News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Icelanders, to me!

Started by Liep, February 01, 2016, 08:50:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Legbiter on February 01, 2016, 04:12:00 PM
Yeah I'd if possible want to maintain a perfect 100% Languishbrah survivability score for Iceland, so any biking trips should be done in the summertime.  :lol: Plus if you did show up in October I'd not only mother hen you every 3 hours to check if you were not freezing to death by the roadside, I'd involve the entire Legbiter clan in the business of Keeping Liep Alive as well.  :contract:

Damn. I am starting to understand why the entire population of this country is a few Hong Kong people hives.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Liep on February 01, 2016, 11:13:02 AM
Hmm, I'm used to cold, wet and windy days but then it never freezes in autumn here. :hmm: The atlantic storms might also be tougher on you guys than us as we're usually a little sheltered by Norway or Britain.

I think it might be better to wait until I have time in the summer months. :lol: Maybe Maidera instead? Also an Atlantic island but with much better weather.

Madeira (:P) is what I want to do in October. Picked Canaries for March as is supposed to be warmer their earlier than Maidera. We shall see...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Legbiter

Quote from: Liep on February 01, 2016, 11:16:14 AM
How about hiking in October though? I'd cut the vacation down to maybe 10 days and do a 6-7 day walk.

(Direct tickets are on offer atm :P)

Hiking's much more feasible as you're always a fairly short distance away from relative wilderness and you can go together with groups on short but excellent hikes and be back for dinner in town.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Liep

Does the Legbiter clan speak Danish? A stay in a Reykjavik hostel with daily hikes also sounds really good (and warmer). I think I'm going to pull the trigger on that, how's the northern lights in October?

Iceland is 2 hours closer by flight than Madeira so there's also that.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

viper37

How close are the danish and icelandic languages? :)

Besides english, what are the most popular 2nd/3rd language in Iceland and Denmark?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Liep

Quote from: viper37 on February 02, 2016, 01:48:00 AM
How close are the danish and icelandic languages? :)

Besides english, what are the most popular 2nd/3rd language in Iceland and Denmark?

Very different, Icelandic is norse and Danish is more Germanic with a bit of norse left in there, but Denmark used to own Iceland. :menace:

Probably Turkish or Arabic. :P (german/french/spanish in that order for high schoolers)
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Norgy

Quote from: garbon on February 01, 2016, 04:19:32 PM
Quote from: Liep on February 01, 2016, 11:13:02 AM
Hmm, I'm used to cold, wet and windy days but then it never freezes in autumn here. :hmm: The atlantic storms might also be tougher on you guys than us as we're usually a little sheltered by Norway or Britain.

I think it might be better to wait until I have time in the summer months. :lol: Maybe Maidera instead? Also an Atlantic island but with much better weather.

Madeira (:P) is what I want to do in October. Picked Canaries for March as is supposed to be warmer their earlier than Maidera. We shall see...

You'll be wading in Scandies and German tourists.  :ph34r:

Syt

Madeira is nice; esp. the Western part which is not quite as touristy as the area between Funchal and the airport (or at least it was in 2008).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

I've always thought biking around malta would be quite lovely.
Do really want to go to Iceland. Seems like the kind of place where I'd need to go with friends though.
██████
██████
██████

Liep

Quote from: Tyr on February 02, 2016, 06:55:33 AM
Do really want to go to Iceland. Seems like the kind of place where I'd need to go with friends though.

I figure everybody else would be there for the nature so should be difficult to find people to hike with.

viper37

Quote from: Liep on February 02, 2016, 03:29:41 AM
but Denmark used to own Iceland. :menace:
I knew :)  I was wondering if it was for long enough to influence language :)

Probably Turkish or Arabic. :P (german/french/spanish in that order for high schoolers)
should have know :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Maladict

Apart from the homicidal Maltese attitude to driving, it might well be.

And it might be too small for cycling, you can cut across the island in less than an hour.

Josquius

Quote from: Maladict on February 09, 2016, 09:08:26 AM

And it might be too small for cycling, you can cut across the island in less than an hour.

No idea about the drivers. I've never been.
But the coast is around 200 km around. Seems an ok distance.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on February 09, 2016, 05:50:45 PM
Quote from: Maladict on February 09, 2016, 09:08:26 AM

No idea about the drivers. I've never been.
But the coast is around 200 km around. Seems an ok distance.

In Malta they drive like crazy and the roads are terrible. Not sure if biking around the island is that great an idea. It's a wonderful place to visit, anyway.

Liep

Quote from: Legbiter on February 01, 2016, 04:26:21 PM
Quote from: Liep on February 01, 2016, 11:16:14 AM
How about hiking in October though? I'd cut the vacation down to maybe 10 days and do a 6-7 day walk.

(Direct tickets are on offer atm :P)

Hiking's much more feasible as you're always a fairly short distance away from relative wilderness and you can go together with groups on short but excellent hikes and be back for dinner in town.

Work scheduled changed a bit, it's confirmed for 8 days in late August. Hiking only.