Mattis, Kelly hatched travel pact to babysit Trump

Started by jimmy olsen, August 01, 2017, 08:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Two decorated generals in Trump's administration are so afraid of leaving him alone, they have to plot together to keep an eye on him at all times. This is fine.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/344759-mattis-kelly-agreed-that-one-would-always-stay-in-us-to-keep-tabs-on

QuoteMattis, Kelly hatched travel pact to keep tabs on Trump: report

By John Bowden - 08/01/17 11:45 AM EDT

Two of President Trump's top advisers reportedly agreed in the early days of the administration that they would not leave the United States at the same time, in order to ensure they could monitor orders coming from the White House.

The Associated Press reported on Tuesday that Secretary of Defense James Mattis and then-Department of Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly — who was sworn in as chief of staff on Monday — agreed in the early weeks of Trump's presidency to coordinate travel plans so that one of them would always be in the United States.

The pact, revealed to The AP by an anonymous official close to Mattis and Kelly, seems to hint at the nature of the Trump administration's internal relations.

Both Mattis and Kelly have been active in providing clarification of executive orders released by the White House.

In January, it was reported that Mattis was drafting a list of Iraqis who helped the U.S. military and should be exempt from Trump's initial travel ban that prohibited incoming visitors from seven Muslim-majority nations, including Iraq.

Kelly was also active in clarifying that order, stating that green card holders would be exempt from the ban.

Keeping one adviser stateside hasn't always kept Mattis and Kelly ahead of crucial White House decisions, however. Last week, it was revealed that Mattis only had one day's notice of Trump's ban on transgender persons serving in the military, and was reportedly appalled by the decision.

Kelly was named the new White House chief of staff at the end of last week, when Reince Priebus resigned. The Trump administration has not yet named a new leader for the DHS.

"I have been fortunate to have served my country for more than 45 years — first as a Marine and then as the Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security. I am honored to be asked to serve as the chief of staff to the president of the United States," Kelly said in a statement.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quoterevealed to The AP by an anonymous official close to Mattis and Kelly,

FunkMonk

I'm waiting with bated breath for the "Al Haig" moment of this presidency.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: FunkMonk on August 01, 2017, 09:14:02 PM

DONT YOU EVER SAY HIS NAME

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

DGuller

Ouch, someone really wants both of them to be purged next.

Eddie Teach

Trump getting shot? (Hello Secret Service, NSA and FSB!)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

katmai

is he like bloody mary or beetlejuice where we say his name three times he is gonna appear?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Eddie Teach

Would that be so bad? With Neil and VM basically retired, we could use someone to take charge.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Quote from: DGuller on August 01, 2017, 09:41:21 PM
Ouch, someone really wants both of them to be purged next.

I thought the same thing...some people just want to watch the world burn.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 01, 2017, 09:43:10 PM

Trump getting shot? (Hello Secret Service, NSA and FSB!)

We now get to add the SCRS, MI6, New Zealand & Australia service. Hi!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

mongers

These guys aren't concerned about babysitting Trump, they're concerned about the Nukes; stopping Trump using them.

It's good and logical that people with years of public service and military service should have private discussions about being intervening if Trump attempts to do something disastrous for America and the world.

I did think about posting on this issue in the main Trump thread, but here will do.  :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Scipio

Although I am sympathetic, this is basically a coup.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Scipio

Military control of the civilian government is pretty much a coup, in my book.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt