And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on December 14, 2016, 11:41:37 PM
Quote from: Valmy on December 14, 2016, 11:38:18 PM
Look you can make fun of people being ridiculous all you want Spicey but don't start with that retarded meme shit.

You're only encouraging me...

Oh? Is this opposite day? Alright please post nothing but shitty memes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

PRC

Look you can make fun of people being ridiculous all you want Spicey but don't start with that retarded meme shit.

I don't know what to call it, but the "meme culture" that has developed, particularly in the last few years and especially with this election... it's a disappointing development in social channel interaction.

It's been a natural development of the internet and you can't help but laugh at half the shit out there.  But posting a meme in response to something that resembles a reasonable argument in a post is not an intelligent form of conversation.  It's anonymous conversation for cowards, even when it comes close to the mark and generates a laugh, it's an easy way out of actually engaging with someone.

If we're all going to be speaking in reference, I guess we'll all end up developing into that species Captain Picard met in the "Darmok & Jalad at Tanagra" episode of ST:TNG.

MadImmortalMan

We're spoiled. A few years ago I went on a different messageboard with a dissimilar population to this one and posted something. The reply I got had a ratio of words to animated gifs of roughly 1:1. That shit isn't new.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

11B4V

Quote from: PRC on December 15, 2016, 12:03:46 AM

I don't know what to call it, but the "meme culture" that has developed, particularly in the last few years and especially with this election... it's a disappointing development in social channel interaction.

It's been a natural development of the internet and you can't help but laugh at half the shit out there.  But posting a meme in response to something that resembles a reasonable argument in a post is not an intelligent form of conversation.  It's anonymous conversation for cowards, even when it comes close to the mark and generates a laugh, it's an easy way out of actually engaging with someone.

If we're all going to be speaking in reference, I guess we'll all end up developing into that species Captain Picard met in the "Darmok & Jalad at Tanagra" episode of ST:TNG.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

PRC

I knew that was coming.  Y'all hitting all the home runs in T-Ball.

DGuller

Ironic meme responses are only marginally better than retarded meme responses.  Seriously, the whole Internet being full of too-cool kids has certainly not helped the level of discourse.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 14, 2016, 11:39:26 PM
Trumpster getting fresh.  :perv:

Wait when did he have the gay Silicon Valley executives forum?  I missed that news cycle.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tamas

You know, Pence would look greatin a WW2 movie. Wearing an SS officer's uniform

mongers

Seven minutes ago.

Donald J. Trump 
@realDonaldTrump

Has anyone looked at the really poor numbers of @VanityFair Magazine. Way down, big trouble, dead! Graydon Carter, no talent, will be out!
5:05 AM - 15 Dec 2016

:huh:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

He is going after Vanity Fair now? What next? Better Home and Gardens?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Admiral Yi

Vanity Fair publishes a lot of current events commentary.

HisMajestyBOB

Better Homes and Gardens had an excellent recent article on the implications of Trump's election on US relationships with Russia and NATO, so expect tweets about them soon, too.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Valmy

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on December 15, 2016, 10:41:23 AM
Better Homes and Gardens had an excellent recent article on the implications of Trump's election on US relationships with Russia and NATO, so expect tweets about them soon, too.

I figured they were going to slam his hotel's decor or something.