News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

San Escobar vacation?

Started by Scipio, January 12, 2017, 09:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipio

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/01/11/san-escobar-how-polands-foreign-minister-helped-create-a-fake-country/?utm_term=.c3e05191d672

QuoteThis week, Polish Foreign Minister Witold Waszczykowski was in New York to lobby for a seat on the U.N. Security Council from 2018 to 2019. His efforts were going well, Waszczykowski told reporters Tuesday. He had met with officials from nearly 20 countries, he said, including some Caribbean nations for the first time in Poland's diplomatic history.

"For example, with countries such as Belize or San Escobar," Poland's senior diplomat added.

There is no country called San Escobar. And on social media, Waszczykowski's flub was soon mocked. Many users suggested that he was thinking of Pablo Escobar, the late Colombian drug lord and subject of the Netflix show "Narcos."

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Valmy

He scored one hell of a goal in the 1994 World Cup.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on January 12, 2017, 09:29:33 PM
He scored one hell of a goal in the 1994 World Cup.

And got shot for it.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

He probably meant San Zanzibar.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on January 13, 2017, 07:36:26 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Escobar

Populr (sic) gives a Polish vibe like Ciudad Polaca. :)
Quasi-arabic flag though, despite the star.

garbon

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 13, 2017, 08:41:29 AM

That's really just all you.

Cuba:

Puerto Rico:

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

LaCroix

Quote from: Scipio on January 12, 2017, 09:03:51 PMThere is no country called San Escobar

:huh:

wikipedia says otherwise

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

derspiess

The one place my wife's parents haven't been.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

viper37

Quote from: LaCroix on January 13, 2017, 09:41:19 AM
Quote from: Scipio on January 12, 2017, 09:03:51 PMThere is no country called San Escobar

:huh:

wikipedia says otherwise
Don't know if you're serious...
San Escobar is a non-existent country, a blunder of Polish Minister of Foreign Affairs Witold Waszczykowski.[1][2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Escobar
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: garbon on January 13, 2017, 08:49:28 AM

Not the patterns, but the colours  :secret:

Jordan

Palestine

Sudan

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/01/Flag_of_Sudan.svg/255px-Flag_of_Sudan.svg.png

Though looking a bit more, it's close to South Sudan too  :hmm:

celedhring

It's Poles trying to be funny/clever. Given the experience we have on that regard, I wouldn't ask too much.

garbon

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 13, 2017, 11:29:51 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 13, 2017, 08:49:28 AM

Not the patterns, but the colours  :secret:

Jordan

Palestine

Sudan

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/01/Flag_of_Sudan.svg/255px-Flag_of_Sudan.svg.png

Though looking a bit more, it's close to South Sudan too  :hmm:

Ah black and blue, one color with 2 different names.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.