News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on March 21, 2019, 03:09:41 PM
But the US can't recognize something that Israel itself doesn't claim.

Wanna bet?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

I would be interested to know what triggered this sudden interest in the Golan Heights.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on March 21, 2019, 03:09:41 PM
Very true.

But the US can't recognize something that Israel itself doesn't claim.

My impression was that Israel had de facto annexed it, but was holding off on formally doing so de jure because (1) that would never be recognized by the UN, and (2) in the hope of using the territory, or some part of it, as a bargaining chip to secure a comprehensive peace deal with Syria.

Not sure what the latest line from the Bibi government is, but would not be surprised if they now want to de jure annex it.

After all, there is now no hope of any sort of deal with Syria, and t isn't like Bibi has ever cared about what the UN had to say.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on March 21, 2019, 03:17:41 PM
I would be interested to know what triggered this sudden interest in the Golan Heights.

My money is on some nonsense on Fox and Friends in between some chimpanzee documentaries.

Caliga

He probably got a compliment from some random Jewish friend of his. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 21, 2019, 03:21:38 PM
Fox and Friends in between some chimpanzee documentaries.

How do you tell the difference?

Oh yeah - there's a lot less flinging shit around in the chimpanzee docs.

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/03/21/politics/trump-golan-heights-tweet/index.html

CNN says the Golan Heights were formally annexed in '81, but no one recognized it.

Quote[...]

Netanyahu quickly took to Twitter to thank Trump, tweeting: "At a time when Iran seeks to use Syria as a platform to destroy Israel, President Trump boldly recognizes Israeli sovereignty over the Golan Heights. Thank you President Trump! @realDonaldTrump."
In a short phone call between the two leaders, Netanyahu told Trump, "You made history," according to a readout of the call provided by the Prime Minister's Office.
It was not clear if the White House would release additional information or specifics about the move to recognize the Golan Heights as part of Israel beyond Trump's tweet.
Former US Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, who served under President Barack Obama, said the move "raises a lot of concern" and said it is difficult to not see this as an attempt to buttress Netanyahu's chances of remaining prime minister.
"It's hard not to put two and two together," Panetta said on CNN. "The President has made clear his support for Netanyahu."

[...]
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on March 21, 2019, 03:45:37 PM
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/03/21/politics/trump-golan-heights-tweet/index.html

CNN says the Golan Heights were formally annexed in '81, but no one recognized it.

Interesting - though they were offering to return the territory after that point.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on March 21, 2019, 04:04:09 PM
Quote from: Syt on March 21, 2019, 03:45:37 PM

Interesting - though they were offering to return the territory after that point.

Trump beating you on facts. Tsk Tsk Tsk

:P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Eddie Teach

One Canuck lawyer is as good as another.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Trump in a nutshell:

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-golf-club-hit-head-blamed-caddie-1370835?utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=NewsweekTwitter&utm_medium=Social&__twitter_impression=true

Quote"One time, after a bad drive, Trump slammed his driver back in his bag, as guys will do, and wasn't really watching what he was doing, and the driver ricocheted back and hit Trump in the head. 'A.J.?'Trump asked, pissed. 'Did you just hit me in the head with my own driver?'

'Sir, Mr. Trump, why would I do that?' A.J. said. 'You're my president!'
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Trump has imposed and lifted new sanctions on North Korea today.  I'm at a loss for words.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on March 22, 2019, 02:52:05 PM
Trump has imposed and lifted new sanctions on North Korea today.  I'm at a loss for words.

Wait what? Did he lift some sanctions and introduce new ones? Did he impose and lift the same sanctions in one day?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."