News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ice Hockey World Championship

Started by Duque de Bragança, May 05, 2017, 04:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Anybody following it? For those who don't know, it takes place in Cologne and Paris till May 16th.

Already an upset in Cologne: Deutschland 2 USA 1.

Quick sump-up, courtesy of the IIHF.

Remember, better rules than the NHL.  :P

I am going to watch a game live in Bercy, Finland-Czechia. Only jersey of a national team I have is a Russian one (don't ask). Probably better to go there with a Montréal Canadiens jersey, much to Viper's chagrin.  :D

Barrister

I'm following it because there are multiple Jets players in the tournament.  Canada has Mark Scheifele, goalie Eric Comrie, and Josh Morrissey, Team USA has Jacob Trouba, goalie Connor Hellebuyck and Andrew Copp, and team Denmark has Nik Ehlers.

Haven't seen the games yet though - Canada's first one was today.  They beat the Swiss.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 05, 2017, 04:11:34 PM
that's not exactly a high achievement...

No, I don't follow this series.  I can barely watch the playoffs, so no time for this.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Rex Francorum

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 05, 2017, 04:11:34 PM
Anybody following it? For those who don't know, it takes place in Cologne and Paris till May 16th.

Already an upset in Cologne: Deutschland 2 USA 1.

Quick sump-up, courtesy of the IIHF.

I am going to watch a game live in Bercy, Finland-Czechia. Only jersey of a national team I have is a Russian one (don't ask). Probably better to go there with a Montréal Canadiens jersey, much to Viper's chagrin.  :D

Hockey. Don't care.  :ph34r:
To rent

Liep

Don't really care either and if we lose so won't the press, if we win a few games we'll have to read about it for a day or two though.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Duque de Bragança

Well, France is not an ice hockey country (even football association country is debatable :D), less so in the province though.
Yet, the World Championship attracted some coverage. Team France's objective quarter finals. Did not star well, France 2 Norway 3.

Duque de Bragança

Sum-up of game day 2:

So another great upset, bigger actually:

France 5 Suomi/Finland 1

Grey Fox

What's with Canada & the shit goalies at this tournament.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 08, 2017, 09:15:13 AM
What's with Canada & the shit goalies at this tournament.

Quebec stopped making goalies.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Duque de Bragança

Game Day 3 over!
I watched 3 games so far:
CZE-FIN
NOR-SLO
SUI-FRA

Lots of suspense except for the middle one, but it was cheap and I had a very good seat : 5-1 for Norway.
The other two ended with a shootout, 3-3 then 4-3.
Canada-France is almost sold out, unsurprisingly.

Duque de Bragança

Day 4

Close defeat of France vs Canada followed by a shootout victory vs Belarus. Then Belarus thrashed the unfortunate Slovenians 5-2.
Another upset, Denmark won against Germany in Cologne, after a 2-goal disadvantage!

Duque de Bragança

Quarter-finals today with a Russo-Czech clash in Paris! Hopefully, less damage than around '68-69.   :P

In Paris

Russia-Czechia
Switzerland-Sweden

In Cologne

Germany-Canada
Finland-USA

Threviel

Apparently men over 35 stops pucks better. :showoff:

Duque de Bragança

For those who didn't follow, or were left in the dark by Threviel's quip:

Sweden World Champion! 1-1 after regulation and OT, then shootout. Silver medal Canada.
Russia Bronze Medal vs Finland: 5-3

PS: added mention of Canada after Valmy  :blush:  :P

Valmy

Congrats on your Silver Medal Canada.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."