Harvard Law School scraps official crest in slavery row

Started by garbon, March 04, 2016, 07:18:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

The Brain

I understand why Pinceton wanted to distance himself.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on March 05, 2016, 05:43:28 AM
Quote from: Martinus on March 05, 2016, 05:09:55 AM
And people wonder why Trump gets votes.

Because if a naming policy at Harvard?

Because this is showing up on their Facebook and Twitter feeds as example no. 323228869 of the progressive liberal agenda gone mad. And while this is certainly a tunnel-vision-like impression that does not take into account the big picture, it is definitely a true one. Race- and gender-baiting going on in the media and the places of learning in the West right now are pushing more and more people into the open arms of extreme right.

Martinus

Incidentally, the outrage over this does not come from the fact that a bunch of cretins made a petition like that. It comes from the fact that there was apparently no adult at Harvard with adequate decision power and balls to come out and say to the protester "Look, you are a moron. Those titles have nothing to do with slavery. If you are too stupid to understand this, Harvard is not a place for you. You have 24 hours to pack up and leave the campus."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on March 05, 2016, 05:57:08 AM
Incidentally, the outrage over this does not come from the fact that a bunch of cretins made a petition like that. It comes from the fact that there was apparently no adult at Harvard with adequate decision power and balls to come out and say to the protester "Look, you are a moron. Those titles have nothing to do with slavery. If you are too stupid to understand this, Harvard is not a place for you. You have 24 hours to pack up and leave the campus."

This I agree with. College student will always act silly and it is up to universities to keep them in line. When I was at Stanford, everyone was up in arms that Rumsfeld was coming to campus. University false flagged it and got all the student protesters to show up to a location where Rumsfeld wasn't having his meeting. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on March 05, 2016, 05:49:58 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 05, 2016, 05:43:28 AM
Quote from: Martinus on March 05, 2016, 05:09:55 AM
And people wonder why Trump gets votes.

Because if a naming policy at Harvard?

Because this is showing up on their Facebook and Twitter feeds as example no. 323228869 of the progressive liberal agenda gone mad. And while this is certainly a tunnel-vision-like impression that does not take into account the big picture, it is definitely a true one. Race- and gender-baiting going on in the media and the places of learning in the West right now are pushing more and more people into the open arms of extreme right.

I think you have to be an immature child if something like this pushes you into the arms of the extreme right. This basically has no impact on anyone's lives however distasteful it might be.

Josquius

We need to put more effort into educating kids about the problems in the world
Then they can direct their rage against those rather than bullshit like this
██████
██████
██████

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Norgy

This has to be one of the best cases against militant political correctness.

Don't get me wrong, I am one of those PC brigade morons myself, but even I have limits.

Grinning_Colossus

The BBC jumped the gun a little bit. The dean's recommendation needs to be accepted by the Harvard Corporation before the crest can be officially changed. It will probably happen, though.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

CountDeMoney

Typical...going after the superficial while ignoring the real problem, as Harvard graduates continue to walk among us, procreate, graduate from Harvard.

Grinning_Colossus

The superficial is concrete--it's easier to organize people to oppose a specific symbol than, say, HLS's role in the process of elite reproduction--and, for that reason, changing it is attainable. It lets people strike a tangible blow for social justice before they go on to work for corporate law firms.

Grinning_Colossus

And now it's official. Apparently the shield only dates to 1936, so it's not like they're discarding an ancient symbol from when some slaveowner donated his land in ye olde medieval times.