News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Help Brazen plan a trip to New York

Started by Brazen, August 30, 2016, 05:35:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

In a couple of weeks I turn 49 (or forty-fucking-nine as it's correctly pronounced). Which means next September is a big one. Since I first saw it on television as a child, I have always wanted to visit New York, and that's been confirmed as the years have gone on by awesome reports from friends who've been there, so I'm considering a trip there.

While I'd like to do it in style, my budget is limited, so I'd rather do a shorter trip with a better hotel and itinerary than stay longer, and I'd like to get the basics right.

So I ask Languish is September a good time to go, what airport should I fly into, what district should I stay in, how do I get about, ideally by public transport but taxi where necessary, and most importantly what are the must-visit attractions and places to eat and drink? And where I can use my aphrodisiac accent to best effect.

Martinus

I can't offer much other than encouragement - I will also listen to the advice as New York is one of my dream destinations too. :)

The Larch

Quote from: Brazen on August 30, 2016, 05:35:57 AM
In a couple of weeks I turn 49 (or forty-fucking-nine as it's correctly pronounced). Which means next September is a big one. Since I first saw it on television as a child, I have always wanted to visit New York, and that's been confirmed as the years have gone on by awesome reports from friends who've been there, so I'm considering a trip there.

While I'd like to do it in style, my budget is limited, so I'd rather do a shorter trip with a better hotel and itinerary than stay longer, and I'd like to get the basics right.

So I ask Languish is September a good time to go, what airport should I fly into, what district should I stay in, how do I get about, ideally by public transport but taxi where necessary, and most importantly what are the must-visit attractions and places to eat and drink? And where I can use my aphrodisiac accent to best effect.

For many of those things celedhring is your man.  ;)

I was there back in...2010 I think, visiting him while he was living there, and loved it. How long are you planning to go? One week is the bare minimum, I'd say.

Caliga

:hmm: I would think your only airport options are JFK and Newark.  I don't think transatlantic flights go in to LaGuardia.  I think Newark is probably closer to Manhattan than JFK, and I presume Manhattan is primarily where you want to go, yes?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Meh, September you still have the summer urine stink in the air, and the trade winds carry the Staten Island landfill aromas.  It really doesn't dissipate until it gets crisp out, like mid- to late October.

You should really see Manhattan at Christmas, though.

garbon

JFK is best airport. Both Newark and JFK have decent public transport into city. Newark might be a tad bit more pricey but can't recall exactly.

September is good time as not too cold and not too hot. Subway should be your main route, though make sure you have an app or guide of it with you at all times to make heads/tales of it.

People tend to stay in midtown as that's in the middle of Manhattan so closest to all attractions (even if not close to Met better than if you stayed near there on UES and then far away from all that is downtown).

I know there's a fairly decent price for value holiday inn around 34th and 8th that my mother stayed at.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Also, I guess you could head south and hang out with my parents.  Helpful tip:  Do NOT say anything bad about Italy, Italians, or Italian-Americans down there.

lustindarkness

When in September would this be? Need to pencil this in the calendar.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 30, 2016, 06:59:36 AM
You should really see Manhattan at Christmas, though.

I don't see why. Snow gets dirt black fast and you are more liable to slip on black ice.

I'd say you probably want a week with both weekends. Highline, Metropolitan Museum of Art (New York rival to British Museum), Natural History Museum (both of the latter pay as you wish), Central Park, Freedom Tower. MoMa is alright though best to got on free night (though will be packed). DUMBO is nice for a walk around waterfront (as is Hudson River Park in the Battery Park City to Chelsea stretch but then you have to look at New Jersey). Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty tour. Best brunch is West Village/Meatpacking - with Brunch meaning drinking/eating at 1 in the afternoon on weekends.

Williamsburg for a transatlantic Shoreditch vibe. Pretty good eats (which can be affordable if you look around right) in Hell's Kitchen and East Village. Decent ones too in West Village/Meatpacking but then you start picking up price a bit can be affordable if you look around right).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Rosa Mexicano will get you fairly decent Mexican (as compared to Wahaca...). Murray's Bagels for a bagel fix. Don't be afraid of $1 pizza. Won't be the best but not actually all that dreadful. Artichoke Basille's is probably my favorite pizza wise.  Tappo has a really great happy hour deal (I think happy hour starts like 3:30-4) where if you get a large pizza (thin crust mind you so not all that much) you can get it with a bottle of wine for $20. Or at least they did when I worked nearby. :blush:

I guess a meal at rude Carnegie Deli is de rigeur.

If you want sweet fix, hit up one of the many Magnolia locations.

El Rio Grande in Murray Hill also has decent Mexican food. Really draw for it though is the margaritas. I had a few friends who used to refer to them as roofie margaritas.

mongers

Quote from: Brazen on August 30, 2016, 05:35:57 AM
In a couple of weeks I turn 49 ....

Look out for Seinfeld, he may still live there.  :bowler:

Soup is always an option.   :bowler:

On a tech note, I've always wanted to visit Tom's Restaurant, 'inspiration' for the song that gave birth to the MP3, sort of.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Caliga

Quote from: mongers on August 30, 2016, 07:47:03 AM
Soup is always an option.   :bowler:
I think the original Soup Nazi place is closed but there may be other ones left still (after the fame from Seinfeld, the Soup Nazi turned his place into a full-fledged chain).

Berkut

Rochester is very close to NYC relative to London!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Gups

Food wise, what I recall from my sole visit to NY 15 years ago is that the portion sizes were massive. I particularly remember a salt beef sandwich which was so thick I had to deconstruct it in order to eat it.

I liked Central Park, the NH museum, MOMA particularly.

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on August 30, 2016, 09:13:11 AM
Rochester is very close to NYC relative to London!

If only she was going to Buffalo.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."