Milan turns off school WiFi because of health concerns

Started by Syt, January 22, 2016, 09:36:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Luddites. :bleeding:

http://www.theskepticsguide.org/arrivaderci-wifi

QuoteThe mayor of an Italian town has ordered the WiFi be turned off in two of its schools due to heath fears. As reported by La Stampa:

"We are not opposed to technology – says the mayor (Livio Tola). Ours is a choice based on the precautionary principle." He adds: "We are not able to say for sure whether electromagnetic waves are harmful or not, we read a lot about it on the web and we know that some municipalities have already adopted this measure." When in doubt, therefore, best to turn off the signal. "And who knows, in 20 years, someone does not thank us."

The claims of ill effects caused by WiFi are scientifically unfounded. WiFi occupies the same part of the spectrum as microwaves, not to mention the cosmic background radiation which exists everywhere. We are bathed in energy rays (radiation) of all types, yet the fear of one specific type of device – WiFi, a relatively low-emitting source of microwaves – is deemed a health hazard to children.

Is there really anything to fear from WiFi exposure to children? As described by Marc Leger over at the Atoms and Numbers blog:

"There is some fear associated with the microwave radiation used for WiFi, but let us recognize that microwave transmission has been in use in Canada for many decades. The Trans-Canada Microwave was built in the 1950s to transmit radio and television signals from coast to coast, before the era of satellite dishes. 139 towers spanned the country, using similar-frequency radiation to what is used by WiFi today. They are used for transmitting live programming and telephone calls from one coast to the other. These systems were used by television networks and telephone networks well into the 1980s, when fiber optic cables became commonplace. If there are any concerns about the long-term effects of exposure to microwave radiation, we can check with people who lived near these towers for many decades. In fact, there is no evidence of any ill health coming from exposure to these microwaves.

With the lack of any evidence of short-term to medium-term health concerns stemming from WiFi radiation, and with no viable mechanism to explain how it could harm the body, parents should be reassured that their children will not be affected by this technology."

Somehow, the mayors, principals, board members, and other people around the world making decisions to pull the WiFi in their schools fail to find the studies and reviews which show no ill effects in children, or adults, as a result of  exposure to WiFi emitting electronic devices.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Norgy

Valmy

There is a certain circular logic to it to. So we had our hearing about smart meters and all the nuts were there telling us how the EMF pollution and Wi-Fi was going to kill them all. What was a key piece of evidence? That's right Europeans are turning off Wi-Fi in schools...PROOF!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: The Brain on January 22, 2016, 09:53:28 AM
Good enough for Languish use. :)

Our North American posters would call it "a short commute."
—Stephen Jay Gould

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on January 22, 2016, 09:51:16 AM
Quote from: The Brain on January 22, 2016, 09:46:00 AM
Borgofranco d'Ivrea = Milan?

It's only 150 - 200 km from Milan. :P

In this case, it's actually closer to Turin, 50 km, a more European commute.  :P

PS: mayor from the 5-Star Movement  :hmm: Pedrito has more funny anecdotes about them I bet.

dps

We are not able to say for sure whether electromagnetic waves are harmful or not

If you're worried about that, better turn off the lights, too.

The Brain

Quote from: dps on January 22, 2016, 11:02:07 AM
We are not able to say for sure whether electromagnetic waves are harmful or not

If you're worried about that, better turn off the lights, too.

Fine, they'll use natural light. :angry:

Pedrito

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 22, 2016, 10:05:23 AM
Quote from: Syt on January 22, 2016, 09:51:16 AM
Quote from: The Brain on January 22, 2016, 09:46:00 AM
Borgofranco d'Ivrea = Milan?

It's only 150 - 200 km from Milan. :P

In this case, it's actually closer to Turin, 50 km, a more European commute.  :P

PS: mayor from the 5-Star Movement  :hmm: Pedrito has more funny anecdotes about them I bet.
Suffice to say that some MPs of the 5-star Movement are rather vocal supporters of the chemtrail Conspiracy theory, and even asked about it during Parliament's question time.

O Silvio, where art thou?

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot: