News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

"Goof" word origin

Started by Martinus, September 05, 2016, 02:54:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

In ordinary English "goof" can mean a silly or goofy person - but in prison slang it means a pedophile or a rapist inmate, the lowest of the low. I was wondering what the origin of the latter is.

One, rather unusual origin I thought of was that in Hebrew / Judaism, "guph" (pronounced "goof") means the physical, soulless part of human body, essentially a "meat bag". Could it be the origin?

Josquius

The incident with goofy at Disneyland
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grinning_Colossus

Here's what wiktionary has to say:
QuotePerhaps from dialectal English goff ‎("foolish clown"), from earlier goffe, further etymology uncertain.

Perhaps from Middle English goffen ‎("to speak in a frivolous manner"), possibly from Old English gaf, ġegaf ‎("base; wanton; lewd", adj), Old English ġegaf ‎("buffoonery; scurrility", noun), gaffetung, golfettung ‎("buffoonery; mockery"). Compare English dialectal gauffin ‎("lightheaded; foolish; giddy"), Scots gaff, gawf ‎("to talk loudly; babble"), Scots gaffaw ‎("a loud laugh").

Alternatively, perhaps from Middle French goffe ‎("awkward; stupid"). Compare also Spanish gofo, Italian goffo, Ancient Greek γόμφος ‎(gómphos).

Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on September 05, 2016, 02:54:51 AM
In ordinary English "goof" can mean a silly or goofy person - but in prison slang it means a pedophile or a rapist inmate, the lowest of the low.

Which prison?

Barrister

I thought we established that "goof" being prison slang was a Canadian thing?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Gups

Never heard it used in that context. In British prisons, paedo convicts are nonces. Or they used to be anyway.

Barrister

I became aware of this use of goof back when Mrs b was working in a prison.  It really is a thing - you call someone a goof you're just begging for a fight.

I brought it up on Languish years ago and it seemed like it was only a term in Canadian jails.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Gups on September 05, 2016, 10:21:09 AM
Never heard it used in that context. In British prisons, paedo convicts are nonces. Or they used to be anyway.

In US prisons, I believe convicted pedophiles are referred to as "pedophiles."  Maybe the catchy colloquialism, "kiddie fuckers."

Marti must be looking for a new alt-right insult meme to use.  "kind and sensitive person" is soooo May 2016, you know.

Gups

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 05, 2016, 10:47:43 AM
Quote from: Gups on September 05, 2016, 10:21:09 AM

In US prisons, I believe convicted pedophiles are referred to as "pedophiles."  Maybe the catchy colloquialism, "kiddie fuckers."

You send foot fetishists to prison? Bit harsh but I suppose it keeps Marty out of the country. So there's that.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Gups on September 05, 2016, 10:59:04 AM
You send foot fetishists to prison? Bit harsh but I suppose it keeps Marty out of the country. So there's that.

Oh, that's right, I forgot: you're a commonweal. Paedoephaeles.  Faeoteuoesuses. 

Thanks!

dps

Quote from: Barrister on September 05, 2016, 10:26:58 AM
I became aware of this use of goof back when Mrs b was working in a prison.  It really is a thing - you call someone a goof you're just begging for a fight.

I brought it up on Languish years ago and it seemed like it was only a term in Canadian jails.

I don't remember that being discussed.  At any rate, I wouldn't know;  I've never been in prison in Canada.  Or the US, for that matter.

Jacob

I remember it being discussed, in part because it's something I already knew - having witnessed a handful of over the top bar fights being fought over the usage.

That said, I'm not surprised no one else remembers because outside of people hanging out with Western Canadian less than law abiding citizens, who cares?

Josquius

Oh Canada.
In America it's "you god damn mother f'ing n@$#a ass homo bitch"
In Canada it's "silly goose. You're such a goof"
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on September 07, 2016, 04:57:52 AM

Oh Canada.
In America it's "you god damn mother f'ing n@$#a ass homo bitch"
In Canada it's "silly goose. You're such a goof"

Thanks for the first-person perspective on the issue.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!