Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Uber is great.

Sucks for cab owners.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 02, 2017, 03:33:28 PM
Uber is great.

Sucks for cab owners.

The service is great for customers sure. How they treat their 'employees' not so much. And that whole business of flouting laws about getting permission for driverless cars? :thumbsdown:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on April 02, 2017, 03:52:50 PM
The service is great for customers sure. How they treat their 'employees' not so much. And that whole business of flouting laws about getting permission for driverless cars? :thumbsdown:

If drivers are not happy with their compensation it's very easy for them to stop driving.  Unless you're talking about the CEO spazzing out to that one driver.

alfred russel

Even if Uber completely implodes tomorrow due to the bro culture, the venture capital has had ample opportunity to walk away with epic returns. It seems like an odd example for the article.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on April 02, 2017, 04:05:15 PM
Even if Uber completely implodes tomorrow due to the bro culture, the venture capital has had ample opportunity to walk away with epic returns. It seems like an odd example for the article.

That's because it's a bullshit article.  The writer takes the assholish behavior of the Uber CEO and a couple harrasment cases at Uber, and tries to spin a narrative about some overarching cultural phenomenon with profound implications for society.  Nothing he says is supported by evidence.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 02, 2017, 04:02:27 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 02, 2017, 03:52:50 PM

If drivers are not happy with their compensation it's very easy for them to stop driving.  Unless you're talking about the CEO spazzing out to that one driver.

True. They can just find other jobs in a jiff.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on April 02, 2017, 04:25:39 PM

Has their time spent driving for Uber changed the jiffiness with which they can find a job?

celedhring

Uber is great.

Sucks for cab owners.

It loses money hand over fist though. Even for startup standards, 3 billion loss on 5.5b revenue in 2016 it's way out there.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/12/21/uber-losses-expected-to-hit-3-billion-in-2016-despite-revenue-growth/

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 02, 2017, 04:31:47 PM

Has their time spent driving for Uber changed the jiffiness with which they can find a job?

Probably. If you are guaranteed revenue through one source that eats up your time, quite likely makes it harder to find another gig.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on April 02, 2017, 04:39:19 PM
Probably. If you are guaranteed revenue through one source that eats up your time, quite likely makes it harder to find another gig.

That logic applies to any activity that takes time and for which you receive compensation.

Tonitrus

Quote from: celedhring on April 02, 2017, 04:33:00 PM
Uber is great.

Sucks for cab owners.

It loses money hand over fist though. Even for startup standards, 3 billion loss on 5.5b revenue in 2016 it's way out there.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/12/21/uber-losses-expected-to-hit-3-billion-in-2016-despite-revenue-growth/

I understand their business model correctly...since they don't own any of the vehicles, they probably have very little in actual hard asset value.  As opposed to say, Tesla (which also is spotty on profitability).

And, I may be stupid on finances...but as long as they are privately held, how are the venture capitalists getting any returns?  With a privately-held company, if Uber were to go start going south and eventually go under, don't all of their investment contributions go with it?

alfred russel

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 02, 2017, 04:50:40 PM

And, I may be stupid on finances...but as long as they are privately held, how are the venture capitalists getting any returns?  With a privately-held company, if Uber were to go start going south and eventually go under, don't all of their investment contributions go with it?

They still have opportunities to sell their stakes, and the valuation Uber has gotten in at least one equity transaction has been $50b.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

dps

Quote from: garbon on April 02, 2017, 04:39:19 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 02, 2017, 04:31:47 PM

Uber advertises itself to prospective drivers as a way to earn extra money in your spare time.  If someone is depending on driving for Uber as their primary job, A) that person is doing it wrong, and B) do you think they'd be better off with no income at all?

Admiral Yi

Hey Fredo, how do acquisitions affect profit/loss?  Only a balance sheet entry, right?