News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What's in your bug-out bag?

Started by merithyn, December 19, 2016, 03:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: The Brain on December 19, 2016, 03:49:46 PM
A chance to restart civilization without fucking grunge.

A civilization without grunge is not one I wish to be a part of.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on December 19, 2016, 03:53:04 PM
Quote from: The Brain on December 19, 2016, 03:49:46 PM
A chance to restart civilization without fucking grunge.

A civilization without grunge is not one I wish to be a part of.

You got yourself a deal.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadImmortalMan

I guess I could be in that Oregon/Shasta circle in about an hour.  :hmm:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

See? The mountains of Idaho. Every screwjob knows that is where you go to wait out the end of civilization.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 19, 2016, 04:14:10 PM
You can go to Big Bend.  :D

Have you ever been to Big Bend? I mean it is pretty and everything but I wouldn't last long out there.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

The West Coast has been fried by Fukushima radiation I'm told, so how would it be better after a nuclear war?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

Quote from: merithyn on December 19, 2016, 03:52:41 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 19, 2016, 03:42:57 PM
Where the hell are you gonna go? That's maybe more important than what you take with you.

Max has people in the way frozen north, where the caribou roam. Or something like that.

His brother runs a U-Pick farm northwest of Edmonton. :) The kids have the address to meet us there.

Somewhere with an extremely harsh climate seems like a pretty terrible place to survive a collapse of civilization.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on December 19, 2016, 04:16:21 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 19, 2016, 04:14:10 PM
You can go to Big Bend.  :D

Have you ever been to Big Bend? I mean it is pretty and everything but I wouldn't last long out there.

Survive your hometown getting carpet nuked, make your way 400ish miles through hellish post apocalyptic wastelands, die 15 minutes after getting there because you stepped near a rattlesnake.

merithyn

Quote from: Berkut on December 19, 2016, 04:36:03 PM
Quote from: merithyn on December 19, 2016, 03:52:41 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 19, 2016, 03:42:57 PM
Where the hell are you gonna go? That's maybe more important than what you take with you.

Max has people in the way frozen north, where the caribou roam. Or something like that.

His brother runs a U-Pick farm northwest of Edmonton. :) The kids have the address to meet us there.

Somewhere with an extremely harsh climate seems like a pretty terrible place to survive a collapse of civilization.

They're survivors with a farm outside the US. I'll take my chances. Besides, with global warming, we'll be fine in about five years, tops.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Razgovory

My brother-in-law kept buying bug-out bags.  Stupid motherfucker.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

Barb wire & a baseball bat.

I expect to have to kill a lot of people too.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Duque de Bragança

I hope to make it or be close enough to the crossroads of the world so I can reach my secret retreat.  :ph34r:

Barrister

You know Meri, if it's full-blown Global Thermonuclear War, I figure it's pretty much time to tell my wife and kids I love 'em and to start praying.  I live in the middle of a major-enough metropolitan city with significant industrial (refinery) capacity - there's no way we're not a target.

But... earlier this year there was a major forest fire that threatened Ft McMurray.  Because of the way the fire spread that day citizens were given no warning - they were told to evacuate the city immediately.  And so some of the news stories about what people took, or didn't take, were kind of funny.

So I kind of think that's the more interesting question.  Your house is on fire.  You have one minute to fill your "bug out bag" - what do you grab?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Quote from: merithyn on December 19, 2016, 05:06:17 PM

They're survivors with a farm outside the US. I'll take my chances. Besides, with global warming, we'll be fine in about five years, tops.

The nuclear winter will more than offset the global warming. Bring a jacket.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014