News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Cheap Housing and a Good Economy

Started by Jacob, June 28, 2017, 11:55:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 28, 2017, 01:13:21 PM
A shame the article glosses over the federal payment to municipalities and the housing consumption tax.
There is a steep one time tax when you buy real estate, e.g. 5% of the net price where I live. But ownership itself has no ongoing consumption tax although you have to pay property tax (which isn't high).

Zanza

@Jacob: I liked "23 things they don't tell you about capitalism".

Edit: Would be interesting what Minsky thinks of him.

The Minsky Moment

Heard of him but haven't read the books.

On the OP it's silly to compare Berlin to NY or London.  As a city of culture sure but not as a business/financial center. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

I thought Germany had a big culture of renting rather than buying?
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Someone didn't read the assignment.

viper37

Quote from: Zanza on June 28, 2017, 05:08:47 PM
Do you have a source for less output?
http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Agricultural_census_in_Germany

Less people on farms, smallest part of the economy for EU countries, generally less output, though it depends on what.
And imports seem on the rise:
https://tradingeconomics.com/germany/imports-of-agricultural-products
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Larch

Agricultural output hasn't been an issue in Europe for ages. I mean, farmers are sometimes paid NOT to grow stuff in order to keep prices afloat. Is stuff still imported? Of course, as most probably it'll be cheaper to bring it over from other countries. And even taking all that into account, Germany is still the 2nd main producer of cereals in the EU after France.

Wheat accounts for almost 50% of the total cereal production in the EU, barley and maize are a tad less than 20% each.

Moreover, agricultural land is not where housing construction is needed, so I can't see how one could affect the other.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on June 28, 2017, 02:57:11 PM
A homeowner would try to keep the prices high. You're the enemy <_< :P

Actually - no.  :P

A homeowner wishing to fund his or her retirement by selling the house and "downsizing" certainly does.

A homeowner intending to stay in the home for a long time wants prices low. Because your property tax is tied to house values.

A homeowner who wants to move into a more expensive home wants prices low also - the difference between the value of what he or she owns, and what he or she wants to buy, will then be smaller. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

you can't trick me with your lawyery ways uber-canuck
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ed Anger

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 29, 2017, 08:15:06 AM
Taxation is theft

You're doing it wrong.  Watch this:

Taxation is theft.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on June 29, 2017, 07:48:52 AM
A homeowner intending to stay in the home for a long time wants prices low. Because your property tax is tied to house values.

That is a popular misconception.  Property taxes are based on a mill rate.  If all property value increased at the same rate all property taxes would remain the same.  Even though Vancouver property values have increased rapidly, some people actually experienced a decrease in property tax because their properties did not increase as much as others.

Ed Anger

Spicy:

What? I need to say it with a lisp? Mention helicopter rides?

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 29, 2017, 08:30:12 AM
Quote from: Malthus on June 29, 2017, 07:48:52 AM

That is a popular misconception.  Property taxes are based on a mill rate.  If all property value increased at the same rate all property taxes would remain the same.  Even though Vancouver property values have increased rapidly, some people actually experienced a decrease in property tax because their properties did not increase as much as others.

Then homeowners want their particular property to be low value.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius