News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: The Larch on June 16, 2020, 09:16:34 AM
I have no idea where this ACW hijack is coming from.

I'm sure that also went through Lincoln's mind as he watched the third act of Our American Cousin. Also the bullet.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: merithyn on June 17, 2020, 03:53:19 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 17, 2020, 02:12:22 PM
So the stories are starting to come out of the Bolton book and they are bad :blink: :bleeding:

I still feel these may have been useful, if less profitable, during the impeachment hearings <_<

I ordered the book. How could I not?

You should cancel it. You know what Trump is. You don't need to make Bolton rich for not testifying during impeachment.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on June 17, 2020, 09:11:35 PM
You should cancel it. You know what Trump is. You don't need to make Bolton rich for not testifying during impeachment.

He didn't testify during the House proceedings because he was bound Trump's order not to and the Democrats never issued a subpoena for his testimony for a court to adjudicate.  He didn't testify during the Senate proceedings because the Senate voted not to call witnesses.

The Brain

He's a total scumbag who harmed America. I wouldn't give him my money.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zoupa

:pirate: is the best option in cases like these.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 17, 2020, 09:29:32 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 17, 2020, 09:11:35 PM

He didn't testify during the House proceedings because he was bound Trump's order not to and the Democrats never issued a subpoena for his testimony for a court to adjudicate.  He didn't testify during the Senate proceedings because the Senate voted not to call witnesses.
How was he bound by Trump's order?
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 18, 2020, 03:01:58 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 17, 2020, 09:29:32 PM

Yi should have said that Bolton felt bound by Trump's order.  Lots of people felt differently and testified.

It isn't clear to me why Bolton wanted to avoid testifying.  He clearly doesn't like Trump, but he also clearly doesn't like checks and balances.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

I suspect it was because he thought it might negatively impact his book sales.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

FunkMonk

Welcome to the Resistance, John Bolton.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Admiral Yi

Was he not?  It's my understanding that as an executive branch employee at the time it wasn't his call.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 18, 2020, 09:20:04 AM

Was he not?  It's my understanding that as an executive branch employee at the time it wasn't his call.
He resigned on 10 September, the House launched their impeachment hearings a fortnight later. He was deposed for the House but refused to attend and threatened to take legal action if he was subpoenaed. He later said he would be willing to testify if subpoenaed by the Senate. They, of course, voted not to.

I don't think there was any cross-over with him being employed by the executive branch and the impeeachment proceedings.
Let's bomb Russia!