News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Drew Brees has reconsidered his stance on players protesting by kneeling during the national anthem. Of course this can't go uncriticized:

QuoteDonald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

20m
I am a big fan of Drew Brees. I think he's truly one of the greatest quarterbacks, but he should not have taken back his original stance on honoring our magnificent American Flag. OLD GLORY is to be revered, cherished, and flown high...

...We should be standing up straight and tall, ideally with a salute, or a hand on heart. There are other things you can protest, but not our Great American Flag - NO KNEELING!
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Solmyr

QuoteDonald J. Trump
OLD GLORY is to be revered, cherished, and flown high...

And hugged and fondled and grabbed by the pussy.

Admiral Yi

Malthus

Stop the cameras when he starts taking off his pants, please. 😄
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Quote from: Caliga on June 05, 2020, 12:24:53 PM
Quote from: Syt on June 05, 2020, 10:22:38 AM
He's on 30+ minutes stream of consciousness rambling. It's really, really painful to watch. Other people would have been taken to the asylum for less.
Why bother watching at all?  He's a madman.  I don't pay attention to the ravings of lunatics. :sleep:

Have you just pretended to read my posts all these years? :(
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

Quote from: Solmyr on June 05, 2020, 03:57:35 PM
QuoteDonald J. Trump
OLD GLORY is to be revered, cherished, and flown high...

And hugged and fondled and grabbed by the pussy.

Desecration of the flag.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on June 05, 2020, 03:30:52 PM
Drew Brees has reconsidered his stance on players protesting by kneeling during the national anthem. Of course this can't go uncriticized:

QuoteDonald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

20m
I am a big fan of Drew Brees. I think he's truly one of the greatest quarterbacks, but he should not have taken back his original stance on honoring our magnificent American Flag. OLD GLORY is to be revered, cherished, and flown high...

...We should be standing up straight and tall, ideally with a salute, or a hand on heart. There are other things you can protest, but not our Great American Flag - NO KNEELING!

I've always been amused by those who claim that their method of showing respect is the only one that shows respect.  I thought Kapernick hit exactly the right note with his protest:  Catholics, at least, cannot claim that kneeling is disrespectful.  There's lots of examples of people using kneeling to show respect. 

Kenneth Branagh doesn't seem to be disrespecting his queen here.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Larch

Quote from: grumbler on June 05, 2020, 06:30:20 PM
Quote from: Syt on June 05, 2020, 03:30:52 PM

QuoteDonald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

20m

I've always been amused by those who claim that their method of showing respect is the only one that shows respect.  I thought Kapernick hit exactly the right note with his protest:  Catholics, at least, cannot claim that kneeling is disrespectful.  There's lots of examples of people using kneeling to show respect. 

Kenneth Branagh doesn't seem to be disrespecting his queen here.

In fact Kaepernick, who at first sat down instead of kneeling, changed his method of protest on advice from Nate Boyer, a fellow NFL player and army veteran, and Boyer's arguments went more or less in the direction you're pointing.

MARTIN: So take us back. How did you get to talk with Colin Kaepernick to begin with? How did your conversation ensue?

BOYER: You know, this was two years ago, 2016 during the preseason. And he, you know, had sat on the bench. And I think it was actually his third time he'd sat on the bench. But it was the first time it had received national attention. And, you know, he got questioned about it, and he said, well, I'm not going to stand for the flag of a country that oppresses black people and people of color. And then he talked about, you know, social injustices and police brutality and why he thought, you know, he shouldn't be standing for the anthem.

And it struck a chord with me, of course, and it struck a chord with a lot of people - a lot of people in the veteran community as well - because obviously the flag and the anthem and what that stuff stands for means something, you know, very different to us. And I was pretty upset, you know, just because I felt like he didn't understand what those symbols really represent. And - but instead of letting my anger overwhelm me, I decided to relax a little bit, and I wrote this open letter that was just explaining my experiences, my relationship to the flag.

And Colin actually reached out, said he wanted to meet with me. And we sat in the lobby of the team hotel, discussed our situation, our different opinions and feelings about all this. And I suggested him taking a knee instead of sitting even though I wanted him to stand, and he wanted to sit. And it was, like, this compromise that we sort of came to. And that's where the kneeling began.

MARTIN: How did the idea of taking a knee come to you?

BOYER: I thought - at that time I said, look, I think your point has definitely been made that everyone's listening. Like, let's make a plan of attack now. And, you know, let's work on action for it. But he said, you know, what I've committed to this, and - I'm not going to do it until I start to see these changes I want to see. And, you know, I respected that decision and opinion. And I thought kneeling - personally, so I don't speak for everybody, I don't speak for every veteran. I've been told that numerous times by many people. But I thought kneeling was more respectful, and I will say that being alongside his teammates was the biggest thing for me.

And, you know, people - in my opinions and in my experience, kneeling's never been in our history really seen as a disrespectful act. I mean, people kneel when they get knighted. You kneel to propose to your wife, and you take a knee to pray. And soldiers often take a knee in front of a fallen brother's grave to pay respects. So I thought, if anything, besides standing, that was the most respectful. But, of course, that's just my opinion.

DGuller

Quote from: Malthus on June 05, 2020, 04:37:53 PM
Stop the cameras when he starts taking off his pants, please. 😄
:rolleyes: If you're not interested, no one's forcing you to watch.

Sheilbh

Trump is apparently considering a major speech on race.

This might not go well :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 07, 2020, 05:25:11 PM

If it's a speech and not a press conference or the like, it will be one of those teleprompter deals that sounds like generic political platitudes.  It means his handlers have convinced Trump that his tweets are not winning this fight.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 07, 2020, 05:46:57 PM

If it's a speech and not a press conference or the like, it will be one of those teleprompter deals that sounds like generic political platitudes.  It means his handlers have convinced Trump that his tweets are not winning this fight.

Yeah usually when he does something like this it's just him vacuously reading (poorly) a prepared statement in a very bored tone.

The best ones are when he looks like a hostage being forced to read a statement.  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Maladict

Let's hope so.

Sheilbh

The President is publicly arguing with a bot:
QuoteDonald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
Actually, a great book by a great and highly respected historian, Doug Wead!
QuoteAmazon warehouse robot
@robot_amazon
Replying to
@realDonaldTrump
Wed 26 Feb 2020 12:46:17 PM CET Please, Paperbacks are so 2019
Inside Trump's White House: The Real Story of His Presidency
Let's bomb Russia!