News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fort Worth

Started by Savonarola, August 05, 2016, 03:37:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

I'll be in Fort Worth, TX (:alberta:) from August 28 - September 2.  Is there anything that's a must see in Fort Worth?  Does anyone here live in the area (and would be up for an IRL meeting)?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Hamilcar

DFW is a very large airport with an assortment of shops and restaurants.

MadImmortalMan

My dad lives there. Maybe take the old-fashioned train to Grapevine and back. Call it professional research. Eat Mexican food. I can get some recommendations if you want. Hell, I might be in town then.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Savonarola

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 05, 2016, 03:39:38 PM
My dad lives there. Maybe take the old-fashioned train to Grapevine and back. Call it professional research. Eat Mexican food. I can get some recommendations if you want. Hell, I might be in town then.

Yeah, I'd definitely like recommendations for restaurants.  Last time I was in the greater Dallas area the locals kept recommending chain breastaurants.  (While I'm not denying they have an appeal, I'd rather go somewhere else.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

mongers

Quote from: Hamilcar on August 05, 2016, 03:38:19 PM

Doesn't that describe much of the developed world?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Seems to me DFW is exactly the place you would want to go to an over the top titteraunt.  When in Rome.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

MadImmortalMan

MadImmortalMan

Sav: Is this for BNSF?

MadImmortalMan

My dad says:

Del Frisco
Reata
Texas de Brazil

Shady Oak for BBQ. Which is near BNSF if that's where you're going.

Savonarola

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 05, 2016, 05:07:37 PM
Sav: Is this for BNSF?

Yes, I'll be at BNSF headquarters for a third party vendor training.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

I'm not all that familiar with the Ft. Worth side of the Metroplex.  What's is a decent choice, but Hard Eight just north of the airport is better.  There are some interesting places near the Will Rogers Auditorium and the museums.  I will have more input when I get home.  Put me down for the meetup, though.

garbon

Quote from: mongers on August 05, 2016, 04:07:45 PM
Quote from: Hamilcar on August 05, 2016, 03:38:19 PM

Doesn't that describe much of the developed world?

No? Most of the world is not a very large airport.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Savonarola on August 05, 2016, 05:19:15 PM

Yes, I'll be at BNSF headquarters for a third party vendor training.

My dad's wife...my mom-in-law...whatever you want to call it, works there. She's pretty great TBH.

Valmy

Damn I am going to be there just a few days after you leave.  :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."