News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New Wikileaks on the CIA

Started by viper37, March 07, 2017, 11:20:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Isn't the timing a little too convenient?
Link

Right when Trump is under pressure, when intelligence agencies are investigating his russian ties, something like this comes up.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

I think it has been years since I've cared what they do.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on March 07, 2017, 11:30:53 AM
might be, but it's still front page news of major medias accross the world.  Trump's friends links with Russia are old news now.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Tamas

Quote from: viper37 on March 07, 2017, 12:18:55 PM
might be, but it's still front page news of major medias accross the world.  Trump's friends links with Russia are old news now.

Yes. "OMG! CIA actually spies on people!" will be the Big Scandal of the week/month I guess.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: viper37 on March 07, 2017, 12:18:55 PM

Not exactly - it brought back up the story of the Roger Stone "back-channel" connection to WikiKGBLeaks.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

The Minsky Moment

Anything of interest in here - the only stories are saw were pretty generic.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 08, 2017, 04:41:48 PM

The best analysis I saw said, no there's nothing interesting.  It's all the kinds of stuff we assumed they would be doing.  There's also nothing even remotely illegal, so it's quite unlike the Snowden leaks.

But it is of interest because it's a veritable "how to" of various hacking methods.  In that way it's incredibly damaging to the CIA.

As such there's essentially no public interest being served by it's leak other than to damage the CIA, and by extension, the US.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

They're spying on you through your Samsung tv.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on March 08, 2017, 04:50:12 PM

They're spying on you through your Samsung tv.

Well no, they're not.  Minsky is an American citizen, and that would be illegal.  And there's nothing suggesting that they're illegally spying on US citizens.

You and I, on the other hand... :ph34r:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Poor Samsung, first their phones blow up, and not they're caught selling spy tvs (apparently there's some fine print in the manual about distributing data to third parties, even when the tv is "off").
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grinning_Colossus

MI6 is spying on me through my telescreen and then telling Trump what I'm doing, which is nothing to worry about.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

viper37

Nothing you didn't already see in NCIS ;)

Hacking cellphones and decrypting them, we know this since last year's California case.
Hacking TVs & fridges, we've known about it for years now, how they are vulnerable and manufacturers are still slow to patch them.  If hackers in the wild can do it, the CIA can for sure.

Ed Anger

THE CIA KNOWS HOW MANY JUICE BOXES ARE IN MY FRIDGE!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tonitrus

The government doesn't care what you have in your fridge.  :rolleyes:

By the way, you need to go to the store...you're out of Lunchables.