What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Oexmelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 30, 2020, 04:54:11 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HljIJDgBHrs

Donald folds  like a little bitch on opening back up in 15 days.  Guidelines extended to April 30.

Man up you pussy.

Don't jinx it.
Que le grand cric me croque !

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 30, 2020, 04:54:11 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HljIJDgBHrs

Donald folds  like a little bitch on opening back up in 15 days.  Guidelines extended to April 30.

Man up you pussy.

Really? Give him any reason whatsoever to change his mind and he'll take it. What are you thinking?? :mad:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

I'm thinking that Donnie only ever responds to criticism by saying I'm rubber you're glue.  He never does what the critic suggests.

Admiral Yi

To qualify, I can think of exactly one (1) case in which Donald changed his behavior in response to criticism.  That was when Ann Coulter called him a wuss for not building Teh Wall.  And, ladies and gentlemen, I am no Ann Coulter.  We are safe.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on March 30, 2020, 12:00:21 PM
No.  When Reagan said it, and when most conservatives up until the Trump era said it, they meant shrinking the size of government.  Perhaps axing a whole department or two (In the US, Dept of Education was often mentioned since education is a state responsibility), reducing the number of laws, the number of regulations.

They also talked about Federalism, which is where they meant transferring power back to states (and perhaps local government, but I believe those are creations of the states).

Small government meant several things - different messages to different constituencies.  To traditional CoC Republicans it meant low taxes and less regs on business.  To southern neo-segregationists it meant less federal supervision of civil rights.  To evangelicals, it meant less supervision of religious messages pushed by local school boards into public schools.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Traditionally America did not maintain significant land forces in peacetime; that changed under the pressure of the ideological struggle of the Soviet Union.  9/11 causes Americans to accept another big and permanent ramp up in the security state and more government intervention.  This experience will have the same result.

The US is still feeling its way through this current crisis.  The end result will be harsh but the barn door will get shut after the wolf has its fill.  Churchill was right about America - we will always do the right thing, but only after exhausting all other alternatives.  We are still running through the last set of alternatives.  Almost there.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Sometimes Trump does tell the truth after all:

QuotePresident Trump on Monday criticized attempts by Democrats in Congress to expand voting access for the presidential election in the fall, saying increased voter turnout would keep Republicans from getting elected.

Trump said that Democrat-proposed voting reforms to the $2.2 trillion rescue package passed last week by Congress — which were largely cut from the deal — would have led to "levels of voting, that if you ever agreed to it you'd never have a Republican elected in this country again

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/elections-2020/trump-says-democrats-push-for-expanded-voting-threatens-republicans/ar-BB11Vumz?ocid=spartandhp
--Joan Robinson

Syt

Isn't that something other Republicans have more or less openly said?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

Sotto voce.  Not blurting out on the HIGHEST RATED TV morning news show.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Well...I mean...it isn't.

But very hard to actually get somebody on.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Despite the gathering crisis, Trump finds time to help out an old friend:

Russian plane with coronavirus medical gear flies to U.S. after Trump-Putin call

Russia is sending the United States medical equipment to help fight the coronavirus pandemic, a public relations coup for Russian President Vladimir Putin after he discussed the crisis with U.S. President Donald Trump

Why would a patriotic US president hand Putin a propraganda coup like this?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

I'm not going to fault him for this. How many health care worker infections is it worth to deny this "propaganda victory"?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Habbaku

Quote from: Valmy on April 01, 2020, 03:44:33 PM
Well...I mean...it isn't.

:huh: It very well could be. It all depends on the relationship between her and the people she claims are making the decisions. If she is relaying details to them that she shouldn't be, that's the illegal part. If she and her husband have truly been hands-off about this and haven't been passing on private information, they're in the clear.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien