News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Would you want a self driving car?

Started by Savonarola, April 27, 2016, 12:54:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Assuming that you could afford one, and the technology was mature, would you want a self driving car?

Yes
28 (73.7%)
No
10 (26.3%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Savonarola

Quote from: Zanza on April 28, 2016, 12:00:46 PM
Trains seem to be fairly easy to automate completely. There is much less variance than in road traffic. If the train encounters an unclear situation or signal loss, just stop it and let a remote controller take over.

Yes, that is true.  The problem is that trains can't be just as safe as cars; they have to be much, much safer.  In the United States over 30,000 people died in automobile accidents; people are willing to risk death when they drive a car.  A train wreck, even if there are no fatalities, is national news.  People aren't willing to risk injury when they ride the train.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Habbaku

Quote from: Tamas on April 28, 2016, 01:55:01 AM
Your car driving you home when you are drunk. Enough said.

I love driving, it actually relaxes me, but I am also not an insecure male, so I wouldn't feel like my dick gets chopped off if I have a software as my chauffeur.

:)
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Yeah, a train seems like a much narrower problems space with radically greater amounts of control.

Planes are even more complex than cars, but have the advantage of a much more rigorous environment to operate in as far as controls on other aircraft.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on April 28, 2016, 03:00:01 PM
Planes are even more complex than cars, but have the advantage of a much more rigorous environment to operate in as far as controls on other aircraft.
They also have a much simpler environment to navigate.

HisMajestyBOB

No need for a self-driving car, I commute by public transportation.  :)
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

dps

Quote from: Zanza on April 28, 2016, 06:52:17 AM
Just put a sensor on the rear doors and inform law enforcement when the sensor is tampered with..

No reason I can see that you couldn't do that with the trailer of a big rig today.  No need to wait for self-driving cars.

Barrister

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on April 28, 2016, 03:28:18 PM
No need for a self-driving car, I commute by public transportation.  :)

I'm a mostly happy public transit user, but other than getting to and from work it isn't practical in most cities to rely only on public transit.  I still need to be able to buy groceries and other large / bulky items and transport them to my home, I may need to get to areas that aren't well covered by public transit, or on evenings / weekends when public transit runs rarely.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on April 28, 2016, 03:55:59 PM
  I still need to be able to buy groceries and other large / bulky items

OK katmai.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.