And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: dps on November 30, 2016, 12:36:09 PM
Quote from: Zanza on November 30, 2016, 12:10:36 PM
Why not a group of representative Americans from all walks of life?

Because no on in their right mind would want to have dinner with such a group.
:yes: They pay $100K for not having dinner with that group.

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on November 30, 2016, 05:42:38 PM
So, Trump got involved, Carrier still decided to send 1,000 jobs to Mexico, and Trump gets credit for "saving all those jobs?"
The jobs are safe, they're just somewhere else.

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on November 30, 2016, 08:56:41 PM
I couldn't fucking agree more.

Inauguration Day kind of reminds me of when they gave me my severance date from Shareholder Value, Inc.; it's the end, you know it's the end, complete and absolute--and there is not a fucking thing you can do about it.  :lol:

dps

Quote from: derspiess on November 30, 2016, 03:57:03 PM
So how about that Carrier thing?  #trumpeffect :P

I think we should double the size of our carrier fleet.  And build some new battleships, too.   :)

;)

jimmy olsen

Pretty much right.

http://nypost.com/2016/11/29/trump-makes-sense-once-you-realize-youre-watching-improv/

QuoteTrump makes sense once you realize you're watching improv

By John Podhoretz

At this rate, nearly everybody who follows politics or writes about politics or thinks about politics is soon either going to be curled up in a ball in the corner, or in a mental institution, or feeling as though at any moment he or she might be felled by a heart attack. Donald Trump is driving them — us — insane.

On Monday, Trump got mad at CNN's Jeff Zeleny and retweeted a 16-year-old's denunciation along with the words "bad reporter." On Tuesday, the president-elect declared on Twitter that people who burn the American flag should lose their citizenship or be sent to jail.

The responses to these 140-character spasms ranged from incredulousness to fear to anger to disbelief. The next president, calling out a reporter by name and quoting a teenager to do it? The next president, advocating the removal of citizenship from a native-born American? Why, even the late Nino Scalia said flag-burning was constitutional! Free speech is under attack! Fascism is upon us!

A debate has broken out in the press corps: Do we ignore Trump's tweets or do we go hard at them? Do we fact-check them? Is he using them to distract us from more serious problems?

By engaging with them are we just playing his game, or is it our responsibility to let the public know what the president-elect is thinking and feeling even as we try to inform the public that the issues are more complicated than he's making them seem?

It's not even December. Of 2016. Fellas, we have another 50-odd days before Trump is even sworn in.

Do some yoga. Meditate. Find your inner peace. We have a long way to go, and Donald Trump isn't going to change much. Why should he? He went from an escalator to the White House in 17 months.

One of the reasons everyone is being driven bonkers by the mysterious workings of the gilded palace high atop Trump Tower is that we are attempting to discern a plan, an organizing principle, a strategy in these tweets.

Such an effort is second nature to those of us who take politics seriously and have studied it for decades.

We assume politicians know their words are being carefully studied and that they issue those words with care so they aren't inadvertently misunderstood. We want to understand what our leaders are up to. We want to categorize their actions. We want to use that understanding to deepen our sense of where we are and where we're going.

But we're missing one profound thing about Trump, and we keep missing it, and we will continue to miss it: Trump is not a politician. He doesn't think of himself as a politician, and he doesn't act like a politician, and we're all desperately trying to fit him into our understanding of what he's supposed to be.

Trump himself told the New York Times last week that it was "about two years ago" that "I started thinking about politics." Every major elected official in our time, with the possible exception of the late-starting Ronald Reagan, has thought of nothing except politics most of his or her life. Until he was 68 years old, Trump only thought about politics as a sidelight, a diversion, something to dabble in, something to noodle about. He was first and foremost a businessman who became a showbiz sensation.

But what if there's no strategy? What if there's no organizing principle? What if Trump has no plan? That seems the likeliest interpretation of his tweeting and even the bizarre rigmarole surrounding his consideration of Mitt Romney to be secretary of state.

He improvised his way to the presidency, he's improvising his way through the transition and it's likely he'll continue to improvise as president.

We would like to grasp the outlines of a Trump foreign policy doctrine and to establish the contours of his approach on domestic matters. But the truth is there's precious little to grasp, and it's likely whatever contours there may be are as unclear to him as they are to us.

I don't find this analysis reassuring. But I think it's true. And if it is, then the way everyone is going about trying to understand this entirely new phenomenon in electoral politics and presidential leadership is hopelessly misguided and needs to change.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Phillip V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 30, 2016, 10:54:07 PM
Sarah Palin for Veteran Affairs, and why not.

Suck it, vets.  :P

Trump received very strong support from military veterans.  They shall get what they voted for.

CountDeMoney

QuoteThe Pakistani government released a readout of its call with Trump. It's magical.

http://www.vox.com/world/2016/11/30/13797178/donald-trump-call-nawaz-sharif

Prime Minister Muhammad Nawaz Sharif called President-elect USA Donald Trump and felicitated him on his victory. President Trump said Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif you have a very good reputation. You are a terrific guy. You are doing amazing work which is visible in every way. I am looking forward to see you soon. As I am talking to you Prime Minister, I feel I am talking to a person I have known for long. Your country is amazing with tremendous opportunities. Pakistanis are one of the most intelligent people. I am ready and willing to play any role that you want me to play to address and find solutions to the outstanding problems. It will be an honor and I will personally do it. Feel free to call me any time even before 20th January that is before I assume my office.

On being invited to visit Pakistan by the Prime Minister, Mr. Trump said that he would love to come to a fantastic country, fantastic place of fantastic people. Please convey to the Pakistani people that they are amazing and all Pakistanis I have known are exceptional people, said Mr. Donald Trump.

Yeah.

Legbiter

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 30, 2016, 10:48:20 PM
Pretty much right.

http://nypost.com/2016/11/29/trump-makes-sense-once-you-realize-youre-watching-improv/

One of the reasons everyone is being driven bonkers by the mysterious workings of the gilded palace high atop Trump Tower is that we are attempting to discern a plan, an organizing principle, a strategy in these tweets.

Such an effort is second nature to those of us who take politics seriously and have studied it for decades.

What an astute observation. At this rate the failed pundit class will have figured out what Languish knew back in August last year at around the time Trump finishes his second term.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: dps on November 30, 2016, 09:10:28 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 30, 2016, 03:57:03 PM
So how about that Carrier thing?  #trumpeffect :P

I think we should double the size of our carrier fleet.  And build some new battleships, too.   :)

;)

Battleships?
Like these?

https://s.pacn.ws/gallery/large/GA.04489.0001.jpg maybe NSFW for North American prudes.