Started by Berkut, January 17, 2016, 08:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

"Homeowner shot after he pulled a gun on police."
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Barrister

Quote from: Jaron on January 18, 2016, 04:15:29 PM

Berkie has nothing to worry about.  He's white. :)

DG - I did specify to call them first...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on January 18, 2016, 04:17:44 PM
"Sir, thank you far calling us.  I appreciate your cooperation.  Can you please turn around and put your hands behind your back?"

dps

Quote from: Berkut on January 17, 2016, 08:28:41 PM

I am not even sure how to talk to them about it - and it seems like NOT talking to them about it might be the worst possible choice. I am sure it is being talked about in school.

Just straight up ask them, "Do you want to talk about what happened to X and Y?".

My guess is that, no they don't want to talk about it, at least not to you, but you'll have given them the opportunity to do so if they do want to.  And if either or both of them actually do want to talk to you about it, they'll say no to start with, but then come to you separately later.

Just don't make it seem like they have to talk to you, or are expected to talk to you, about it.

Jaron

Quote from: Barrister on January 18, 2016, 04:17:44 PM
Quote from: Jaron on January 18, 2016, 04:15:29 PM

Berkie has nothing to worry about.  He's white. :)

I wish it were so.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/article43654638.html
Winner of THE grumbler point.

crazy canuck

This is really kind of freaking me out. I don't think it is possible that either of my kids would do something like that...but I suspect that their parents probably thought the same thing.

Yeah, when I see the kinds of pressure kids have these days (from social media to all the doom and gloom speculation about their generation) it is a concern.  The best we can do is let them know how much we love them, let them know we will always be there for them and that if they need to talk we are always there - then hope they take us up on the offer if the need arises.

dps

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 18, 2016, 05:06:44 PM
let them know we will always be there for them and that if they need to talk we are always there

Well, actually, hopefully, they'll outlive you, so you won't always be there for them.  Though when something like this happens, it's probably not a good time to point that out to them.

crazy canuck

Quote from: dps on January 18, 2016, 05:22:57 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 18, 2016, 05:06:44 PM
let them know we will always be there for them and that if they need to talk we are always there

Well, actually, hopefully, they'll outlive you, so you won't always be there for them.  Though when something like this happens, it's probably not a good time to point that out to them.

Hopefully I live at least long enough to see them through the teen years and early adulthood.  You know the thing this thread is about  ;)

Berkut

Quote from: Oexmelin on January 18, 2016, 02:49:48 PM
Quote from: Berkut on January 18, 2016, 10:18:14 AM
I actually do have a (moderately) secured pistol in the house, that is actually technically illegal, since it isn't registered in New York. I've been meaning to get rid of it for some time, actually, but am not really sure how to do so.

If you are still in Rochester, NY, the city organizes from time to time anonymous buybacks. http://www.cityofrochester.gov/article.aspx?id=8589966918

A Wegmans gift card! That is worth more than face value!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: dps on January 18, 2016, 04:43:52 PM

I am not even sure how to talk to them about it - and it seems like NOT talking to them about it might be the worst possible choice. I am sure it is being talked about in school.

Just straight up ask them, "Do you want to talk about what happened to X and Y?".

My guess is that, no they don't want to talk about it, at least not to you, but you'll have given them the opportunity to do so if they do want to.  And if either or both of them actually do want to talk to you about it, they'll say no to start with, but then come to you separately later.

Just don't make it seem like they have to talk to you, or are expected to talk to you, about it.

That sounds like some outstanding advice. Thanks.

It opens up the door without trying to shove them through it...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

lustindarkness

Quote from: Berkut on January 18, 2016, 08:47:33 PM
Quote from: dps on January 18, 2016, 04:43:52 PM

That sounds like some outstanding advice. Thanks.

It opens up the door without trying to shove them through it...

Yeap good advice. Ask if they are not comfortable talking to you, ask if there a competent adult available they can talk to? Counselor coach, teacher, family etc.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

DGuller

Quote from: lustindarkness on January 18, 2016, 10:33:00 PM
Yeap good advice. Ask if they are not comfortable talking to you, ask if there a competent adult available they can talk to? Counselor coach, teacher, family etc.
If my dad talked to me like that, I would be very creeped out.  Just keep in mind that there is probably 99%+ chance that Berkut's son has no suicidal thoughts to act on, and if Berkut start going touchy-feely on him, Berkut Jr. is going to start having all sorts of weird thoughts.  "Why is my dad talking funny to me, what did I do, what does it look like I'm doing or about to do?  :huh:"

Razgovory

Well, your dad is kinda crazy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: DGuller on January 18, 2016, 10:56:01 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on January 18, 2016, 10:33:00 PM
If my dad talked to me like that, I would be very creeped out.  Just keep in mind that there is probably 99%+ chance that Berkut's son has no suicidal thoughts to act on, and if Berkut start going touchy-feely on him, Berkut Jr. is going to start having all sorts of weird thoughts.  "Why is my dad talking funny to me, what did I do, what does it look like I'm doing or about to do?  :huh:"

I'm not advising him to get all touchy-feely about it.  In fact, quite the opposite.  I'm just suggesting that he asks them if they want to talk about it, and if they do, fine, but if they don't (which they probably won't, IMO), he should just drop it and not make a big deal out of it.  Because you're right, making a big deal out of it and/or insisting that they have a discussion about it probably would creep them out.

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on January 18, 2016, 11:04:43 PM
Well, your dad is kinda crazy.
That's not a nice thing to say to someone.