News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Well yes, I'd like it better. I'd like automatic voting registration so that any American citizen is automatically registered to vote and states can't take that away. I'd like computer generated congressional lines instead of gerrymandering. Those two things alone would make me feel a lot better about things. But the folks in charge aren't going to give up the opportunity to control those things. At least not right now. There's movement in that direction by several individual states, so there's hope.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

So much of what is "wrong" with the US system is a figment of our myth of sovereign states coming together.

That historical bit of structure goes a long way towards limiting how we can manage our country both economically and politically.

Hell, even if you concede that the idea of "states" is useful, the current allocation of what defines a state is completely non-sensical, and again, based 100% on historical factors that have little or no modern relevance.

What does upstate New York and New York City have in common politically, economically, or demographically such that it makes sense to include both in the same political body? Absolutely nothing that I can think of.

California makes no fucking sense as a political entity under the same standards that also includes the state of Vermont. What possible criteria could someone come up with that would result in two entities structurally so dis-similar, other than just history? Nothing.

The US is a pretty great country compared to most others, but that is mostly because the others have their own historical baggage to contend with as well - there is a real problem that we, meaning human societies, have yet to figure out how to make social, political, and economic advancement happen in a controlled, predictable manner. We simply have no idea how to implement new structures while maintaining the emotional faith in institutions that are necessary for rule of law and respect for those institutions. It seems like the only way we enact real structural political change is by radical violence and overthrow. There is little or no meaningful incremental change.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on December 02, 2016, 08:58:54 AM
No, but it feels like it's happening more now than ever. I know, logically, that's not the case. I know that our country has always done things this way. But the past few years - going back to Obama's second election - it's just felt different. I can't explain it, but there's a fear that never used to be there. I don't know if it's social media pushing things to the brink, the politicians themselves and who they are, or just that I'm getting older and more jaded about the system. But something has changed, and I don't particularly care for it.

Something has changed and the system is no longer adequate. But it is not because it is more oligarchic. It does need reform and it will be reformed. I get the sense we are headed to major changes in the next few decades.

No guarantee if the reforms will make it better though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Derspeiss was like one of those guys who joined the party right after '33.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Spicey is enjoying seeing his political enemies piss themselves in hysterics.

He will come around eventually.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Legbiter

QuoteBlue-haired woman sentenced to more than 100 days for scrawling anti-Trump graffiti on government buildings

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-trump-graffiti-20161201-story.html

:lol:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on December 02, 2016, 09:17:00 AM

Come around to what?

He hasn't moved anywhere, there isn't anywhere to come around TO.

He is exactly where he wants to be, and exactly where the alt-right wants to be...

0 rows returned

Valmy

In Los Angeles? Talk about graffitiing to the choir.

Eddie Teach

Or maybe Trump will surprise everyone.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on December 02, 2016, 09:13:33 AM
The US is a pretty great country compared to most others, but that is mostly because the others have their own historical baggage to contend with as well - there is a real problem that we, meaning human societies, have yet to figure out how to make social, political, and economic advancement happen in a controlled, predictable manner.

Maybe because we aren't machines? I don't understand what exactly would be desirable about controlled social/political/economic advancement. 

Quote from: Berkut on December 02, 2016, 09:13:33 AMWe simply have no idea how to implement new structures while maintaining the emotional faith in institutions that are necessary for rule of law and respect for those institutions. It seems like the only way we enact real structural political change is by radical violence and overthrow. There is little or no meaningful incremental change.

Maybe but I think that's a bit despairing. Certainly there has been incremental progress on many fronts, even in terms of government structures, during the course of US history.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on December 02, 2016, 09:19:34 AM
Come around to what?

He is exactly where he wants to be, and exactly where the alt-right wants to be...

Come around to the fact that this election was a disaster. He stated that Trump's election would be early on, but he also said he would enjoy it for a few months anyway.

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on December 02, 2016, 09:19:34 AM

Come around to what?

When do we get to throw out that term? Clearly the 'alt-right' is mainstream now and maps onto the position of the 'right'.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on December 02, 2016, 09:20:46 AM
The US is a pretty great country compared to most others, but that is mostly because the others have their own historical baggage to contend with as well - there is a real problem that we, meaning human societies, have yet to figure out how to make social, political, and economic advancement happen in a controlled, predictable manner.

Maybe because we aren't machines? I don't understand what exactly would be desirable about controlled social/political/economic advancement. 

Quote from: Berkut on December 02, 2016, 09:13:33 AMWe simply have no idea how to implement new structures while maintaining the emotional faith in institutions that are necessary for rule of law and respect for those institutions. It seems like the only way we enact real structural political change is by radical violence and overthrow. There is little or no meaningful incremental change.

Maybe but I think that's a bit despairing. Certainly there has been incremental progress on many fronts, even in terms of government structures, during the course of US history.

Not really. There has been very little progress in any kind of structural change, in fact.

It is a testament to the success of the founders that absent any structural change the country has done very well, because that structure was setup well to begin with...but for the most part we still operate under that same structure, with only very minor changes.

0 rows returned

mongers

California makes no fucking sense as a political entity under the same standards that also includes the state of Vermont. What possible criteria could someone come up with that would result in two entities structurally so dis-similar, other than just history? Nothing.

England - Scotland - Wales - Northern Ireland.*

History is a bugger isn't it.

* oh and for good measure we have some crown tax havens that make no sense in a political system, other than for greasing the wheels of corruption.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"