools - including a variety of kicks - to control the range of the fight and the decisions the opponent is forced to make, and that's what sets up his various strong moves. Sure he took out the guy by landing a punch, but he landed that punch because the guy went in expecting to potentially have to deal with a wide variety of techniques that McGregor cannot use against Mayweather.

I mean, it's the same with Mayweather, he uses his various techniques to control his opponent and set up his strong attacks. It's just that in this case, all of Mayweather's techniques, training, and experience directly apply while McGregor's does not.

Were things reversed - if they fought by MMA rules - I figure McGregor would be the clear favourite too.

CountDeMoney

HVC

Apparently he got knocked out by his sparring partner. So... yeah.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 25, 2017, 05:41:22 PM
Quote from: dps on August 25, 2017, 05:14:30 PM
Quote from: HVC on August 25, 2017, 12:57:42 PM
don't really care. only thing that would make it exciting is if McGregor gets pissed and breaks Mayweather's arm or something.

I actually expect something along those lines--McGregor gets in trouble and reverts to doing some MMA shit and loses by DQ.

He wouldn't even get that far. Mayweather's corner would jump the ropes and icepick that goof like it was yard time at NYDOC Five Points.

Yeah, mayweather's body guards are like walking mountains. Irish might be a top mma guy, but he can't  take on a thousand pounds of angry black men.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

11B4V

Maywether win by TKO. Due to late fight stoppage (10-12th round) by ref or doctor.

Josquius

First I heard of it was on the news last night. I won't be watching no. Though I guess I now have somewhat a curiosity to check afterwards on how quickly this UFC man goes down.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on August 26, 2017, 06:07:00 AM
First I heard of it was on the news last night. I won't be watching no. Though I guess I now have somewhat a curiosity to check afterwards on how quickly this UFC man goes down.

No love for your Irish neighbors?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Monoriu

I don't know much about boxing.  I don't know the rules, the players, how it works, etc.  It is like hockey.  Or American football.  Or blackholes. 

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on August 26, 2017, 11:16:03 AM
I don't know much about boxing.  I don't know the rules, the players, how it works, etc.  It is like hockey.  Or American football.  Or blackholes. 

You don't know how boxing works? You punch people.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on August 26, 2017, 11:20:19 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on August 26, 2017, 11:16:03 AM

You don't know how boxing works? You punch people.

Yeah, that I know  :P  But can you kick someone?  I sort of know that if your opponent can't get up after a count to 10, you win.  But what happens if this doesn't happen?