And we're back!

Main Menu

and now.... Honduras.

Started by I Killed Kenny, June 28, 2009, 02:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: alfred russel on July 08, 2009, 09:14:14 AM
Quote from: Neil on July 08, 2009, 08:50:20 AM
Fortunately, he wasn't actually the president anymore.  The positions taken by the other American states seem mainly to be founded in a desire to create another left-wind dictator (Venezuala) or profound ignorance (the US).

Do you really think there was "profound ignorance" on the part of the US, or do you think the US is responding with the aim of taking the air out of the balloon of the left wing blame everything on the CIA crowd?
Do you think that their reaction can successfully do that?  The left-wing, blame-the-CIA crowd isn't responsive to facts or logic.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on July 08, 2009, 09:24:40 AM
No comprendo.
Opponents of the US such as Chavez get "I'm not here to lecture."  Allies of the US such as Israel and Karzai get lectures.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 08, 2009, 09:27:44 AM
Opponents of the US such as Chavez get "I'm not here to lecture."  Allies of the US such as Israel and Karzai get lectures.

The best way to handle people like Chavez is ignore them as completely as possible.

Israel seems to do whatever they feel they must.  We make suggestions and they pretty much do whatever it is they think it is best for themselves and we rarely protest too much.

As for Karzai...well that is different since our soldiers are defending his government.  We kind of have a stake (and influence) in what he does we don't have with the Iranians and Chavez so why should we waste our breath?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Neil on July 08, 2009, 09:26:46 AM
Fortunately, he wasn't actually the president anymore.  The positions taken by the other American states seem mainly to be founded in a desire to create another left-wind dictator (Venezuala) or profound ignorance (the US).

Do you really think there was "profound ignorance" on the part of the US, or do you think the US is responding with the aim of taking the air out of the balloon of the left wing blame everything on the CIA crowd?
Do you think that their reaction can successfully do that?  The left-wing, blame-the-CIA crowd isn't responsive to facts or logic.

But it makes them look stupid if they still want to blame us.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on July 08, 2009, 09:32:31 AM

Since when do they care about that?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 08, 2009, 09:27:44 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 08, 2009, 09:24:40 AM
No comprendo.

We have leverage over Israel and Karzai. If we want to lecture them they have to listen and in some cases respond. What good can come from lecturing people like Chavez that make their career based on fighting wars of words against the US?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 08, 2009, 09:25:55 AM
Quote from: The Larch on July 08, 2009, 09:21:18 AM
An agreement of any kind is reached between all parts. No need to have Zelaya return to office, I doubt it could be even possible anyway.
You're granting Zelaya veto over Honduran membership in the OAS.

Apparently the interim government left it anyway before the expulsion vote was held, so that doesn't seem to matter a lot to them. It may be a "You're not kicking us out, we're leaving!" kind of answer, but anyway, they don't seem to care much about the OAS.

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on July 08, 2009, 09:34:46 AM

Since when do they care about that?

Chavez is (theoretically) trying to spark a Latin American movement. The dumber he looks, the less traction his anti american rhetoric is going to get.

viper37

Quote from: KRonn on July 08, 2009, 08:38:58 AM
However, I guess it can be argued that the courts should have waited, that the referendum was just being proposed for voting, and not being implemented. But if such an unlawful referendum is allowed, it could probably be argued that it sets a dangerous course and one that would be more problematic.
as per the Constitution, the army is in charge of safekeeping the voting boxes. 
The President wanted a referendum and the Court said no (as weel as the Congress).
Zelaya ordered the army to participate in the referendum, the Supreme Court said no, the army obeyed the court, the President fired the Chief of the army, wich the court then ordered reinstated.
The President then marched to the base with his supporters to get back the boxes, and succeeded as the army was not in a mood to fire on the civilians.

Following that, was there any doubt the guy would use any means to maintain his power?  Was there really any choice left for the Court to order its destitution?

I don't think so.

@Larch:
non binding or not is irrelevant.  The Supreme Court, in charge of interpreting the Constitution said it was illegal, therefore it is. 
That's what happens in democratic countries with working justice system, you take your chance to the court, but once it has reached its decision, you either abide by it or you suffer the consequences.
IIRC, the Constitution can be changed by 2/3 vote of the Congress, except for the articles wich can't be changed.

The guy was simply trying to grab power, the way his friend Chavez did.  US&Canada, among others are trying to appease Chavez by declaring it illegal, but I just don't see how we can disregard court decisions of other countries juste because we don't like it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on July 08, 2009, 09:26:46 AM

They've always looked stupid and that never stopped them before.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on July 08, 2009, 09:31:11 AM
The best way to handle people like Chavez is ignore them as completely as possible.
that's not really reasonable when the guy is trying to extend his influence and perveting democracy outside his borders.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Larch

Quote from: viper37 on July 08, 2009, 09:41:25 AM@Larch:
non binding or not is irrelevant.  The Supreme Court, in charge of interpreting the Constitution said it was illegal, therefore it is. 
That's what happens in democratic countries with working justice system, you take your chance to the court, but once it has reached its decision, you either abide by it or you suffer the consequences.
IIRC, the Constitution can be changed by 2/3 vote of the Congress, except for the articles wich can't be changed.

The guy was simply trying to grab power, the way his friend Chavez did.  US&Canada, among others are trying to appease Chavez by declaring it illegal, but I just don't see how we can disregard court decisions of other countries juste because we don't like it.

I don't dissagree that the whole referendum issue stank to high Heaven, what I dissagree with is with the execution of the whole affair.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on July 08, 2009, 09:45:56 AM
that's not really reasonable when the guy is trying to extend his influence and perveting democracy outside his borders.

Fortunately for us Chavez is an inept idiot who will dig his own grave.  No reason to interrupt him ruining his prospects.

viper37

Quote from: The Larch on July 08, 2009, 09:46:03 AM
I don't dissagree that the whole referendum issue stank to high Heaven, what I dissagree with is with the execution of the whole affair.
Ok, but what real, practical choice did they have?  What happens once they arrest him and send him to jail?  Nicaragua is moving troops to the border, Venezuala and others are threatening to use force to reinstate Zelaya.

Out of the country, he can't be put back on the throne.  In the country, he is a danger do democracy.

I see as the same kind of action that leads countries like the UK&Canada to remove the passport and expel citizens who preach hate against the West.  These people are judged to be too dangerous to be kept on national soil.  Why can't it be the same with a former President?

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on July 08, 2009, 09:47:31 AM
Fortunately for us Chavez is an inept idiot who will dig his own grave.  No reason to interrupt him ruining his prospects.
I do not share your optimism.