News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on January 12, 2024, 02:10:17 PMHaley sucks but at least I think she won't try to destroy our democratic institutions. So I guess I would welcome my new evil overlord if she were to win.

I am pretty sure she would be much stronger on Ukraine than Biden.

And then of course it's no comparison to Trump, who will dump Ukraine as fast as he can.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on January 12, 2024, 02:15:57 PMNo, the knock against Haley is more that "she's just a typical politician", and that she isn't as transgressively entertaining as Trump is.

Yeah. She is the establishment RINO corrupt blah blah. Which is why I don't think she is going to win.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 12, 2024, 09:07:36 AMAre you caucusing for her?

I gave it half a thought.  It would have been a more comfortable vote for me than Rubio in 2016.  But 2 feet of snow and a forecast of 0 degrees sapped my civic zeal.

Admiral Yi

MSNBC  :rolleyes: is reporting a taped phone conversation involving convicted and pardoned Trump crony Roger Stone obtained from Media-ite. :unsure:

Did Stone want to assassinate two Democratic members of Congress or has the tape been altered?

Razgovory

I doubt it was altered, but Roger Stone is normally full of shit.  So he was probably just bullshiting.  Obviously, he didn't do it.  He probably wishes he could have people killed and this was just his typical crazy fantasizing.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

The AP called Iowa for Trump with 1% reporting.

Swami just suspended his campaign.

Sheilbh

Yeah. My understanding is they called it while people were still voting. I understand it with timezones (though still feel it should be banned) but it feels really dodgy when it's a single state and the voting is literally still happening.

I get AP want to be first, just not sure it's worth it.
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

51% in Iowa?

If you think of Trump as a primary contender this is dominant, but if you think of him as an incumbent this is an embarrassment
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

NPR was talking blow out last night.  I was expecting much worse than 51%.

Josquius

Apparently the weather is awful there?
I heard this could be a factor in trump doing better than expected with his supporters being cultists who would crawl over broken glass for him whilst the other candidates don't have such a following.
Maybe wishful thinking.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Josquius on January 16, 2024, 02:32:25 PMApparently the weather is awful there?
I heard this could be a factor in trump doing better than expected with his supporters being cultists who would crawl over broken glass for him whilst the other candidates don't have such a following.
Maybe wishful thinking.

There's definitely that possibility.

Iowa caucuses are weird because they are caucuses.  You don't just show up, cast your vote, and leave.  You're committing to sticking around for a few hours, and you "vote" by physically standing with one group or another.  So yes it does reward those with the most hard-core supporters.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

Yeah, they're ridiculous and undemocratic as you can easily be peer-pressured into voting for someone who you may not prefer.  Most states have done away with the caucus nomination system.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Minsky Moment

He's not an incumbent. 51% is 51%.  He lapped the field in Iowa.  DeSantis is done; he doesn't have a plan for any state he can realistically win. He's only shot is DJT not being a candidate any more.  Haley has her shot to take in NH; if she loses there, she is done.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 16, 2024, 05:37:22 AMYeah. My understanding is they called it while people were still voting. I understand it with timezones (though still feel it should be banned) but it feels really dodgy when it's a single state and the voting is literally still happening.

You show up at 7 and sit around until the process is complete.  It's not like people are watching the news at 8:00 and decide not to show up because the AP called it.

FYI @all, I've been to two cauci and the Democratic one was stand in herds and the Republican one was either show of hands or voting slip. 

Admiral Yi

Another thing that is undemocratic about the caucus which does not seem to be common knowledge is they don't actually choose delegates to the convention.  I asked a precinct captain once and he said the state committees just   give all the votes to whoever ends up winning the nomination.  It's a glorified straw poll.