Started by jimmy olsen, July 03, 2009, 09:58:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

GAAAAH!!! :bleeding: :x

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31706286/ns/today_pets/

QuotePoo brew: Premium coffee is dung to a turn
Expensive 'civet coffee' made from beans separated from critter's droppings

updated 10:40 a.m. ET, Thurs., July 2, 2009

Okay, let's get this straight. You take some coffee beans, feed them to a wild, weasel-like mammal, and wait for the beans to get digested and, um, drop? Then you take those beans and turn them into the world's most desired and expensive coffee?

That, indeed, is how something called Kopi Luwak — or civet coffee — is made. First, ripe beans are ingested by a civet, a creature indigenous to Africa and Asia that looks like a cat on steroids. Then, workers go through the civet's droppings and separate the chalky beans (at least we now know the world's worst job). The beans are dried, sterilized and processed into civet coffee, which, apparently, has a magically intense aroma and flavor.

In Europe, roughly 2 lbs. of Kopi Luwak sells for as much as $700 — if, that is, you can find it. A typical civet produces only about an ounce of the stuff a day, so it's unlikely you'll be ordering a decaf dung espresso at Starbucks anytime soon.

Still, if you're a coffee drinker and you have an adventurous streak, you might just savor the idea of having a java brew with such a, ahem, close connection to the wild.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Zanza

Brazen

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 03, 2009, 09:58:54 AM
GAAAAH!!! :bleeding: :x

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31706286/ns/today_pets/

QuotePoo brew: Premium coffee is dung to a turn
Expensive 'civet coffee' made from beans separated from critter's droppings

updated 10:40 a.m. ET, Thurs., July 2, 2009

Okay, let's get this straight. You take some coffee beans, feed them to a wild, weasel-like mammal, and wait for the beans to get digested and, um, drop? Then you take those beans and turn them into the world's most desired and expensive coffee?

That, indeed, is how something called Kopi Luwak — or civet coffee — is made. First, ripe beans are ingested by a civet, a creature indigenous to Africa and Asia that looks like a cat on steroids. Then, workers go through the civet's droppings and separate the chalky beans (at least we now know the world's worst job). The beans are dried, sterilized and processed into civet coffee, which, apparently, has a magically intense aroma and flavor.

In Europe, roughly 2 lbs. of Kopi Luwak sells for as much as $700 — if, that is, you can find it. A typical civet produces only about an ounce of the stuff a day, so it's unlikely you'll be ordering a decaf dung espresso at Starbucks anytime soon.

Still, if you're a coffee drinker and you have an adventurous streak, you might just savor the idea of having a java brew with such a, ahem, close connection to the wild.

Pfft, been able to buy that here since 2006.
http://www.firebox.com/product/1077/Civet-Coffee-Kopi-Luwak

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DisturbedPervert

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Shocking that the Germans didn't think this up first.

Karl: What vill we do?
Gunther: Hey! We make the cat eat these beans, then go through its shit.
Karl: Wunderbar!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Really?  You're just hearing about this now?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Neil on July 03, 2009, 10:53:17 AM
Really?  You're just hearing about this now?

It doesn't involve space or Tom Brady, so Tim is behind the curve.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Phillip V

There could very well be a market for coffee beans processed through the human gastrointestinal tract.

Entrepreneurs to me!

Grey Fox

I wouldn't try it.

Nothing to do with the scat part, Coffee just sucks.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

I'm sure I've seen this story before on Languish.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points