News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Help Brazen plan a trip to New York

Started by Brazen, August 30, 2016, 05:35:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Barrister on August 30, 2016, 12:06:21 PM
Oh another thing I insisted on doing in NYC - I bought a fake rolex from guy on a street corner for $10. :D

The prosecutor (technically) committed a US federal crime? :o
Experience bij!

The Larch

Chinatown is, IMO, skippable. Little Italy is barely a couple of streets at this point in history.

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on August 30, 2016, 12:11:51 PM
Chinatown is, IMO, skippable. Little Italy is barely a couple of streets at this point in history.

I think it was basically Korean or something now even if they still have touristy stuff. I think there are still Italian-American neighborhoods but not on Manhattan anymore.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tonitrus

Quote from: Barrister on August 30, 2016, 12:06:21 PM
Oh another thing I insisted on doing in NYC - I bought a fake rolex from guy on a street corner for $10. :D

Has it held up?  :P

Gups

Quote from: Barrister on August 30, 2016, 12:05:14 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 30, 2016, 12:02:18 PM
Very lame thing to do as well. ^_^

He's in The Business.

In London I insisted on visiting the Royal Court of Justice, and got my picture taken outside the Old Bailey.  It was very lame and nerdy to most people, but it was important to me.

You should have given me a shout. Would have given you a tour and shown you around some of the Inns of Court as well.

I once had a hearing in the RCJ on a really technical and dry subject (about costs liability). It was summer and we were the only hearing in progress. All day, we had groups of tourists coming into the public gallery, concentrating hard for a bit and giving up after 20 minutes.

Barrister

Quote from: Gups on August 30, 2016, 12:14:25 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 30, 2016, 12:05:14 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 30, 2016, 12:02:18 PM
Very lame thing to do as well. ^_^

He's in The Business.

In London I insisted on visiting the Royal Court of Justice, and got my picture taken outside the Old Bailey.  It was very lame and nerdy to most people, but it was important to me.

You should have given me a shout. Would have given you a tour and shown you around some of the Inns of Court as well.

I once had a hearing in the RCJ on a really technical and dry subject (about costs liability). It was summer and we were the only hearing in progress. All day, we had groups of tourists coming into the public gallery, concentrating hard for a bit and giving up after 20 minutes.

:( that would've been cool.

Being summer, there wasn't a whole hell of a lot going on.  I did sit in on the tail end of a criminal appeal which was mildly amusing as I realized that if you took away the showey courtroom and the wigs it really was no different that a Canadian courtroom.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on August 30, 2016, 12:13:27 PM
Quote from: The Larch on August 30, 2016, 12:11:51 PM

I think it was basically Korean or something now even if they still have touristy stuff. I think there are still Italian-American neighborhoods but not on Manhattan anymore.

IIRC it was Chinatown that grew and basically swallowed Little Italy, which is reduced to Mulberry street and its surrounding area nowadays, although there are still some very good Italian restaurants and pizza places around there. There are indeed other Little Italies around NY, in other buroughs, but in Manhattan there aren't many Italian areas anymore AFAIK.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on August 30, 2016, 11:43:00 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 30, 2016, 11:41:26 AM
Oh, I forgot that there are people who get all excited about tacky coloured lights and would prefer that to ease of travel/comfort in standing outdoors. <_<

:o

Garbo's going for the pretentiousness hat trick--Stanford, gay NYC dweller, and now: English.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 30, 2016, 12:22:18 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 30, 2016, 11:43:00 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 30, 2016, 11:41:26 AM
Oh, I forgot that there are people who get all excited about tacky coloured lights and would prefer that to ease of travel/comfort in standing outdoors. <_<

:o

Garbo's going for the pretentiousness hat trick--Stanford, gay NYC dweller, and now: English.

That would be taking up French, not failing to context shift vocabulary.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Stop your War on Christmas decorations. :mad:

Admiral Yi

How long is the subway ride from Midtown to Williamsburg?  Coney Island?

My favorite spot in Central Park is the Yacht Club.  Is that what it's called?  The little pond with the little radio controlled sailing ships.

garbon

Long to coney island. Not bad to Williamsburg until they take the L offline.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 30, 2016, 12:51:22 PM
Stop your War on Christmas decorations. :mad:

I don't care what you do with your body. Just don't try to make me excited about it.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Brazen on August 30, 2016, 09:40:51 AM
Anyway, if and when I do manage to make it over, the least you Septics* could do is arrange a Languish NY meet in my honour. We've had Euro meets with members from at least half a dozen countries!

*ask a Londoner
Depending on when it is, I might be able to make the jaunt down from Utica.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

The Minsky Moment

September is a good time.  Always plenty to do anytime.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson