Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on August 03, 2016, 09:48:45 AM
Quote from: Brazen on August 03, 2016, 07:53:34 AM
The brands favoured by Leave and Remain voters. Brexiters are having Iceland ready meals with HP sauce in front of the ITV news, while Remainers are booking their Airbnb break while browsing the BBC website.

http://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/top-10-brands-favoured-remainers-brexiters/1403991

ITV :bleeding:

I'm 2x leave (not even sure what some are) and 7x remain.

When were you last in England? I know all the brands in both lists.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on August 03, 2016, 10:13:52 AM
The brands favoured by Leave and Remain voters. Brexiters are having Iceland ready meals with HP sauce in front of the ITV news, while Remainers are booking their Airbnb break while browsing the BBC website.

http://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/top-10-brands-favoured-remainers-brexiters/1403991

I visit quite commonly, but never have to do supermarket shopping there.
The Health Lottery is lost on me, Cathedral City I have vaguely heard of (it goes with toast...some  cheese product?), Richmond I've no idea.
██████
██████
██████

Agelastus

I be a statistical outlier then. :hmm:

So now, in the interests of providing TMI!!!!

Leave -

HP Sauce - Nope. I buy maybe one bottle of sauce a year and for the last few years I've been buying Jack Daniels Smoky barbecue.

Bisto - Nope, and IIRC probably  :yuk:

ITV News - Nope. I can't remember the last time I watched ITV period (see iPlayer entry)

The Health Lottery - Nope. I just had to google this to find out what it was.

Birds Eye - maybe. A couple of their products are regular features of my shops, but if another brand is on offer and the Birds' Eye is not I'll probably have them instead.

Iceland - maybe. I wander in once every couple of months or so to look and may pick something up given their changed ranges to a few years ago.

Sky News - nope.

Cathedral City - nope and  :yuk:

PG Tips - nope. I don't drink tea and even if I did that's never been a brand bought by anyone in the family (I'm the only non-tea drinker.)

Richmond - nope and very nearly  :yuk:

----------------------------

Remain -

BBC.co.uk - nope. The only time I've been on there other than via a link on another site was for some of their Euro referendum fact check articles.

BBC iPlayer - maybe. I don't watch enough television to actually need to use it, but I've got the app working on my Kindle Fire HDX.

Instagram - Nope. Never used.

London Underground - maybe. As in "yes, this is an iconic logo that I like but it's a service I can't use because I don't live in London. Why is it even on a list like this given the same applies to 80% of the country including several majority remain areas."

Spotify - Nope. Never used.

Airbnb - nope. Again, had to google this to find out what it was.

Linked In - maybe. I actually am a member but have never done much with my profile and only log in rarely.

Virgin Trains - Nope. As in my comment for the London Underground with suitable geographical alterations and without the iconic nature of London Underground's logo. Not to mention that I thought Virgin Trains' services were in leave areas more than remain.

Twitter - nope. Not a member.

Easyjet - maybe. As in I'd probably look for airfares from them in a first instance when travelling to much of Europe, not that I use them regularly.

----------------------------------------

So counting "maybe"s as a score of 0.5 I make myself 1 leave and 2 remain.

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on August 03, 2016, 10:35:46 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 03, 2016, 10:13:52 AM

I visit quite commonly, but never have to do supermarket shopping there.
The Health Lottery is lost on me, Cathedral City I have vaguely heard of (it goes with toast...some  cheese product?), Richmond I've no idea.

I think you need to learn more about your home country, young man. :contract:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Which do I use at least slightly regularly:
Remain - 9
Leave - 7
Let's bomb Russia!

Brazen

I think some nominally British Languishites have just inadvertently failed the citizenship tests :P  :bowler:

Sheilbh

Yeah. Any of you who don't like brown sauce should be deported for suspicious foreign ways.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Not liking brown sauce...I've long known some.
But not liking gravy...That's just uncalled for.

So Richmond. These are fags?
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

Sausages, downmarket by modern standards, midmarket in olden times.

Agelastus

Quote from: Tyr on August 03, 2016, 12:07:39 PM

Sausages.

Possibly made from fags...
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Sheilbh

I mean also the fact. On a Remain-Leave spectrum they're definitely Leave. Provably getting into a fight with a pack of Superkings Black.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on August 03, 2016, 12:07:39 PM
Not liking brown sauce...I've long known some.
But not liking gravy...That's just uncalled for.

Agree on gravy. It's the true North-South divide.

I love brown sauce, so should have seen I'd be a little dubious about Remain/Leave having read this in the Guardian (of course):
QuoteBrown sauce sales are falling: has Britain finally come to its senses?
It was a product of the British empire, and should have gone the same way. But, somehow, brown sauce maintained its place in Britain's affectations for decades – until now, when sales are reportedly down by 19%. It's about time we said goodbye to this taste-bud bully, says one hater
Tony Naylor
Monday 5 January 2015 15.53 GMT

Lord knows on this, the blackest of back-to-work Mondays, we need some good news and reports that sales of brown sauce are plummeting is, surely, reason to rejoice. Yes, according to research by Mintel (research that is, naturally, disputed by Heinz), volume sales of the nefarious brown – less condiment than contaminant – are down by 19%. This can hardly be described as the death knell for HP and Daddies, we still eat 13m kg of this goo each year, but it nonetheless represents a glimmer of hope that Britain's relationship with food is, finally, maturing. Or is it?

Created in the late 1800s, brown sauce reads, tastes and smells like the idle creation of some Phileas Fogg-type, just back and hugely, over-excited about his adventures in the British empire. Dates! Molasses! Tamarind! Cloves! Cayenne pepper! It is not so much a recipe as chauvinistic flag-waving, a smug, muscle-flexing case of: "Look at the size of our spice cupboard." Said exotic ingredients were combined, moreover, with all the sensitivity of the period. Just as in the age of empire we ignored or abused indigenous peoples, so too their ingredients. In brown sauce, they were used to produce an unholy trinity of brutal sweetness, acrid spiciness and vile vinegary twang – one peculiarly British in its lack of culinary sophistication.

That brown sauce was actually invented, more prosaically, by a Nottingham grocer hardly matters. Everything about it, and particularly that picture of the houses of parliament on a bottle of HP, surely confirmed it as the sauce of the establishment. This was the perfect table sauce for jowly, Victorian and Edwardian gentlemen whose palates were so befogged by years of brandy and cigars, grouse and spotted dick, that only this shrill alarm of a sauce could pierce that bleary, weary gastronomic gloom.

Reputedly, Harold Wilson exaggerated his love of HP (it became known as, "Wilson's gravy") because he thought it portrayed him as a man of the people. However, in reality, it was already the habit of a man out of time. You can bet that, by the 1960s, the Beatles and Britain's other hep cats were already gravitating to the sunnier, smoother and far sexier US flavours of ketchup (production of which had been suspended in the UK between 1939 and 1948). Undoubtedly, in the land of bland, under-seasoned food, you needed something to jazz up your dinner, but why choose effluent when tomato sauce was in play?

It is an argument that continues to this day, of course. Perhaps seriously heavy, meaty food can, in certain exceptional circumstances, benefit from the fruity tickle and perky spicing of brown sauce. It is tolerable with, say, corned beef hash or a scotch egg. About 99% of the time, though, it is just a bully, a clod-hopping collision of flavours marring good bacon on a butty, skewing a plate of sausage and mash, or obliterating the varied, relatively delicate flavours of a full English. It was a sauce for people who, because the food they were eating was so bad, had no interest in tasting it.

We eat very differently in 2014. As Richard Ford, senior food analyst at Mintel, puts it: "The most common reason for less frequent users to forgo table sauces is that their typical meals do not require these." Whether you exist on pasta ready-meals and takeaway curries, or cook from scratch at home and deliberately buy in fine ingredients prized for their intense flavours, brown sauce has no part to play in that scenario - unless you really like wasting money or have a sick and despicable habit of smothering pizza in brown sauce. In which case, you need to seek professional help.

It is tempting, very tempting, therefore, to put the positive spin on this. If brown sauce really is in decline (and sales of tomato sauce are down by 6%, too), could it be that, in Britain, we are belatedly waking up to the pleasure of tasting ingredients for what they are? Are we now enjoying food in its infinite variety, rather than how it tastes circumscribed by ketchup and HP? Well, maybe. And maybe not. Up in Edinburgh, "soss" (brown sauce, inexplicably, let down with even more vinegar) remains essential to fish 'n' chips while, more significantly, BBQ and other exotic world food sauces are growing in popularity.

Indeed, 40% of regular table sauce users now express a preference for hotter sauces, which suggests that, far from mellowing out, Britain is on the cusp of going nuclear. Could it be goodbye HP and hello Reggae Reggae and piri-piri? Or have you cut out condiments altogether, in order to actually taste your food?
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Latest Westminster poll:
Tories - 42%
Labour - 28%
UKIP - 12%
Lib Dems - 8%
Other - 10%

Edit: That would give the Tories a majority of 86 and Labour under 200 seats. If they keep Corbyn, it will get worse.

:weep:

It's really extraordinary that despite being the only totally pro-European party in a country where 48% wanted to Remain and the only opposition party not to have collapsed into factional infighting and organisational chaos, the Lib Dems still can't convince people to trust them again :lol: :console:

Also a few polls that really put the lie to the whole Bregret idea. According to them the UK would still vote to Leave.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 03, 2016, 04:42:53 PM
Also a few polls that really put the lie to the whole Bregret idea. According to them the UK would still vote to Leave.

The triumph of hopelessness over experience.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

Leave brands 0/10

Remain brands 1/10

It is as though I don't really care one way or the other, with a very marginal inclination to remain.  :hmm:

Also, it is as though I'm not british.  :bowler:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014