News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

When is political violence justified?

Started by Razgovory, March 24, 2017, 05:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Recently I've been thinking of John Brown and his violent but quixotic struggle to end slavery.  Was he right to do it?  I used to believe that violence is not the answer, it only begets more violence (which in this case was true), but he was also responding to violence.  Slavery is violence.  It's robbing someone every day of their life and not infrequently also involves assault, rape and even murder. So I've become undecided on the subject. 

I think of it a bit by analogy: if you are walking down the street and see three men beating to death a fourth man, what do you do?  Do you intervene or do you turn your head and walk away?  Does the morality of your decision  change if you are likely to be beaten up by the toughs due to intervention?  What if you are carrying a gun and your intervention may very likely result in one of the men being killed?

I am unsure.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Police powers are also violence.  If you say violence is justified when it is in response to violence, you've justified pretty much all political violence.

Grinning_Colossus

Political violence is justified when there is no democratic mechanism through which to effect change (including when that mechanism is so dysfunctional or compromised as to no longer represent a real alternative), or when the authorities are doing something grossly violative of human rights and urgent action is needed to stop it.

John Brown was entirely justified because he didn't live in a democracy and therefore couldn't effect change democratically. A successful servile war would have produced immense improvements in the South, and it was the duty of every human being to support it.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

MadImmortalMan

All politics is violence.

So I guess politics is never justified.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

From an enlightenment perspective I guess it would be justified when the rights of people are being abused. But violence is a very dangerous genie to be let out of the bottle. There is probably some kind of Augustinian calculus that would have to be a factor there. It is hard to get too upset by things like what happened to Ceausescu in Romania because there was so little instability and death of innocent people that followed. But I guess then you start thinking about the uprising against Bashar Al-Assad. Was that a moral act? I don't know.

QuoteAll politics is violence.

Sure violence is a pretty usual aspect of politics but then it is a pretty usual aspect of most human interaction.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Monoriu

Political violence is never justified. 

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on March 24, 2017, 07:13:55 PM

So...are you saying the Qing Dynasty should still be running China?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on March 24, 2017, 07:15:15 PM

How would they...? :hmm:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on March 24, 2017, 07:19:42 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 24, 2017, 07:15:15 PM

How would they...? :hmm:

I am sure Puyi could have kept the Dynasty going.

Oexmelin

How else do you overthrow people who take pride in their utter lack of morals?
Que le grand cric me croque !

Monoriu

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 24, 2017, 08:14:56 PM

How else do you overthrow people who take pride in their utter lack of morals?

You don't.  You run away :contract:

Valmy

So when you said 'political violence is never justified' did you mean for everybody or just yourself?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on March 24, 2017, 05:55:50 PM
Recently I've been thinking of John Brown and his violent but quixotic struggle to end slavery.  Was he right to do it?  I used to believe that violence is not the answer, it only begets more violence (which in this case was true), but he was also responding to violence.  Slavery is violence.  It's robbing someone every day of their life and not infrequently also involves assault, rape and even murder. So I've become undecided on the subject. 

We know what Languish believes on this subject.

46.7% believe he was right.
48.9% are a puppet of the Slave Power
4.4% a gutless and indecessive
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Oexmelin

Quote from: Valmy on March 24, 2017, 08:29:06 PM
So when you said 'political violence is never justified' did you mean for everybody or just yourself?

It's Mono. His entire political philosophy is based on his own personal sense of comfort.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Razgovory

Yeah, I know we've had this discussion before.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017