News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Actor Anton Yelchin died

Started by Solmyr, June 19, 2016, 01:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

At the moment it feels like the UK failed to apply the parking brake properly.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

LaCroix

Quote from: 11B4V on June 24, 2016, 06:57:47 PMDo you know which way to turn the tires when parking up or down hill?

Do you use the parking brake when on a hill?

no hills where I grew up. just flat prairie for as far as the eye can see

Solmyr

garbon

Quote from: dps on June 24, 2016, 09:47:56 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 24, 2016, 07:58:04 PM
I've only ever used the emergency break when parking on a noticeable incline.

You should definitely use it when changing a flat.

Why would a person need to do that themselves?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: garbon on June 25, 2016, 11:30:03 AM

So you don't have to wait for help. 

11B4V

Why would l d you not?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

LaCroix

no desire to learn + willingness to pay = no need to do it yourself

dps

Quote from: LaCroix on June 25, 2016, 11:17:34 PM
no desire to learn + willingness to pay = no need to do it yourself

It's not about the money.  It's about wasting your time waiting for help to show up.  When you get a flat, (or any kind of car trouble, really) it's almost always at a place and time that help is going to take a while to show up, and usually it's in a place you don't want to wait any longer than absolutely necessary.

To be honest, though,it's not something that you actually need to learn ahead of time.  Nobody ever showed me how to change a flat, but the first time I had one, it took about 30 seconds of skimming the owner's manual to figure it out.

DGuller

I'm sure I'd be able to figure it out if I had no choice, but doing it otherwise seems like a classic false economy.  I can fuck something up from inexperience, I can get hit by traffic, I can hurt myself by not jacking up the car properly.  I don't really see the point of doing it yourself if you can afford to have someone else do it for you.

MadBurgerMaker

The last time I got a flat I had to call a truck to take my car to a parking lot so I (we, actually, dude stuck around and helped, which was nice) could cahnge the tire without getting smoked by traffic.  The tire went just as I was going from one highway to another, and I ended up having to stop on the ramp.  The shoulder on the I-37 to I-35 onramp is really fucking narrow.  When dude pulled up in the truck, he blocked a little of the lane so I could open my door without dying.  Good times.

The tires on that A4 really hoovered up everything on the road.  I've never had any other tires need to be patched or replaced so much. 

LaCroix

Quote from: dps on June 25, 2016, 11:46:15 PMIt's not about the money.  It's about wasting your time waiting for help to show up.  When you get a flat, (or any kind of car trouble, really) it's almost always at a place and time that help is going to take a while to show up, and usually it's in a place you don't want to wait any longer than absolutely necessary.

risk vs reward. I'm OK wasting an hour or three of it ever does happen. for those who find satisfaction learning about cars and doing their own fixes, great! but not everyone does

garbon

Quote from: 11B4V on June 25, 2016, 11:03:24 PM

Why would l d you not?

AAA is pretty cheap.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

Quote from: garbon on June 26, 2016, 02:53:15 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on June 25, 2016, 11:03:24 PM

Why would l d you not?

AAA is pretty cheap.

Yes I have AAA.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".