News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

300k$ houses accross Canada

Started by viper37, August 09, 2016, 11:56:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Link

They checked major cites of Quebec&Canada to see what kind of house you could buy for 300k$.
In Montreal you need to get out of the city centre to find something for this price, and in Toronto, you need to travel 40km from city centre before you find something of this price.

In Vancouver there was nothing, so they ended up in Mission, 60km away to find something at that price.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Monoriu

Believe me, it is a lot worse in Hong Kong. 

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Canada just doesn't have enough land it seems.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on August 10, 2016, 01:21:21 AM
Believe me, it is a lot worse in Hong Kong. 
yeah, you get an handbag for that price in HK :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

LaCroix

hopefully, in a hundred years people will have stopped caring so much about owning houses

garbon

Quote from: LaCroix on August 10, 2016, 05:33:20 PM
hopefully, in a hundred years people will have stopped caring so much about owning houses

???
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Yeah I disagree with that. Part of housing is to get a home but another large part of it is to get an asset that will most likely increase in value and that you can then use when you're in old age - incidentally this is a bit of our housing crisis that worries me is the sheer cost of a large increase in the number of elderly people who are renting.
Let's bomb Russia!

schaksen

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 11, 2016, 04:33:38 AM
Yeah I disagree with that. Part of housing is to get a home but another large part of it is to get an asset that will most likely increase in value and that you can then use when you're in old age - incidentally this is a bit of our housing crisis that worries me is the sheer cost of a large increase in the number of elderly people who are renting.
But old folks holding on to realestate is also part of pushing up prices in major cities (my view may be skeved by living in a part of Copenhagen renowned for housing a large part of wealthy retirees ).
Formerly known as Gumby, this was/is my pdx nick

garbon

Quote from: schaksen on August 11, 2016, 05:46:10 AM
But old folks holding on to realestate is also part of pushing up prices in major cities (my view may be skeved by living in a part of Copenhagen renowned for housing a large part of wealthy retirees ).

Is that actually a large cause of problems though? I would think most major cities (at least US and London) probably tend more towards youth and old age, no? Did a quick look and in 2014 Timeout had an article that median age in London has been decreasing over time (and is lower than UK median).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Phillip V

That belief in "making a profit" is what continually burns people in housing as well as hurts people professionally as they cannot relocate easily for better jobs.

Old people "aging in place" is also a negative as cost of living increases (taxes, utilities, maintenance) while income decreases, and it is much harder emotionally and physically (not to mention market timing) to leave behind an old home.

Grey Fox

I disagree with all of it. Paying someone's else mortgage is not something one should want to do.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.