News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Help Meri plan a Grand Adventure (tm)

Started by merithyn, July 22, 2017, 02:20:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on July 23, 2017, 10:56:50 AM
As someone who lived in Shanghai for 3 years, I have to say you'd be better off visiting Beijing, Hong Kong or Xi'an. Shanghai is cool if you want to see a real big city, but otherwise doesn't really have much in the way of tourist attractions. At most, maybe spend a day there on your way to Nanjing or Hangzhou.

The Bund is the most beautiful place in Shanghai, both day and night. 

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on July 24, 2017, 03:11:41 AM
My work performance has never been any issue at any of my jobs. I was tagged more for "doesn't play well with others".

Not to be pedantic but the extent to which you can get along with others is definitely a component of work performance. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on July 22, 2017, 07:53:59 PM

Most of the castles in Japan are post-war reconstructions made out of concrete.
Japanese temples/shrines as standard are made out of wood and go through an eternal cycle of reconstruction so even if there hadn't been a war it would be a stretch to call them original.

Are you saying that the Ship of Theseus isn't the original!  :ultra: :ultra: :ultra:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Maladict

Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 23, 2017, 10:07:11 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 23, 2017, 10:01:27 AM
Not even the 30 day mark, and you're already planning global vacations.
You haven't even selected your 2017 nominees to passive-aggressively blame your work performance on yet. 

I'm kinda with Seedy on this one. At least wait to get out of your probationary period before you start talking about heavy-duty vacations like this.

My newest colleague took off on a 6-week vacation after his first week on the job.
I like his style :)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: merithyn on July 24, 2017, 03:11:41 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 23, 2017, 10:01:27 AM
Quote from: merithyn on July 22, 2017, 10:58:07 PM

YOU may need to, but I'm doing great at the new job. ^_^

Not even the 30 day mark, and you're already planning global vacations.
You haven't even selected your 2017 nominees to passive-aggressively blame your work performance on yet.

My work performance has never been any issue at any of my jobs. I was tagged more for "doesn't play well with others".

The current job doesn't have anyone like that. It's incredibly refreshing. Its the most functional place I've ever worked. Love the boss. Love my co-workers. Love the work. It's fan-freaking-tastic!

That's a great attitude for your fourth day on the job. :P

Jacob

Quote from: merithyn on July 22, 2017, 10:59:16 PM
Quote from: Jacob on July 22, 2017, 11:45:46 AM
If you are considering Eastern adventures, Air China has ridiculously cheap flights out of Vancouver. A quick google has Vancouver - New Delhi at US$750 and Vancouver - various spots in China for US$670.

That's about what the prices were that I was looking at from Portland, too.

Probably more convenient to fly out of the city you're in :)

In any case, Shanghai would definitely be an adventure. China in general is not set up for non-Chinese tourists once you stray beyond package tours or the teach-ESL infrastructure, but it has a lot of charming parts and even more un-charming but definitely different from the US bits. Taiwan, Hong Kong, S. Korea and Japan (especially Japan) are all much more approachable, IMO.

CountDeMoney

The diamond, Xiacob.  The deal was for the diamond.

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 24, 2017, 12:57:02 PM
The diamond, Xiacob.  The deal was for the diamond.

Don't worry, you can buy a lot of antidotes in China.

derspiess

You guys lay off Meri-- nothing wrong with thinking through some possible vacations.  I'm happy for her in her new job, new town, and new house :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Meri, what's your experience in international travel?  I seem to think it's not that much (though I'm hardly a globetrotter myself).

I ask just because launching yourself right to Shanghai sounds kind of intense if you haven't done much international travelling before.  Just from what I understand, few know English, and not many services set up for tourists.  I understand the desire to want to set out on a Grand Adventure(tm), but it might be worthwhile to go on a slightly less grand adventure and work up to mainland China.

You also mentioned Krakow, where I have been to.  It was a great destination actually.  The town itself was quite cool, not hard to get by knowing english only, and visiting Auswitz was, well, highlight isn't the right word, but certainly one of the most memorable places I've ever been.  But yeah, 10 days sounds like a bit much if your interest is in sightseeing.  But from there Czechia, Slovakia, Hugary and Austria are all pretty close by and each have their own charms.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on July 24, 2017, 01:08:56 PM
You guys lay off Meri-- nothing wrong with thinking through some possible vacations.  I'm happy for her in her new job, new town, and new house :)

:lol:  ITS A TRAP

Josquius

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 24, 2017, 05:03:07 AM
Quote from: Tyr on July 22, 2017, 07:53:59 PM

Most of the castles in Japan are post-war reconstructions made out of concrete.
Japanese temples/shrines as standard are made out of wood and go through an eternal cycle of reconstruction so even if there hadn't been a war it would be a stretch to call them original.

Are you saying that the Ship of Theseus isn't the original!  :ultra: :ultra: :ultra:

Interesting philosophy. Applicable in some cases but I know in others they do full reconstructions all in one rather than maintaining and replacing bits as they go along.
██████
██████
██████

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on July 24, 2017, 01:09:16 PM
Meri, what's your experience in international travel?  I seem to think it's not that much (though I'm hardly a globetrotter myself).

I ask just because launching yourself right to Shanghai sounds kind of intense if you haven't done much international travelling before.  Just from what I understand, few know English, and not many services set up for tourists.  I understand the desire to want to set out on a Grand Adventure(tm), but it might be worthwhile to go on a slightly less grand adventure and work up to mainland China.

You also mentioned Krakow, where I have been to.  It was a great destination actually.  The town itself was quite cool, not hard to get by knowing english only, and visiting Auswitz was, well, highlight isn't the right word, but certainly one of the most memorable places I've ever been.  But yeah, 10 days sounds like a bit much if your interest is in sightseeing.  But from there Czechia, Slovakia, Hugary and Austria are all pretty close by and each have their own charms.

I've been to the UK twice, Italy, Germany, and Istanbul once.

The Eastern European nations are a definite maybe. I know myself well enough to know that I won't be able to visit any concentration camps. Not if I ever want to sleep again, anyway. But there are a ton of cool places to visit in that area just the same.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Maladict

Don't listen to all these olds, Meri. Go for it, China sounds about right if you want something very different. Krakow does not.

Jacob

Quote from: merithyn on July 24, 2017, 06:00:17 PM
I've been to the UK twice, Italy, Germany, and Istanbul once.

The Eastern European nations are a definite maybe. I know myself well enough to know that I won't be able to visit any concentration camps. Not if I ever want to sleep again, anyway. But there are a ton of cool places to visit in that area just the same.

I'd say given where you've been, going to Asia is going to be more of a grand adventure.

You know, having googled a bit I think going to Shanghai is a pretty good idea. Get a couple of guide books, including Lonely Planet or equivalent, and research online. You should be able to spend 10 days fairly well, especially if you book one or two day trips to the nearby countryside.

I'd probably consider staying at hostels/ backpacker hotels as that's a good way to meet other travelers, socialize, and come across different adventures. And if you have a way to get a contact in the city before hand - friend of a friend or reaching out the the Chinese SCA (don't think they have one, but maybe you belong to some other group) to arrange a visit/ meetup is great too. Don't think we've got any languishites there, though.

EDIT: but if you go to China, don't go right now - they're having a heatwave. Also, don't go in winter because the pollution is worse then. Something like late summer to mid-autumn is probably best.