Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven may be partly stolen, judge says

Started by viper37, April 12, 2016, 10:45:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Link

Led Zeppelin's lead singer Robert Plant and guitarist Jimmy Page must face a US jury trial over whether they stole opening chords for their 1971 classic Stairway to Heaven.

Read more       In a decision on Friday, US district judge Gary Klausner in Los Angeles said the song and the 1967 instrumental Taurus by the band Spirit were similar enough to let a jury decide whether Plant and Page were liable for copyright infringement.
A trial is scheduled for 10 May.
The lawsuit was brought by Michael Skidmore, a trustee for the late Randy Wolfe, also known as Randy California, who was Spirit's guitarist and the composer of Taurus.

While it may be true, I'm always a little suspicious of such claims when made so long after the initial release of the song.  I mean, is there someone in the music industry that never heard the song until very recently?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

I wonder if anybody in 1971 was suing over a song made in 1926.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on April 12, 2016, 11:04:58 AM
I wonder if anybody in 1971 was suing over a song made in 1926.

Probably not; but then, I suspect no songs made in 1926 made a metric fuckton dollars(1).  ;)

(1) Number is approximate. It may have made two or three metric fucktons of dollars.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius