Shooting / Terror attack in Quebec city mosque

Started by viper37, January 29, 2017, 10:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

A Moroccan? :blink:
Well that's.... Huh

Quote from: Syt on January 30, 2017, 08:18:54 AM
Quote from: Tyr on January 30, 2017, 08:16:59 AM
Aaaannnnddddd there's been an attack on a mosque in Texas too.
Damn Daesh's Marketing and Recruitment department is having a great week.

This one?

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/01/americans-raise-600000-rebuild-burned-texas-mosque-170129205625913.html

Could be.  Seeing it reported a lot just today for some reason.
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

viper37

6 dead (aged between 39 and 60), 8 injured out of 50 people in the Mosque.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: derspiess on January 30, 2017, 09:46:09 AM
A Moroccan farmer, eh?  The plot thickens.

Country bumpkings make most of the North African immigration around here, so it's hardly surprising, except maybe for Viper.  :P

Richard Hakluyt

The mosque itself sounds rather liberal :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_Cultural_Centre_of_Quebec_City

The Islamist zealots hate these sort of Muslims as much, or more, as they hate non-Muslims.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 30, 2017, 03:11:21 AM
Trump is merely a symptom, the disease is a widespread phenomenon.

Trump has given validation to these idiots though

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 30, 2017, 09:56:42 AM
Country bumpkings make most of the North African immigration around here, so it's hardly suprising, except maybe for Viper.  :P
Most agricultural productions requires lots of capital to start, because you need to buy quotas and/or harvest insurances.  I just don't see a newcomer deciding on his own to buy a farm over here, that's just way too much work, and too much capital upfront for a stranger (a 40 cow milk farm could sell for roughtly 2-2.5M $ and it's on the smallish side of farms).

Farmers of all kinds represent 50-75% of my clients.  I ain't ever seen a non-Quebecois (not born here or parents not born here) owning such farms in an area covering roughly 50km west of Quebec city to the mouth of the St-Lawrence.  Closest I had to a foreigner client are Swiss-German farmers, here from 3 or 4 generations.  Aside that, all pure-laine.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 30, 2017, 10:00:28 AM

The Islamist zealots hate these sort of Muslims as much, or more, as they hate non-Muslims.

Yes, it's a pretty liberal mosque.  Unlike Montreal and Toronto, there ain't that many immigrants, most of them are quite integrated in their environment, and there's no political activism.  The only one case was someone from Montreal who promptly left back once it was no longer of mediatic interest.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on January 30, 2017, 10:55:25 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 30, 2017, 10:00:28 AM

Yes, it's a pretty liberal mosque.  Unlike Montreal and Toronto, there ain't that many immigrants, most of them are quite integrated in their environment, and there's no political activism.  The only one case was someone from Montreal who promptly left back once it was no longer of mediatic interest.

From Richard's link

QuotePolitical positions[edit]
The Centre has regularly adopted a stand in the political debate in Quebec. Representatives testified before both the Bélanger-Campeau Commission and the Bouchard-Taylor Commission. In 2011, it also testified in a parliamentary committee in the National Assembly of Quebec against certain aspects of Bill 94 brought forward by the Charest government which governed the requirements to offer public services with uncovered faces.[2].
In 2013, the Centre strongly denounced the draft Quebec Charter of Values.[3]

Does not seem like a very liberal mosque. Not extremist indeed, average conservative (bon teint in French for Viper), or are the standards for mosques so low?

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Can we please wait like a day or so for some details about the perpetrators?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

Guy I know from another forum (not Paradox) went to school with one of the perps... hadn't seen him in 10+ years though.

Richard Hakluyt

@Duque -  the Liberal party opposed that as well  :hmm:

Though I do agree that not covering up one's face when providing public services is a red line for me too.

Barrister

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 30, 2017, 12:45:47 PM
@Duque -  the Liberal party opposed that as well  :hmm:

Though I do agree that not covering up one's face when providing public services is a red line for me too.

The Charter of Quebec Values was widely opposed, and ultimately was never introduced.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.