What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on July 02, 2019, 02:33:08 PM
It might be nothing, but there are two growing crisis at the moment.  The situation in the Gulf and the protests in Hong Kong.  If the CIA got wind of Chinese orders to crush the Hong Kong protesters that would be a reason to call everyone back.

Could well be, though I think Trump would not be bothered by the likely Xi crackdown, he probably has a low opinion of all pro-democracy demonstrators.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Quote from: mongers on July 02, 2019, 06:24:15 PM
It might be nothing, but there are two growing crisis at the moment.  The situation in the Gulf and the protests in Hong Kong.  If the CIA got wind of Chinese orders to crush the Hong Kong protesters that would be a reason to call everyone back.

Could well be, though I think Trump would not be bothered by the likely Xi crackdown, he probably has a low opinion of all pro-democracy demonstrators.
He may not be bothered, but he may be curious.

Razgovory

Quote from: mongers on July 02, 2019, 06:24:15 PM

Orders to suppress a protest can get out of hand very quickly.  That was how the Soviet Union fell.

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on July 02, 2019, 07:08:25 PM
Orders to suppress a protest can get out of hand very quickly.  That was how the Soviet Union fell.
It's one of those things that are unfortunately all-or-nothing, and Gorbachev was definitely no butcher (which is one of the many reasons Russians despise him).  You either commit to suppression or you don't do it. 

Unfortunately commitment to suppression usually works, I don't think there is much danger of Kim being overthrown.  Another unfortunate thing is that now is as good a a time as any for someone who would normally be hesitant for fear of geopolitical consequences to "do it right".

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DGuller on July 02, 2019, 07:14:18 PM
It's one of those things that are unfortunately all-or-nothing, and Gorbachev was definitely no butcher (which is one of the many reasons Russians despise him).  You either commit to suppression or you don't do it. 

Unfortunately commitment to suppression usually works, I don't think there is much danger of Kim being overthrown.  Another unfortunate thing is that now is as good a a time as any for someone who would normally be hesitant for fear of geopolitical consequences to "do it right".
Wrong dictator
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 02, 2019, 10:12:09 PM

Wrong dictator
Flawless perception of context.

Admiral Yi

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on July 03, 2019, 12:53:26 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 02, 2019, 10:12:09 PM

Wrong dictator
Flawless perception of context.

Well it is Tim.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

So the citizenship question will not feature on the census.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on July 03, 2019, 05:28:25 AM

I appreciate the concern about the question but not census-ing whether the replying person is a citizen is just silly.

I am increasingly wondering whether aspects of the politics legislature of the US (and the UK in fact) are showing signs that they'll remain flexible in a changing world and will adopt to the new global world better, or instead they show sign of being increasingly out of touch with the necessities and problems of the modern world.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on July 03, 2019, 06:13:02 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 03, 2019, 05:28:25 AM

I appreciate the concern about the question but not census-ing whether the replying person is a citizen is just silly.

Odd, given that the Supreme Court were the ones who said the Trump administration had not demonstrated sufficient need to add the question.

garbon

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/07/citizenship-questions-are-not-historically-normal/593014/

QuoteNever in the 230-year history of the census has the complete-count questionnaire (or its equivalent) asked for the citizenship status of everyone in the country, as Ross proposed. When citizenship was asked at all, it was directed to small segments of the population, such as foreign-born men 21 or older (1890 to 1910) or foreign-born people (1930 to 1950), mainly to figure out how well they were assimilating into the United States. After the 1950 census, questions about citizenship or naturalization were confined to sample surveys that went to only a small percentage of households.