News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

What will a Trump presidency look like? Like this...

Link

QuoteWARSAW — The Law and Justice Party rode to power on a pledge to drain the swamp of Polish politics and roll back the legacy of the previous administration. One year later, its patriotic revolution, the party proclaims, has cleaned house and brought God and country back to Poland.

Opponents, however, see the birth of a neo-Dark Age — one that, as President-elect Donald Trump prepares to move into the White House, is a harbinger of the power of populism to upend a Western society. In merely a year, critics say, the nationalists have transformed Poland into a surreal and insular place — one where state-sponsored conspiracy theories and de facto propaganda distract the public as democracy erodes.

In the land of Law and Justice, anti-intellectualism is king. Polish scientists are aghast at proposed curriculum changes in a new education bill that would downplay evolution theory and climate change and add hours for "patriotic" history lessons. In a Facebook chat, a top equal rights official mused that Polish hotels should not be forced to provide service to black or gay customers. After the official stepped down for unrelated reasons, his successor rejected an international convention to combat violence against women because it appeared to argue against traditional gender roles.

Over the weekend, Warsaw convulsed in street protests amid allegations that the Law and Justice party had illegally forced through a budget bill even as it sought to restrict media access to Parliament.

Cheered on by religious conservatives, the new government has defunded public assistance for in vitro fertilization treatments. To draft new sexual-education classes in schools, it tapped a contraceptives opponent who argues that condom use increases the risk of cancer in women. The government is proffering a law that critics say could soon be used to limit opposition protests.

Yet nothing has shocked liberals more than this: After a year in power, Law and Justice is still by far the most popular political party in Poland. It rides atop opinion polls at roughly 36 percent — more than double the popularity of the ousted Civic Platform party.

"The people support us," boasted Adam Bielan, Law and Justice's deputy speaker of the Senate.

Trump is promising a tax code rework that could trigger a bonanza of cash rebates for Americans. In Poland, Law and Justice put cash in pockets in other ways, but always while merging social conservatism and nationalism with populist economics. The new government doled out money to families with children. They also slashed Poland's retirement age — to as young as 60 for women and 65 for men.

Opponents call such actions the "buying" of support, moves that will only drive up Polish debt and masquerade a long-term power grab that could entrench Law and Justice for years.

But right now, for many Poles, nationalism has never felt so good.

"We are living in this post-truth environment where you can say and do anything and people don't seem to care," said Jacek Kucharczyk, president of the Warsaw-based Institute of Public Affairs.

The road to Law and Justice country runs an hour outside cosmopolitan Warsaw, down a dirt path in the hamlet of Krupia Wolka. Once there, pass the front-yard playground of a cream-colored house and meet Pawel and Maria Wiechowski.

High school sweethearts, they married back in 1992. Two-and-a-half decades and 10 children later, they're still deeply Catholic — and still struggling financially.

Maria, a therapist for autistic children, quit work when child-care costs exceeded what she earned. Pawel, a craftsman, makes intricate moldings for ceilings and walls. Their parents helped them buy their six-bedroom dream home in the country, so they're mortgage-free. But he hasn't had work in two months.

During dry spells before, the couple would mothball their 20-year-old VW van to save on gas, and the kids would walk to school. But in the era of Law and Justice, there's no need. The new government program for families is the Wiechowskis' life raft; it offers them a monthly cash payout worth nearly $1,000.

"Right now, that's 100 percent of our income," Pawel said. "Some people criticize the child benefit and say it's a government handout. It's not. It is support for traditional families."

Pawel voted for Law and Justice last year as "the lesser of two evils." But now he's a true believer.

"In the United States, you had the same choice, picking the lesser of two evils," he said. "I wasn't sure a year ago either, but now I see how right we were."

Embracing the new government, to some measure, also means buying into the disturbing worldview it sells: You can only trust a Pole — even then, only some.

And the party's views have never been more effectively disseminated. The national broadcaster in Poland would often tilt toward the party in power. But following its victory, Law and Justice launched an unprecedented purge of journalists at the channel, turning it into what opponents describe as a propaganda machine where conspiracy theories flourish. It recently ran a piece on the health risks of child vaccinations.

Conservative Catholic radio and television, meanwhile, is abuzz with the reopening of an investigation into the 2010 plane crash that killed then-President Lech Kaczynski, his wife and 94 others. The crash was blamed on human error at the time. But Jaroslaw Kaczynski — the late president's twin brother and Law and Justice's powerful party chief — appears certain it was a coverup.

Was it? "We are considering the possibility," Pawel said with a nod.

The new government is also skeptical of the Paris climate change agreement to cut carbon emissions and has pulled support for Polish wind and solar farms. At the same time, it is pumping more money into coal.

"Who really knows what is causing global warming?" Pawel said. "And Poland needs the coal industry."

Maria was always more concerned with the spread of liberal values, which Law and Justice has, she said, rightly nipped in the bud. There is no more talk in Poland, for instance, of offering any legal rights to same-sex couples. Earlier this year, the office of a lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender group in Warsaw was badly vandalized. Police never caught the perpetrators.

"Homosexuality was quiet before, then they tried to normalize it," she said. "You don't see that happening now."

Are they concerned about allegations the new government is distracting the public as it chips away at Polish democracy?

"No," she said. "I think they're just cleaning house."

On a frigid recent evening in Warsaw, Monika Mizolebska, a museum researcher, stoically marched with thousands of other Poles to protest the new government. This is the street opposition — the people terrified by what they see unfolding in Poland.

Already, the new government has taken steps to limit the power of the constitutional court, chipping away, critics say, at checks and balances. A new draft law would also allow government-appointed governors the right to decide on future permits for demonstrations.

"I'm here marching because it may be the last time we're allowed to," she said. "I don't think many of us really understand what's happening in Poland."

The mother of a 13-year-old daughter, Mizolebska said she is deeply concerned about what sees as an attack on women's reproductive rights. A near-total abortion ban — women and doctors faced up to five years in jail — was defeated in October after a massive street protest. But she fears it may yet come back.

"The government wants women to be mothers, to be housewives, but my daughter wants to be a writer, maybe a journalist," she said. "But what chance does she have here? In these conditions?"

She is also concerned about a new proposed school curriculum the Polish Academy of Sciences says will marginalize evolution theory by reducing its prominence in some grades. Sciences more generally would receive less time, in favor of more hours for Polish history.

"I can't believe it's 2016 and we're still talking about whether to teach evolution," she said, shaking her head. "Where is all this going? I'm afraid."
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: Tamas on December 19, 2016, 04:56:39 PM
I would just like to jump in, maybe not perfectly timed, that the non stop grilling of derspiess here is getting old.

I'll admit that I bring some of it on myself, being the resident bomb-thrower and all.  If I were smarter I'd do what Scippy does and avoid political discussions here altogether.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

viper37

Quote from: Solmyr on December 19, 2016, 04:16:29 PM
Quote from: viper37 on December 19, 2016, 03:32:57 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 19, 2016, 03:22:02 PM
Quote from: Solmyr on December 19, 2016, 03:12:57 PM
Quote from: Valmy on December 19, 2016, 01:23:02 PM
the private sphere is supposed to be more efficient

This is, of course, bullshit.

:lol: Riiiight.
A private monopoly will be just as inefficient as a government monopoly.

And if anything, there's probably going to be more corruption there.

I wouldn't be so sure.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: merithyn on December 19, 2016, 05:12:06 PM
What will a Trump presidency look like? Like this...

Link

QuoteWARSAW — The Law and Justice Party rode to power on a pledge to drain the swamp of Polish politics and roll back the legacy of the previous administration. One year later, its patriotic revolution, the party proclaims, has cleaned house and brought God and country back to Poland.

Opponents, however, see the birth of a neo-Dark Age — one that, as President-elect Donald Trump prepares to move into the White House, is a harbinger of the power of populism to upend a Western society. In merely a year, critics say, the nationalists have transformed Poland into a surreal and insular place — one where state-sponsored conspiracy theories and de facto propaganda distract the public as democracy erodes.

In the land of Law and Justice, anti-intellectualism is king. Polish scientists are aghast at proposed curriculum changes in a new education bill that would downplay evolution theory and climate change and add hours for "patriotic" history lessons. In a Facebook chat, a top equal rights official mused that Polish hotels should not be forced to provide service to black or gay customers. After the official stepped down for unrelated reasons, his successor rejected an international convention to combat violence against women because it appeared to argue against traditional gender roles.

Over the weekend, Warsaw convulsed in street protests amid allegations that the Law and Justice party had illegally forced through a budget bill even as it sought to restrict media access to Parliament.

Cheered on by religious conservatives, the new government has defunded public assistance for in vitro fertilization treatments. To draft new sexual-education classes in schools, it tapped a contraceptives opponent who argues that condom use increases the risk of cancer in women. The government is proffering a law that critics say could soon be used to limit opposition protests.

Yet nothing has shocked liberals more than this: After a year in power, Law and Justice is still by far the most popular political party in Poland. It rides atop opinion polls at roughly 36 percent — more than double the popularity of the ousted Civic Platform party.

"The people support us," boasted Adam Bielan, Law and Justice's deputy speaker of the Senate.

Trump is promising a tax code rework that could trigger a bonanza of cash rebates for Americans. In Poland, Law and Justice put cash in pockets in other ways, but always while merging social conservatism and nationalism with populist economics. The new government doled out money to families with children. They also slashed Poland's retirement age — to as young as 60 for women and 65 for men.

Opponents call such actions the "buying" of support, moves that will only drive up Polish debt and masquerade a long-term power grab that could entrench Law and Justice for years.

But right now, for many Poles, nationalism has never felt so good.

"We are living in this post-truth environment where you can say and do anything and people don't seem to care," said Jacek Kucharczyk, president of the Warsaw-based Institute of Public Affairs.

The road to Law and Justice country runs an hour outside cosmopolitan Warsaw, down a dirt path in the hamlet of Krupia Wolka. Once there, pass the front-yard playground of a cream-colored house and meet Pawel and Maria Wiechowski.

High school sweethearts, they married back in 1992. Two-and-a-half decades and 10 children later, they're still deeply Catholic — and still struggling financially.

Maria, a therapist for autistic children, quit work when child-care costs exceeded what she earned. Pawel, a craftsman, makes intricate moldings for ceilings and walls. Their parents helped them buy their six-bedroom dream home in the country, so they're mortgage-free. But he hasn't had work in two months.

During dry spells before, the couple would mothball their 20-year-old VW van to save on gas, and the kids would walk to school. But in the era of Law and Justice, there's no need. The new government program for families is the Wiechowskis' life raft; it offers them a monthly cash payout worth nearly $1,000.

"Right now, that's 100 percent of our income," Pawel said. "Some people criticize the child benefit and say it's a government handout. It's not. It is support for traditional families."

Pawel voted for Law and Justice last year as "the lesser of two evils." But now he's a true believer.

"In the United States, you had the same choice, picking the lesser of two evils," he said. "I wasn't sure a year ago either, but now I see how right we were."

Embracing the new government, to some measure, also means buying into the disturbing worldview it sells: You can only trust a Pole — even then, only some.

And the party's views have never been more effectively disseminated. The national broadcaster in Poland would often tilt toward the party in power. But following its victory, Law and Justice launched an unprecedented purge of journalists at the channel, turning it into what opponents describe as a propaganda machine where conspiracy theories flourish. It recently ran a piece on the health risks of child vaccinations.

Conservative Catholic radio and television, meanwhile, is abuzz with the reopening of an investigation into the 2010 plane crash that killed then-President Lech Kaczynski, his wife and 94 others. The crash was blamed on human error at the time. But Jaroslaw Kaczynski — the late president's twin brother and Law and Justice's powerful party chief — appears certain it was a coverup.

Was it? "We are considering the possibility," Pawel said with a nod.

The new government is also skeptical of the Paris climate change agreement to cut carbon emissions and has pulled support for Polish wind and solar farms. At the same time, it is pumping more money into coal.

"Who really knows what is causing global warming?" Pawel said. "And Poland needs the coal industry."

Maria was always more concerned with the spread of liberal values, which Law and Justice has, she said, rightly nipped in the bud. There is no more talk in Poland, for instance, of offering any legal rights to same-sex couples. Earlier this year, the office of a lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender group in Warsaw was badly vandalized. Police never caught the perpetrators.

"Homosexuality was quiet before, then they tried to normalize it," she said. "You don't see that happening now."

Are they concerned about allegations the new government is distracting the public as it chips away at Polish democracy?

"No," she said. "I think they're just cleaning house."

On a frigid recent evening in Warsaw, Monika Mizolebska, a museum researcher, stoically marched with thousands of other Poles to protest the new government. This is the street opposition — the people terrified by what they see unfolding in Poland.

Already, the new government has taken steps to limit the power of the constitutional court, chipping away, critics say, at checks and balances. A new draft law would also allow government-appointed governors the right to decide on future permits for demonstrations.

"I'm here marching because it may be the last time we're allowed to," she said. "I don't think many of us really understand what's happening in Poland."

The mother of a 13-year-old daughter, Mizolebska said she is deeply concerned about what sees as an attack on women's reproductive rights. A near-total abortion ban — women and doctors faced up to five years in jail — was defeated in October after a massive street protest. But she fears it may yet come back.

"The government wants women to be mothers, to be housewives, but my daughter wants to be a writer, maybe a journalist," she said. "But what chance does she have here? In these conditions?"

She is also concerned about a new proposed school curriculum the Polish Academy of Sciences says will marginalize evolution theory by reducing its prominence in some grades. Sciences more generally would receive less time, in favor of more hours for Polish history.

"I can't believe it's 2016 and we're still talking about whether to teach evolution," she said, shaking her head. "Where is all this going? I'm afraid."

Wonder what Martinus would say.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 19, 2016, 06:08:20 PM

He still thinks that hovering in a certain socioeconomic strata will protect him, which is funny as fuck all.   

The Minsky Moment

"Milo" will protect him, using his amusing anecdotes and obnoxious smirk.
Either that, or he will convert to Islam and put his faith in Allah.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

celedhring

World is a grim place when Spain suddenly becomes one of the most liberal countries to be atm.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: celedhring on December 19, 2016, 07:21:23 PM
World is a grim place when Spain suddenly becomes one of the most enlightened countries to be atm.

Probably b/c people there still have a clear memory of what fascism is actually like to play around with it for giggles.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 19, 2016, 06:08:20 PM

Due to my (apparently) amazing ability to remember things that happened in the recent past, we can find out.

http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,14424.msg1028809.html#msg1028809
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Whatever mart says, it won't have any vowels.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 19, 2016, 07:17:41 PM
He still thinks that hovering in a certain socioeconomic strata will protect him, which is funny as fuck all.
He is kinda right.  If he doesn't wait too long, he'll still be able to move abroad.  The trick is knowing when to leave.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: viper37 on December 19, 2016, 09:18:02 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 19, 2016, 07:17:41 PM
He is kinda right.  If he doesn't wait too long, he'll still be able to move abroad.  The trick is knowing when to leave.

No, I agree;  working for a transnational murders and acquisitions firm gives him a fighting chance to get out while the getting is good, but a lot of Warsaw and Parisian muckity muck Jews thought the same, too.  ALL ABOARD

Ed Anger

Officer: get on board!
mart: is there a dining car?
officer: *tosses Mart a rotten potato*
Mart: LUXURY!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Good News!!!

You vill all be going home for se holidays!

Unfortunately as lamp shades and bars soap.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".