News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Moving to Georgia today.

Started by Queequeg, September 16, 2016, 04:02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Don't get into fiddling contests with local boys.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Maladict

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: Queequeg on September 16, 2016, 08:05:14 PM
Done.

Have any tips?

Cool. Sent. Since you've lived in Armenia, the culture shouldn't be too hard to navigate. However, I think supras are unique to Georgia. If you find yourself at a very long one (especially all-male one where you're toasting with chacha instead of wine) and you don't have a very high alcohol tolerance, it might make sense to occasionally excuse yourself to purge. I'm serious. The alternative is blacking out followed by a horrible morning.

Other than that, I think Dive Bar in Tbilisi still exists. One of my friends--Cory--owns it. Fun guy. Batumi is great, too; make sure to visit the Hopa Bazaar.  If you're near the coast, the beaches at Gonio and Magnetiti are good. You're probably aware of the historical sites, but I'd really recommend Uplistsikhe. When you go to the Stalin Museum, pay for the full tour--it's worth it.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

CountDeMoney

Tonitrus

Phillip V

Quote from: Queequeg on September 16, 2016, 04:02:03 PM
You can gues which one.

Spending a year there.  Teaching English.   Going to apply to PhD programs.  Wish me luck.

Good.  We need to spread English all over the world.

dps

Quote from: Phillip V on September 18, 2016, 11:28:49 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on September 16, 2016, 04:02:03 PM
You can gues which one.

Spending a year there.  Teaching English.   Going to apply to PhD programs.  Wish me luck.

Good.  We need to spread English all over the world.

Yeah, but whatever he does in Georgia, it won't undo the damage Timmay is doing in Korea.

Archy

Habbaku

Atlanta is nice.  Traffic sucks.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Grinning_Colossus

From u/nberidze on r/sakartvelo:

Visitors to Georgia who will be doing some driving therefore need to learn the unofficial rules; the de facto rules. Here is a primer on the most important ones, the ones you must know to have a minimum of safety.

1) Road traffic does not follow marked lanes. Lateral space is regulated on a "first come, first serve" basis. Cars will therefore hover between lanes, waiting to see which way to go depending on from where other cars are coming. Learn to understand this negotiation, and you will be safer.
2) It is not required to use a turn signal to move sideways, either while on a multi-lane highway, or when overtaking another car. Take into account that other drivers will not signal before moving sideways.
3) Because of the negotiated use of lateral space (see 1), if you pass another car, signal first with your lights or your horn, in order to make the driver in front of you aware that you are about to pass him/her. This is your responsibility, as opposed to European/American rules, where the driver moving sideways has the responsibility to signal.
4) On the highway, and in parts of the city, driving is a competition for honor and standing in the community, and taking more risks increases your respect among other people. If you are a man, you are more vashkatsi if you pass a red light or survive dangerous chances. It proves you are a better driver and not afraid (brave). Be aware that this is a factor in the minds of many of the drivers around you.
5) Taxi and minibus drivers have a right to suddenly stop in the middle of the street, or in a junction, to block other traffic for some time, as it is their business to tend to customers. Be aware of the taxi signs on top of some cars, and the yellow minibuses, as they have special rights to block traffic.
6) A vehicle can be driven in any technical condition. Some cars will not have brake lights, or there may be fumes coming out of the engine, or parts of the car's front or back will be missing from a crash, which may indicate that it has a technical malfunction. Be aware that not all vehicles are able to respond to situations as you might expect and perhaps have weak brakes or other problems.
7) It is not recommended using headlights during the day. If you do, some drivers will signal to you to turn off your lights and not disturb other drivers. At night, some vehicles may have just one headlight, or be completely dark (see 6). Take it into account.
8) Pedestrians have a right to cross any street at any point, but the crossing is subject to a negotiation between pedestrian and drivers, and the former must walk slowly to allow the drivers to notice them. It is not necessary to cross the street only at the zebra crossing, in fact it is discouraged to do so (see 4).

Josquius

Are you doing this Georgian version of the Jet Program I've read about? (government ran scheme to get people to come over and teach Ingrish).

....can I visit? :p
██████
██████
██████

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: Tyr on September 20, 2016, 11:47:44 AM
Are you doing this Georgian version of the Jet Program I've read about? (government ran scheme to get people to come over and teach Ingrish).

That's exactly what it is, except modeled more on the Peace Corps than JET, since Georgia needs to do things on the cheap. TLGs are put with host families and given a more or less subsistence wage. Proponents say they get more of an immersive cultural experience that way--which is true, for better or worse.

KRonn

Good luck!

Have fun storming the castle!   :bowler:

Queequeg

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on September 20, 2016, 11:53:20 AM
Quote from: Tyr on September 20, 2016, 11:47:44 AM

That's exactly what it is, except modeled more on the Peace Corps than JET, since Georgia needs to do things on the cheap. TLGs are put with host families and given a more or less substance wage. Proponents say they get more of an immersive cultural experience that way--which is true, for better or worse.

Substance is insanely cheap.

I mean. Almost perversely cheap.  I'm in Ozurgeti, Guria and I just got lunch for 2 dollars between lessons.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

jimmy olsen

Good luck!

I hope you manage to get your students into national English tournaments like I have!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point