Main Menu

Teen suicide

Started by Berkut, January 17, 2016, 08:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: DGuller on January 18, 2016, 11:45:33 AM
Quote from: Malthus on January 18, 2016, 11:37:14 AM
Quote from: DGuller on January 18, 2016, 11:33:34 AM
I assumed the premise was that there was something special about the teen years that makes one more prone to suicide, that it's a dangerous phase of growing up.

I think the premise is more like 'it is very surprising and concerning, to adults (and particularly to parents), to see teens who outwardly appear to have everything going for them commit suicide'.
If that's the premise, then I misunderstood it.  But that goes for most suicides, I imagine, not just in one's teen years.

Probably. The disconnect comes from the fact that teens who commit suicide haven't had time to accumulate the sort of long-term concerns adults worry about - money, job, divorce/marriage problems, etc. Ultimately (the thinking among parents and concerned adults goes, anyway) many teen problems are purely temporary - a girl/boy rejects you, problems with classmates, pressure to do well in school.   
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

Berkut

The premise was really just "Fuck, this sucks, and I am not sure what I should do, if anything".

Wasn't trying to answer any profound questions about the rate of teen suicide in general.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on January 18, 2016, 10:16:29 AM
Quote from: Martinus on January 18, 2016, 06:53:12 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 17, 2016, 09:57:42 PM
There was an Atlantic article about 6 months back about suicides in the Palo Alto area.  The thesis was that children of high achievers have an impossible amount of pressure to compete.

Phew, so Berkut's kids are safe then.

Thank you, thank you, I will be here all week. Try the veal. :P

You are such a dick. :P

Thanks Marty, I actually could use a chuckle. :)

I couldn't help myself. It was just too tempting. :P

Jacob

Quote from: Malthus on January 18, 2016, 11:52:23 AM
Probably. The disconnect comes from the fact that teens who commit suicide haven't had time to accumulate the sort of long-term concerns adults worry about - money, job, divorce/marriage problems, etc. Ultimately (the thinking among parents and concerned adults goes, anyway) many teen problems are purely temporary - a girl/boy rejects you, problems with classmates, pressure to do well in school.

Yeah, but that's not the perspective most teenagers have. "This too shall pass" is - at least in my experience - not something you internalize until you've been through several bad stretches and come out on the other side.

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on January 18, 2016, 12:32:56 PM
Quote from: Malthus on January 18, 2016, 11:52:23 AM

Yeah, but that's not the perspective most teenagers have. "This too shall pass" is - at least in my experience - not something you internalize until you've been through several bad stretches and come out on the other side.

Absolutely: that's a big part of becoming an adult. Hence the disconnect between adults and teens.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Habbaku

Quote from: Berkut on January 18, 2016, 10:18:14 AM
Quote from: DGuller on January 18, 2016, 10:04:39 AM
Apart from anything else, seems like the one obvious thing is to not have guns in the house.  If all else fails and your kid's suicide attempt catches you completely by surprise, at least give your kid a chance to fuck it up.

I actually do have a (moderately) secured pistol in the house, that is actually technically illegal, since it isn't registered in New York. I've been meaning to get rid of it for some time, actually, but am not really sure how to do so.

Disassemble.  Throw one piece a week into the garbage.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Jaron

Yeah, everything feels a lot worse as a young person.

To live is to suffer as they say.

Another part of the problem is the social media. In days past if you had suicidal thoughts and wanted to talk to someone then you might be forced to talk to a parent, a friend (who might report it to someone else out of concern) a teacher, etc.

Nowadays you can go online to a number of social medias and be anonymous and talk to people who don't know you and don't care about you. While I'm sure many encourage suicidal people to seek help, I am positive there are also some who take the approach of "Its your life. If you aren't happy you should do what you think is best." That kind of advice is very toxic to a very young person who doesn't know better yet. It may strengthen their resolve to end their life.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

viper37

Quote from: Berkut on January 17, 2016, 08:28:41 PM
I am not even sure how to talk to them about it - and it seems like NOT talking to them about it might be the worst possible choice. I am sure it is being talked about in school.
I'm not sure you could see the signs, unless your kid had a severe depression.
And I'm not sure a parent is the best person to talk about it either.

Maybe talk about life, how it is fun to live, instead.

Don't push your life objectives on your kid, as in the obvious "I failed as a basketball player but you'll succeed at reaching the NBA".
If he likes competition, he likes it.  If he doesn't like it, he doesn't like it.  The line is very thin betwee supporting your child and pushing him too far.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

I assumed the premise was that there was something special about the teen years that makes one more prone to suicide, that it's a dangerous phase of growing up.

Well, often it's in the young adult phase that certain mental illnesses emerge.  Things like Schizophrenia.  The biggest thing is to watch for changes in mood and behavior.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jaron

Quote from: Razgovory on January 18, 2016, 02:39:14 PM

Well, often it's in the young adult phase that certain mental illnesses emerge.  Things like Schizophrenia.  The biggest thing is to watch for changes in mood and behavior.

And then you have people like Raz who get bullied by people like Martinus. Now our boy Raz is strong enough to withstand such things but what about the person who is on edge and just needs a little push and along comes the Martiniii of the world to give that push? Despicable.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Oexmelin

I actually do have a (moderately) secured pistol in the house, that is actually technically illegal, since it isn't registered in New York. I've been meaning to get rid of it for some time, actually, but am not really sure how to do so.

If you are still in Rochester, NY, the city organizes from time to time anonymous buybacks. http://www.cityofrochester.gov/article.aspx?id=8589966918
Que le grand cric me croque !

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Jaron on January 18, 2016, 02:23:46 PM
Yeah, everything feels a lot worse as a young person.

Yes. Everything for kids is experienced in extremes. What's good is incredible and what's bad is devastating.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

Quote from: Oexmelin on January 18, 2016, 02:49:48 PM

If you are still in Rochester, NY, the city organizes from time to time anonymous buybacks. http://www.cityofrochester.gov/article.aspx?id=8589966918

If you don't want to wait, and don't care about the money, I'm 99.8% sure that if you call up the local police they will gladly take it off your hands.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

I wouldn't put myself at the mercy of common sense of police officers.