News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Mayweather versus McGregor: The Megathread

Started by alfred russel, August 25, 2017, 12:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

The fight is tomorrow. Is anyone going to watch? Is anyone not going to watch this?

I'm really excited. This is going to answer the question: "Do you need to be a boxer to become the best boxer?"

It will also shed light on related questions, such as, "does starring in a mediocre reality show qualify you to be a great president?"

I have a modest proposal. This fight can end the debate on the status of confederate monuments. If McGregor knocks out Mayweather, all the confederate monuments will come down and be replaced by statues of McGregor knocking out Mayweather. If Mayweather knocks out McGregor, the monuments will be replaced by that image. That should get people sufficiently geared up for the fight.

If there are no knockouts and this is a super boring fight, then the monuments will be replaced by statues of boxing fans looking dejected as they realize they were scammed out of a bunch of money by possibly illiterate woman beater and a ridiculous irishman. (Those statues will look remarkably similar to pay per view payees for basically every boxing match since 1995).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Liep

I don't really like boxing but if I could watch this for free I probably would. Also if they aired it on a reasonable time and not early Sunday morning.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Zanza

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HVC

don't really care. only thing that would make it exciting is if McGregor gets pissed and breaks Mayweather's arm or something.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Drakken

Meh.

Either Mayweather will use his "technical" boxing skills to avoid MacGregor's offensive and keep him at bay, and he will win by contested decision, or this has the potential of MacGregor being the CM Punk of this match and losing in 37 seconds.

Either way, Mayweather wins and the wife-beating champion of the world gets even richer.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

I developed a little taste for boxing after some of my friends back in NYC invited me to ppv parties, but this is just a stupid dog and pony fight. Couldn't care less. The whole build-up has been WWE-tastic, too.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

I would watch it if it were free, if only for the chance to see an MMA asschimp die in the ring against an actual boxer because he was unable to roll around and wrestle in his bare feet.

Legbiter

Quote from: alfred russel on August 25, 2017, 12:26:13 PM
The fight is tomorrow. Is anyone going to watch? Is anyone not going to watch this?

I'm really excited. This is going to answer the question: "Do you need to be a boxer to become the best boxer?"

At least McGregor gets a big payday.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Valmy

Not really interested. Mayweather will win easily.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

To reiterate from the Out and About thread:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

dps

Quote from: HVC on August 25, 2017, 12:57:42 PM
don't really care. only thing that would make it exciting is if McGregor gets pissed and breaks Mayweather's arm or something.

I actually expect something along those lines--McGregor gets in trouble and reverts to doing some MMA shit and loses by DQ.  Don't care enough though to pay to watch it.

Jacob

Yeah that's the thing I don't get... if they play by boxing rules, surely the experienced boxer will win. Sure he can punch, but if his way of winning relies on all kinds of kicks (which it seems to do) to support his punching strategy the Irish fellow is competing in a whole different ball-game... erh... hitting-people-game.